How to Make a Vegan Egg Substitute

Vegan Egg Substitute - How to Make Flax Eggs and Chia Eggs

I often get questions on my site about how to “veganize” recipes, especially for baked goods. The main issue is eggs, which are present in almost every baked recipe I post. Eggs are an important binder, they are essential in many baked recipes. Luckily there is an easy, healthy, all-natural substitute for eggs that will work in almost any baked recipe – flax or chia seeds. When these seeds are ground into a meal and mixed with water, they thicken and become gel-like, similar to a raw egg. They bind like eggs in most baked goods, making them a great choice for vegans and folks with egg allergies.

Both flax and chia seeds have their own unique health benefits. Flax is a rich source of fiber, protein and omega 3 fatty acids. Chia is a complete protein, and it’s being studied for its potentially positive effects on weight loss, heart health, diabetes and blood pressure. So adding these seeds to your diet is a good idea all around! It’s up to you which seed you’d like to use, they both work equally well as binders. Keep in mind that flax seeds will add a bit of their own flavor to whatever you use them in (no big deal for most quick breads and cookie recipes). Chia seeds have very little flavor and are easily masked, making them a better choice for more delicately flavored pastries and cakes.

Flax seeds can be purchased as a powder, but the pre-ground varieties should not be used when making egg replacers; the oil releases from the seeds during grinding and can cause the powder to turn bad rather quickly. It’s always best to start your egg replacer with whole, raw seeds. Store unused chia or flax seeds in an airtight container or sealed bag and place in the refrigerator or freezer until you’re ready to use again.

The recipe below makes the equivalent of one egg, but feel free to multiply depending on how many eggs you’ll be needing.

How to Make a Vegan Egg Substitute

• 1 tbsp whole raw flax or chia seeds, do not use pre-ground
  • 3 tbsp water

• Spice grinder or mortar and pestle, fine mesh strainer (optional)
Total Time: 15 - 1 Hour
Servings: Equals 1 egg
  • Using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind the flax or chia seeds into a fine meal.
  • Vegan Egg Substitute - How to Make Flax Eggs and Chia EggsTransfer the meal to small bowl. I like to sift with small mesh strainer to be sure that no whole seeds remain, but this is just a personal preference.
  • Vegan Egg Substitute - How to Make Flax Eggs and Chia EggsMix in 3 tbsp of water. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
  • Chia will need at least 15 minutes in the fridge, but an hour is better if you have the time. This gives your egg replacer plenty of time to thicken. Flax generally needs 1 full hour in the fridge. Once thickened, you will have the equivalent of one egg to substitute in your baked goods. Feel free to multiply the above recipe based on your needs.
  • Vegan Egg Substitute - How to Make Flax Eggs and Chia EggsIf you do a lot of baking, you can make some of these eggs in advance and store them in the refrigerator for up to a week. Use tiny Tupperware containers, one for each "egg."
  • Vegan Egg Substitute - How to Make Flax Eggs and Chia Eggs

Category: Baked Goods and Brunch Fare, Cooking Tutorials, Gluten Free, How To, In the Kitchen, Nut Free, Pareve, Recipes, Slide Show, Vegan, Vegetarian

1. Sharona says:

Toda for the specific recipe for the egg substitute, having an egg allergy, I’m always looking to use the flax seed recipe. But, it wasn’t binding well, resulting in a more flat challah. The secret is the letting it set for an hour! I didn’t know that. Looking forward to happy baking days :)

2. Gary Heather says:

Toda Raba I have been looking for a egg substitute

You’re welcome Gary! Keep in mind this is a good substitute for baking quickbreads, cakes, muffins, pancakes, etc., however if you’re looking for a scramble it’s not the best option. :)

3. Bill Evans says:

I have mastered the making of artificial eggs…. but I am having problems making the shells….:)….

4. I bet you got that egg beater on your trip to the antique shop!

5. What would be the name of this tool?

6. Tamara L Van says:

Have had a hand mixer since age 5 :-). They rock. But we use mashes bananas or applesauce in place of eggs when baking. Will give your version a try though.

7. Rhea Parsons says:

Any recipe that saves lives is a good one. Eggs are unnecessary in cooking. There are so many ways to sub for them.

8. Sweet! I have a horrible egg allergy. Thank you.

9. We still use our hand egg beater for Pesach milchig. We inherited it from one of our parents, most likely my in-laws. Works great for matzoh cremslach, its main use. Something of a project to wash. They still make them. Saw one at a major store within the last couple of weeks.

• Jennifer in Montreal says:

Washing it is actually very easy if you follow this tip. Use the bowl from whatever you were making, put it in the sink and fill it with hot, soapy water. Dip the egg beater in and spin the handle for several seconds, as though you were mixing something. Rinse under hot water and your egg beater should be perfectly cleaned. Good luck!

10. Shanna Faris says:

Thank you, Tori. I’m a vegan and I love vegan-izing all your recipes!

11. Jami Robins says:

i’m allergic to flax :(

Jami funny enough I am not allergic to flax, but it does upset my tummy a bit. I thought I was the only one! The good news is, you can use chia seeds. They will work just as well!

12. Need advice how not to get soggy food from wok!!!
    Please !
    I try and cook briskly !!
    Any other advice???

Ira cook on high heat and use an oil with a high smoke point, like grapeseed. Beyond that I won’t be much help… you should check out my friend Jaden’s blog, Steamy Kitchen. She is a genius with the wok!

13. Great!! Very useful indeed Tori, thanks so much!!

14. Daniel W. says:

Thanks for the tip on chia seeds! I used flax seeds once when I happened to be without eggs and was in the mood for sugar cookies; the ground seed gel did its job, but there was a slight flax-ish flavor throughout. I mean, of course, I still ate them, but I’ll definitely try chia seeds the next time around. (Chia seeds are a great add-in for yogurt, too!)

15. Thanks Tori! This is useful also if I run out of eggs and need one or two for a recipe. I usually do have flax seeds for baking.

16. Tania Gordon says:

Thanks for the recipe. My son has an egg allergy so I’m always looking for good substitutes. Have you ever tried to freeze the flax or chia mixture?

17. Amy K. says:

Thanks, Tori. The eggbeater questions are funny! My mother used one, & I got one when I got married. I usually use a whisk these days, but that old eggbeater is VERY useful! :-)
    Re egg replacers, I googled them when I needed an egg replacement in pumpkin (for my vegan, kosher, & gf daughter). I found a great article about different options depending on the need for the egg, e.g. binding, leavening, etc. I used olive oil, water, & a teensy bit of cornstarch, and it worked in my pumpkin pie. I’ll try your recipe next time I need one!

18. Mashugana says:

Thank you, for the excellent ideal of using my favorite flax seed. I never get an aftertaste from mine and I purchase them organic and already ground.
    I am not allergic to flax seed but chia makes my stomach upset!

19. Lisa says:

I love the idea of using flax seed as a replacement. Would dry flax seed alright to use if it’s not pre-grounded?

20. Emily says:

Where can I buy Kosher for Passover Flax seeds.
    Thank you very much.

21. Esther says:

I emailed the Kashruth Council of Canada to ask if chia and flax seeds are kosher for Passover. Here is the reply:
    Hello and thank you for contacting the COR,

They are not kitniyot. Ground flax seeds require Passover certification.

COR – Kashruth Council of Canada