Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses

There may be no vegetable that is as polarizing as Brussels sprouts. Those who like them love them, while those who don’t seem to loathe the very thought of them. I never really understood the aversion to Brussels sprouts. I often wonder if the loathing stems from never having them well cooked. Steamed and boiled Brussels sprouts are pretty boring, I’ll give you that. Roasting, however, brings out a magical flavor from these little veggie treasures. Roast them with olive oil, salt and pepper, then drizzle them with a scrumptious sauce. Like magic, Brussels sprouts go from boring veggie to crave-worthy side dish.

Brussels sprouts are actually a variety of the common cabbage, with several miniature cabbage-like heads growing around a stem. They are known by a variety of names, including “nobby greens,” “bonsai cabbages,” or simply “sprouts.” Though an early ancestor of Brussels sprouts may have been culivated in ancient Rome (there is some debate on this), Brussels sprouts as we know them today first gained popularity in Belgium and are named for– you guessed it– the city of Brussels! They were grown in English and French gardens at the end of the 18th century, and we can credit American Founding Father Thomas Jefferson with planting them in his Monticello garden in 1812. Over time, their popularity spread throughout the United States.

Here I’ve roasted a batch of Brussels sprouts, then drizzled them with my homemade pomegranate molasses. I highly recommend using my molasses recipe, as it is sweeter and richer than the average bottled pomegranate molasses. It’s super easy to make, and can be made a few days ahead to save on time. Scatter these Brussels sprouts artfully on a platter and serve them at your next soiree. I ate a full plateful of them a few nights ago, just after I snapped these pics (which might explain why I didn’t take the time to properly light them… I was hungry!). It was both my lunch and dinner, and I was a happy camper. The crispy yet tender roasted Brussels sprouts were perfectly dressed by the sweet tartness of pomegranate molasses. I especially loved the crunchy toasted walnuts and those little bursts of sweetness from the pomegranate seeds. I can’t imagine a more easy or elegant side dish for your holiday table.

So what about you? What do you think of Brussels sprouts… love ‘em or hate ‘em?

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses

• 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, cleaned and cut in half
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Salt and pepper

• mixing bowl, sheet tray, aluminum foil
Total Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: 6-8 side servings
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts with the 1/4 cup of olive oil.
  • Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses - Easy Holiday RecipeSpread evenly a sheet tray covered with aluminum foil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses - Easy Holiday RecipeRoast for 15 minutes, until some of the outer leaves start to blacken around the edges. Bite through one to test for tenderness and doneness. I like them quite tender.
  • Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses - Easy Holiday RecipeIn a large mixing bowl, toss the roasted Brussels sprouts with the toasted walnuts.
  • Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses - Easy Holiday RecipePlace on a serving dish and drizzle with the pomegranate molasses, then sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Serve.
  • Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses - Easy Vegan Holiday Side Dish Recipe

Category: Gluten Free, Hanukkah, Healthy, In the Kitchen, Pareve, Passover, Passover - Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Sephardic, Passover - Sephardic, Passover - Vegan Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegan Sephardic, Passover - Vegetarian Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegetarian Sephardic, Recipes, Rosh Hashanah, Salads and Mezze, Shavuot, Side Dishes, Slide Show, Sukkot, Thanksgiving, Thanksgivukah, Tomato Free, Vegan, Vegetarian, Yom Kippur Break Fast

1. Sorry, Tori. Just can not get them down.

2. Love them steamed and plain or roasted with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.

3. Trish Hurley says:

Love ‘em! Unless they’re overcooked, or bitter – not sure what makes them bitter.

4. Love love love brussel sprouts. Found a recipe with pancetta and potatoes mixed in. I’ll let you now how it goes.

5. My absolutely favourite vegetable!

6. got to be in the mood for em

7. Sandy Puretz says:

Hated them as a child because my mother served them with a cream sauce. Love them roasted now as an adult.

