How to Slice an Avocado

Avocados are fruits, though they are quite different from their sweeter tree fruit relatives. Of all fruits, avocados are the highest in oil and protein, making them a great energy source. Avocados are native to areas of Central and South America and have been around for nearly 7,000 years according to archaeological evidence. Historian and writer Fernández de Oviedo was one of the first Europeans to try an avocado. He saw a similarity between the shape of avocados and pears; because of this, he ate his avocado with cheese. His instinct was right on target. Over time avocados became a popular addition to Mexican and South American cuisine, served alongside cheese in dishes ranging from guacamole to tacos to burritos to enchiladas. Today avocados are eaten in a variety of recipes and preparations, from savory to spicy to sweet. Here are a few tasty avocado recipes on my site:

Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowls - How to Slice an Avocado Tutorial

Quinoa Burrito Bowls

Smoky Guacamole

Avocado Cilantro Hummus

My friend Gaby Dalkin has a terrific cookbook out called Absolutely Avocados, with tons of terrific avocado recipes and ideas. It’s worth checking out if you love avocado as much as I do.

Avocados are best when slightly soft, but they have a habit of ripening quickly. I like to buy my avocados when they’re still slightly firm so they don’t become overly ripe before I use them. If necessary, you can always speed up ripening by storing them in a paper bag along with a banana overnight. Be sure to add them to your lunch if you’re in need of a quick pick-me-up. In the mood to be adventurous? Try them for breakfast! Their buttery texture makes them a nutritionally powerful topping for toast. Mash them up and spread them onto toast like butter if you’re vegan or lactose intolerant. Add a little sprinkle of sea salt, and you’ve got a seriously tasty, healthy way to start the day!

How to Slice an Avocado

You will need

• Avocado
  • Cutting board
  • Sharp knife
  • Spoon
  • Fresh lemon (optional)
Total Time: 5 Minutes
Servings: Varies
  • Before slicing open your avocado, use this quick trick to test for ripeness. Gently remove the stem and check the color of the avocado flesh beneath. A yellowish green is unripe, bright green is perfect and brown means your avocado is probably past its prime. It should yield to gentle pressure but not feel overly soft when squeezed.
  • How to Slice an Avocado - Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial for Slicing and Peeling an AvocadoStart by inserting the blade of your knife into the avocado. Then, very carefully with the knife still in place, turn the avocado around the blade so that you make a circular cut all the way around.
  • How to Slice an Avocado - Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial for Slicing and Peeling an AvocadoUse your hands to twist and separate the two halves of the avocado.
  • How to Slice an Avocado - Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial for Slicing and Peeling an AvocadoNow you have 2 avocado halves. The pit will be left in one half. The pit can easily be removed by very carefully and gently inserting the point of your knife into the surface of the seed, then lifting it out. A gentle twisting motion sometimes helps.
  • How to Slice an Avocado - Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial for Slicing and Peeling an AvocadoAt this point, there are two ways you can go about slicing the avocado. The first method is my favorite. Turn the avocado halves flat side down against your cutting surface. Slice the halves in half again through the peel, so you have four quarters of avocado.
  • How to Slice an Avocado - Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial for Slicing and Peeling an AvocadoPull the peel gently off of each quarter; if the avocado is ripe the peel will release easily from the slices.
  • How to Slice an Avocado - Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial for Slicing and Peeling an AvocadoContinue slicing or dicing the quarters depending on what you need.
  • How to Slice an Avocado - Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial for Slicing and Peeling an AvocadoAlternatively, you can slice the avocado in the peel. This method is a bit faster, but won't produce the neatest slices. Slice through the avocado flesh while the avocado is still in the peel, without slicing through the peel.
  • How to Slice an Avocado - Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial for Slicing and Peeling an AvocadoIf you like, you can also cut the avocado into chunks by slicing vertically and then horizontally across.
  • How to Slice an Avocado - Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial for Slicing and Peeling an AvocadoRemove the sliced or diced avocado by scooping out the flesh with a spoon.
  • How to Slice an Avocado - Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial for Slicing and Peeling an AvocadoIf you don't plan to eat the avocado immediately, have a lemon on hand to squeeze fresh lemon juice on the slices. This will help to keep them from browning.

