How to Roast Broccoli

How to Roast Broccoli Whole and In Pieces - Easy Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial

Did you know that you can roast broccoli in the oven? I’ve roasted many vegetables over the years, but for some reason I never thought to roast broccoli… it just didn’t seem like a roast-able veggie, somehow. Well, consider me schooled. What the heck was I thinking? Roasted broccoli is the best thing since roasted cauliflower! I’m fully addicted to this stuff. Roasting brings out flavors in the broccoli that I never knew it possessed. The little florets become crispy on top, the stalk tender and sweet within. It’s magic!

Just as vegetables are better roasted, I find food is more satisfying when accompanied by a little history. Broccoli first appeared in the Mediterranean and was popular in ancient Rome. The name broccoli derives from the Italian word brocco meaning “little branches.” In Elizabethan England it was known as “Brawcle.” Broccoli was introduced to the American colonies in the early 1700′s. Thomas Jefferson had it planted in his gardens at Monticello, and it was mentioned in a Virginia gardening book published around 1765. Recipes for the vegetable appear in several American and British cookbooks from the 1700′s and 1800′s. It wasn’t widely available in America till the 1920′s, when Italian immigrants began to cultivate it in California.

Okay, I know a lot of you have probably roasted broccoli before, and you’re kind of shocked that I wasn’t already on this bandwagon. Forgive me. I’m behind the times. I roast all kinds of vegetables, but this one never really occurred to me. Consider me officially caught up.

For those of you who, like me, never tried roasting this healthy and tasty veggie, I’ve provided a simple step-by-step tutorial below. Try it and prepare to be amazed!

How to Roast Broccoli Whole and In Pieces - Easy Step-by-Step Tutorial

How to Roast Broccoli

• 1 bunch broccoli, separated
  • or
  • 1 bunch broccoli, chopped into 1-2 inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper

• Sheet tray, aluminum foil (optional), tongs, mixing bowl (if roasting pieces)
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 - 45 Minutes
Total Time: 35 - 55 Minutes
Servings: 4 side servings, 2 generous servings
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. If roasting whole broccoli pieces, first wash and rinse. Remove the last ½ inch of the stem, then peel to remove the tough, fibrous outer layer.
  • How to Roast Broccoli Whole and In Pieces - Easy Step By Step TutorialPlace broccoli onto a sheet tray (lined with foil for easier cleanup, if desired) and drizzle with the olive oil, paying special attention the florets so that they are evenly covered with a thin layer of oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  • How to Roast Broccoli Whole and In Pieces - Easy Step By Step TutorialRoast on the middle rack of the oven for about 45 minutes, or until a knife can easily be inserted into the stem. Turn the stalks over with the tongs halfway through so each side is evenly cooked. Watch it carefully towards the end, it can easily go from roasted to burned. Oven temps vary and not every oven will take exactly 45 minutes; you will learn what works for your oven.
  • How to Roast Broccoli Whole and In Pieces - Easy Step By Step TutorialIf roasting broccoli pieces, first wash and rinse. Remove the florets and cut them into smaller pieces.
  • Peel the stem to remove the tough, fibrous outer layer, then chop the stem into 1-inch pieces.
  • How to Roast Broccoli Whole and In Pieces - Easy Step By Step TutorialPlace broccoli pieces in a mixing bowl and toss with the olive oil salt and pepper, then transfer to a baking sheet (lined with foil for easier cleanup, if desired).
  • How to Roast Broccoli Whole and In Pieces - Easy Step By Step TutorialRoast for about 30 minutes, turning the florets with tongs halfway through cooking, till florets are tender and the crowns are crisp (tips should be browned, not blackened). Watch it carefully towards the end, it can easily go from roasted to burned. Oven temps vary and not every oven will take exactly 30 minutes; you will learn what works for your oven.
  • How to Roast Broccoli Whole and In Pieces - Easy Step By Step TutorialEat up. It's addictive, seriously.
  • How to Roast Broccoli Whole and In Pieces - Easy Step-by-Step Tutorial

Category: Cooking Tutorials, Finger Foods and Dips, Gluten Free, Healthy, How To, In the Kitchen, Nut Free, Pareve, Recipes, Side Dishes, Slide Show, Tomato Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

1. Marc Seleman says:

I do it all the time…with butter and onion soup mix.