8. Earline Nunn says:

Yummy! A wonderful holiday tradition for us.

9. Jenny Karl says:

LOVE THEM!! & So does my husband and daughter!

10. Anna says:

What temperature do you cook this at?

Hi Anna, so sorry, I had written the temp above the directions and for some reason my recipe input format sometimes deletes the first line– it’s a weird glitch. They should roast at 450 degrees F. Enjoy!

11. love! now that is..growing up..ugh!

12. I added fresh Brussels Sprouts to tonight’s dinner- lightly sauteed- and 3 of my four sons liked them! Success!

13. Pia Casarino says:

Thanks for the top Tori. I grilled broccoli and butternut squash, tossed in olive oil and lemon juice topped with pine nuts.

14. Kyre Adept says:

Good, you can have mine!

15. Rick Isaak says:

I love Brussel Sprouts and this recipe looks foodgasmic! Gonna share.

16. I like a lot of your recipes but draw the line at brussel sprouts – what else ya got!

17. How about something with squash and something sweet on it like honey and lots of real butter??/

18. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

19. Love them but hate growing them!Aphids

20. Hallie Mac says:

LOVE!! Just some olive oil and rock salt = DELISH

21. Cathy Malkin says:

Love! My toddler makes me buy them every time we are at the market. :-)

22. Love them roasted with red onion and drizzle balsamic vinegar in then. DELISH!

23. moshe stander says:

Most kashrus agencies advise not to eat whole brussel sprouts as there is no way to check for insects properly without destroying the vegetable.

24. Esther Green says:

Nice!!! I’m going to have to give this a try. Very festive looking too!

25. I really want to love them, but I don’t know if I ever can

26. Oh I love them! roasted golden brown , I whip olive oil evoo and fresh lemon juice dash balsamic vinegar and make a cold salad w them yum!

27. This year my marker selling them $2.50 a lb! Buying 2lbs freeze a pound! Yum their delish in homemade veggie only soup cut them in half!

28. Trina Harris says:

Another variation: I do mine with rings of leeks on top. I bake them until the leeks are brown and crunchy, and the bottoms and outside of the sprouts are brown and crunchy too (lay 1/2 sprouts flat side down and careful they don’t burn). Some sliced mushrooms between the sprouts on the bottom and the leeks on top are great too!

29. Amy K. says:

Love them – roasted! This recipe looks yum! I made your pomegranate molasses a couple of years ago; I’d seen you demo at Zabar’s in NYC and you used it on brisket. I used it on a turkey breast (hubby & some others don’t eat red meat) and it was delicious.
    Happy Thanksgivikah!

30. Rick Carr says:

I haved loved them for years but only because of one secret I found. Buy medium to large ones and peal away leaves until the dark green is gone (almost white) aand then cook them. The strong, bitter flavor is from the heavy dose of dark green, probably Chlorophyll in the outer leaves.

31. Kendall says:

Hey Tori these look delish! Is there a seed substitute instead of walnut? My niece is allergic. What about roasted pumpkin seeds?
    kendall

32. I kinda want to try this… Still trying to convince myself I like this vegetable

33. wendy says:

I’m looking at this for Thanksgiving. Do you think it could be made ahead and heated up?

The prep can all be done ahead (making pom molasses, roasting walnuts, etc.) but I recommend roasting the Brussels sprouts as close to serving time as possible for the freshest taste.

34. Andrea says:

This was really too sweet. I was not a fan of the overwhelming sweetness.

I’m sorry to hear that Andrea. You can certainly cut down on the pomegranate molasses and seeds, or eliminate them altogether, if you prefer a more savory dish– they roast up great with just olive oil, salt and pepper.

35. Leta says:

I made these for a get-together over the holidays. Delicious! I added red wine vinegar to the pom molasses and reduced it to a languid slurry before adding to the roasted sprouts. I could eat this every day! The Brussels sprouts adverse out there will be converted (to Brussels Sproutism?) by this revipe.