Category: Cooking Tutorials, Gluten Free, Healthy, How To, In the Kitchen, Pareve, Recipes, Slide Show, Snacks, Tomato Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

1. I love avocados no matter how it’s prepared :)

2. Maureen says:

When I add my avocado to a salad, I place the entire pip into the center of the salad. I have no idea how it works but it keeps the avocado from going brown for a few hours. Try it and see. It really works.

3. Love it in my Smoothies … Adds a great creaminess with out being bad for you !

4. You are such an artist! Oh my!

5. Liza Hluska says:

I created that Tori!!!

6. i like to drizzle the oil from a can of Sardines onto Dry Rye Toast then top with thin slices of Avocado then lay a few Sardines on top and top with a sliced hot pickled Chile it makes an almost perfect open faced sandwich …

7. daily…we had an avo and cherimoya orchard in Santa Barbara

8. one of my favorites avocado smashed on toast with blk pepper and lemon juice

9. I love avocado with grapefruit on toast!

10. Gina L Tin says:

Birmingham SeventySix -is there still a cherimoya orchard there?
    I haven’t had one here, only in Peru! Love to know where I could buy some!

11. That’s a pretty avocado you have! I could live on them. I put them on just about everything except pizza!

12. I just cut in half like your photo. Take a teaspoon and mash within the half Avocado adding course black pepper and sea salt to taste. I eat it right out of the shell or use a cracker to dip out.

13. Thanks to this post I picked up some avocados to make with dinner. Yum!

14. Iain Young says:

If you can find Sharwell avocados they are far superior to Haas in every way.

15. of course!! the ONLY way

16. I love to marinate the slices with champagne vinegar only for 5 min ( longer makes it melt) but I have this great salad w it! Sautee wild mushrooms like shitaki and let them be ice cold, chop finely red onion , , peel zucchini& grate long strips, grat long strips carrots and chop small kale& 2 slices or romaine chopped. Toast pecan nuts chop in chunks. Vinaigrette 1 cup white champagne vinegar, i tsp honey & salt& pepper to taste, 1 tsp coarse ground mustard or I like a kick, i put 1 tsp dry mustard powder shake it up and pour over lightly toss serve in avocado shells! I had this in New York city Brooklyn at a coffee house.

17. Tis really good and only 1 romaine leaf cause of bitterness if you’ like it add more!

18. Uh, yes of course. Avocado tastes wonderful and is so versatile.

19. It’s like fruit butter.

20. All you need is a knife , a spoon and salt cut open enjoy .

21. Lovely on toast with vegemite as well.

22. Aida Sicheri says:

My mouth started to water!!!!

23. i am from puerto rico and sometimes we ate avocado with fresh bread from the bakery..just slice and make a sandwich also with bananas..lol

24. It’s good on a bagel!

25. Sheena Hill says:

On matzah with crushed red pepper!

26. Andrea Mucci says:

I eat mine on Wasa crackers, mashed with sea salt like you mentioned.

27. Simplicity itself! My lunch once a month:)

28. I love to smush it up and mix with cottage cheese. Very good.

29. <3 avocados!! And, yes, I have had them mashed and on toast! Celish!

30. Smear them on some sourdough bread top with shredded cheese, I like Jack, and toast the top in a toaster oven!

31. Marsi Thrash says:

That has become my new breakfast!

32. Just had avocado in a low carb wrap with red leaf lettuce, red onions, crushed spicy olive bruschetta topping, Sardines, squeeze of fresh lemon & olive oil.

33. After opening the avocado I lay the side with the seed on my cutting board, seed up. Then I take my chef’s knife and chop strongly into the seed. The knife sticks, I carefully twist the seed out and deposit it in the organic trash bucket. My son, who is a sous chef, showed me this trick.

• Elle says:

That’s what I do too to get the pit out. As for getting the avocado flesh neatly out of the skin, I use a grapefruit (curved end) knife. Works like a charm, even on avocados that may be a bit on the underripe side.

34. OMG!! The first time I had avocado with salt on bread was in Puerto Rico years ago and it was delicious! It’s a favorite breakfast item there and when they first offered me some, I was like “Ew!” Then I tried it and fell in love!! ;)

35. Helene Harpman says:

Try some lime juice instead of lemon juice next time you season an avocado. It seems like a slightly better fit. My favorite sandwich? Sliced avocado, one slice of baby swiss, one sliced hard boiled egg, on bread with a light shmear of mayo on each side of good bread. It’s a dinner!