2. This is my absolute favorite way to eat broccoli…but instead of olive oil, I like coconut oil. 8)

3. try cauliflower and carrots done the same way… amazing ;)

4. It really is!!! We do a lot, often with cauliflower too :) I rarely make rice with curry anymore – I roast cauli and broc with some garam masala and ghee – delicious!

5. Melissa Ring says:

My most favorite way to have it!

6. Jaycee Dowdy says:

Add cauliflower and fennel along with the broccoli….delicious!

7. I only do it this way – cauliflower too. Gets rid of that ‘broccoli’ smell.

8. Jenny Karl says:

Do it all the time! Little olive oil,little sea salt…

9. Elyse Cohen says:

looks delish have to try it

10. I make this for my hubby and son at least four days a week. Yummy add carrots too..

11. Love broccoli, I’m going to have to try this.

12. Marsha says:

Roasting is my favorite way of eating broccoli. I sometimes add a little balsamic to the mix. So yummy!

13. Leila Cook says:

It’s the best way to make broccoli. Seriously good.

14. Roast it all the time. Yummy!!!!!!!

15. I’ve discovered roasted cabbage. I love it!

16. Red Seewun says:

HERESY!

bacon is the best thing ever…

17. Seriously addicted to roasted broccoli. It’s like candy.

18. James Bohan says:

Don’t know everyone’s dietary restrictions, but this is great with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese as well

19. Cauliflower, too — even cabbage!

20. Hallie Boca says:

Interesting history about the word broccoli. My son used to call them tree stars from a dinosaur video.

21. Amazing w/ truffle oil, pink salt and fresh cracked pepper and a small amount of parm cheese!

22. Beth Minto says:

Tori I love your website. My son lives a block from Katzs deli in Manhattan; The Palace of Cholesterol but great and historical. I love your recipes without sugar. You Yanks are obsessed with sugar……think of future lives….I worked on the Jersey Shore in my Twenties. Green from Australia. I had never seen such huge fat people before. Aussie is probably full of them now…but. Love it when your recipes are healthy…thanks Mate

23. One word of advice: don’t burn it… :)

24. This is the only way my 5 year old son will eat it. It is the best!

25. I’ve done broccolini but don’t think I’ve made it like that per se. I love your plates and recently saw some vintage glasses at a local online yard sale that would go amazingly well.

26. Delicious and ligth thank You Tori <3

27. We do this all the time. Dredge the broccoli in olive oil with some balsamic vinegar and sugar for extra browning and flavor.

28. Thank you! Will be trying that one immediately!

29. We learned that from Austin’s Easy Tiger ! Can’t eat it any other way anymore! Squeeze lemon on it!

30. Kelli Maki says:

We do this all the time, beats steaming by a mile!

31. This is an aquired taste. From someone who roasts almost everything.

32. Tina Diamond says:

I did it tonight, its delicious, makes it taste sweet drizzled with olive oil

33. barely steamed with lemon .

34. mike luck says:

I have Char Broil infra red grill and grill Everything.
    Watermelon peaches asparagus peppers mushrooms etc
    Do you think Broccoli would work?

35. It completely changes it!!! Makes it sweet and wonderful! Just learned it this past summer!

36. Add a small amount of lemon juice when tossing. It adds a little zing & reduces the amount of gas typical of cruciferous vegetables

37. Abi Faith says:

We often make this. . . especially when Happy Rich broccoli is in season Suzie’s Farm! Melissa James introduced me to it!

38. Wow, looks great! I will try this. What about Brussels sprouts?

• Carmen Jordan says:

Brussels sprouts are absolutely delicious done this way. Do it exactly the same and just watch for doneness. Cut off the bottoms, cut in half if over 1 inch diameter and roast away. I like them with nice little charred bits, just like the broccoli. :)

39. Thanks for posting. We will try it and compare to steaming.

40. Just did that for dinner tonight, then sprinkled with a little lemon juice and parmesan cheese…to die for!