Top 25 of 2013

Tori Avey's Top 25 of 2013

This week marks my fourth “Blogiversary!” I can’t believe that four whole years have gone by since I published my very first food blog. If you had told me four years ago that in 2013 I would…

…exchange recipes with Richard Simmons

…become Twitter friends with Nigella Lawson (squee!)

…co-write and executive produce a sci fi television pilot

…hang out with Duff Goldman and make his family recipe for Mushroom Barley Soup

…drink green smoothies on a regular basis

…if you had told me ANY of that four years ago, I would have asked you what cocktail you were drinking, and where might I indulge in one? Yet here we are! Life is funny and surprising and never, ever dull.

To celebrate the end of 2013, I decided to put together a list with some of my very favorite recipes from the past year. This list includes recipes that I make on the regular and serve to my own family, as well as a few fun and interesting posts from my other website The History Kitchen. I narrowed it down to 25, which was tough! Here they are in no particular order. What kinds of recipes and food history would you like to see me cover in 2014?

Spiced Up Turkey Burgers

Chicken Chickpea Stew

Dark Chocolate Dipped Macaroons

Roasted Portobellos and Asparagus with Goat Cheese Sauce

Funnel Cakes

Category: Roundups, Tori's Corner

1. Gilly Martin says:

I’d love to learn how to make babka!

2. I think you shoud do a cookbook, my love.

3. All the old fashioned Jewish Mama recipes !!! So I can surprise my boyfriend :)

4. How many Jewish cookbooks are on my shelves; as many as Books of Talmud?

5. Paul McCool says:

Between you and your History Kitchen cronies, I want for nothing. Except maybe a really good recipe for Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup…

• Portia Asher says:

My mother’s recipe: Make a broth with flanken or short ribs and a whole unpeeled onion..when it has cooked for about an hour add a can of sauerkraut and a can of whole tomatoes. Shred a small head of cabbage and add it to the pot. Taste for seasoning and use sugar and sour salt to enhance the sweet and sour flavor.
      Cut the meat off the bones and add it to the soup..hearty and delicious.

6. Congrats! Thank you for your hard work and dedication to your craft!

7. this is making me hungry!!

8. Barry Scott says:

How about corned beef? I make a great one using Alton Brown’s recipe. People always say it’s some of the best they have ever eaten. Knowing how good you are, how about a better one??? BTW keep up the good work. Your recipes, writing and pix are some of the best out there.

9. Love it. I must make Kale Salad this week, I covet the Boston Cream Pie and it is on my To Make list. Your list is great and the navy dress you are wearing is divine. Love your posts.

10. I really appreciate your recipes and the accompanying photos. You make it so simple. Thanks!

11. Do you have an easy never fail Challah recipe ???

12. I like the surprise. To see what you have come up with. To read it and smell the herbs in my head. Decide if everyone would like it and then make it. I also love to learn about its origins, its evolution and variations, the migration variations. Your great Tori!

13. Susie Schulman says:

Yiddish folklore recipes and origin.

14. Maybe a few simple 4 ingredients-style recipes for exhausted busy 9-5-ers?

15. Some good looking additions to the turkey burger. Going to have to try them out!

16. Judi Monsour says:

Love the stuff you do, and always like food history!

17. Mitchell says:

The creamy Broccoli & Tahini soup saved me in winter! So thick and delicious, thank you :)

18. I agree with Anna my grandmother on both sides were the best cooks which translated into great eating as a child growing up in Brooklyn. I miss it very much. I’m going to try your Lokshen Kugel soon. Wish me luck.

19. Barbara says:

Yes yes!! You should make a cookbook!!

20. Patty Grooms says:

I will have to try some of these recipes, especially the desserts. Than you to The Pioneer Woman; Ree Drummond, who directed me to your blog.

21. kate wilcox says:

mouth watering recipes!

22. Jenny says:

Hi Tori,
    I would be interested to see your vegetarian chili creations in 2014. Thanks for your blog!

23. Sandy Fox says:

Thank you, Tori, for sharing your recipes. I love the kale salad and the stuffed cabbages!! It’s helping us survive this polar vortex! I can’t wait to try the dark chocolate maroons next. Keep ‘em coming!

24. Jerry says:

Thank you for all you do. I never cook but spend the whole week looking forward to your blog. May God bless you.