Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses

There may be no vegetable that is as polarizing as Brussels sprouts. Those who like them love them, while those who don’t seem to loathe the very thought of them. I never really understood the aversion to Brussels sprouts. I often wonder if the loathing stems from never having them well cooked. Steamed and boiled Brussels sprouts are pretty boring, I’ll give you that. Roasting, however, brings out a magical flavor from these little veggie treasures. Roast them with olive oil, salt and pepper, then drizzle them with a scrumptious sauce. Like magic, Brussels sprouts go from boring veggie to crave-worthy side dish.

Brussels sprouts are actually a variety of the common cabbage, with several miniature cabbage-like heads growing around a stem. They are known by a variety of names, including “nobby greens,” “bonsai cabbages,” or simply “sprouts.” Though an early ancestor of Brussels sprouts may have been culivated in ancient Rome (there is some debate on this), Brussels sprouts as we know them today first gained popularity in Belgium and are named for– you guessed it– the city of Brussels! They were grown in English and French gardens at the end of the 18th century, and we can credit American Founding Father Thomas Jefferson with planting them in his Monticello garden in 1812. Over time, their popularity spread throughout the United States.

Here I’ve roasted a batch of Brussels sprouts, then drizzled them with my homemade pomegranate molasses. I highly recommend using my molasses recipe, as it is sweeter and richer than the average bottled pomegranate molasses. It’s super easy to make, and can be made a few days ahead to save on time. Scatter these Brussels sprouts artfully on a platter and serve them at your next soiree. I ate a full plateful of them a few nights ago, just after I snapped these pics (which might explain why I didn’t take the time to properly light them… I was hungry!). It was both my lunch and dinner, and I was a happy camper. The crispy yet tender roasted Brussels sprouts were perfectly dressed by the sweet tartness of pomegranate molasses. I especially loved the crunchy toasted walnuts and those little bursts of sweetness from the pomegranate seeds. I can’t imagine a more easy or elegant side dish for your holiday table.

So what about you? What do you think of Brussels sprouts… love ‘em or hate ‘em?

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses

• 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, cleaned and cut in half
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Salt and pepper

• mixing bowl, sheet tray, aluminum foil
Total Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: 6-8 side servings
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts with the 1/4 cup of olive oil.
  • Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses - Easy Holiday RecipeSpread evenly a sheet tray covered with aluminum foil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses - Easy Holiday RecipeRoast for 15 minutes, until some of the outer leaves start to blacken around the edges. Bite through one to test for tenderness and doneness. I like them quite tender.
  • Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses - Easy Holiday RecipeIn a large mixing bowl, toss the roasted Brussels sprouts with the toasted walnuts.
  • Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses - Easy Holiday RecipePlace on a serving dish and drizzle with the pomegranate molasses, then sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Serve.
  • Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses - Easy Vegan Holiday Side Dish Recipe

Category: Gluten Free, Hanukkah, Healthy, In the Kitchen, Pareve, Passover, Passover - Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Sephardic, Passover - Sephardic, Passover - Vegan Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegan Sephardic, Passover - Vegetarian Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegetarian Sephardic, Recipes, Rosh Hashanah, Salads and Mezze, Shavuot, Side Dishes, Slide Show, Sukkot, Thanksgiving, Thanksgivukah, Tomato Free, Vegan, Vegetarian, Yom Kippur Break Fast

1. love em..roasted with garlic!

2. I always liked Brussel sprouts.

3. Yes! Roasted = Excellent texture and taste!

4. Jodi Shaw says:

sounds yummy! I used to just use parmesan cheese & breadcrumbs, but my 5 yr old hated them… now I do Rosemary & Garlic & she cleans her plate…

• Yolanda Kraft says:

I am always looking for ways of making my family eat healthy. And Brussels sprouts are not a favorite around here. Could you please send me me your recipe. Thanks,

Yolanda

5. Joan Wood says:

I love these little babies. Buy some every week and cook them in different wa ys. Have to try this one looks out of this world. xx

6. steamed with blue cheese dressing drizzled, ok, glopped on top lol

7. Love them roasted I’m black truffle oil, pepper and fleur DE sel

8. Cecily Guest says:

David Goldsmith
    How’s about can, but don’t.

9. Cecily Guest says:

Really? Why?
    (I’m laughing like this is funny, but there might be medical reasons that Bsprouts cause death).

10. Oh no it’s purely psychological, but it’s childhood stuff and it’s deep. But just to stay on point, let me say that if anyone would know how to make them delicious, it would be Tori Avey.

• Bonnie Emm says:

David–you might be a “supertaster” like I am. We detect bitterness in foods more than the average person, and that reads as poisonous. You might also have trouble with other foods where to you, they taste spoiled [I can't eat bread pudding for that reason--it comes across as moldy]. This is a throwback to our animal past. It probably goes beyond your childhood trauma.

• Rich Price says:

Just made the challah. It came out beautiful. I used a shortcut of kneading it in a bread machine. It did a beautiful job and made it a bit easier. Thanks for the recipe. Love it!

11. They taste like horrifically bad breath!

12. Good, cleaned nice batch of fresh ones this morning, thinking what to do with them!…..Thanks! and all ingredients on hand to boot! LOL

13. If you don’t like them, you are not cooking them right. I love the recipe from Foodnetwork Screaming heads of sprouts. It is so delish!

14. Cecily Guest says:

Agreed with Paula Qillen.
    Once I tasted them properly prepared I loved them. Garlic; yes!

15. That sounds amazing! Definitely going to give it a try!

16. YUM! I will definitely make this

17. Oh my gosh. We’re going to have to try this recipe with our Baby Purple Brussels Sprouts!

18. I love them gently fried in olive oil and dressed with a Creamy Balsamic Dressing. The only way I WILL NOT eat them is boiled to death. This is why most people don’t like them!

19. I had never liked BS – then I realized my mom only ever steamed them (she steams Everything). Roasted they are incredible. Now a favorite. Shocking! Can’t wait to try this version

20. love them with salt pepper garlic and olive oil so yummy

21. Bonnie Emm says:

Brussels sprouts and bread pudding are the only two things on the planet that I won’t eat. I have no idea why, but there’s no grey area and it doesn’t matter how you prepare them.

22. Somehow I don’t think hubby would try them…David Goldsmith is correct about childhood issues! However, the recipe does sound intriguing!

23. I love them but have never had that recipe and it Looks great!

24. OOoooo, I LOVE pomegranate molasses, always use that to make my barbeque sauce!!!!!!!!!

25. Bonnie Emm–that is amazing. Never heard that before. Wow!!!

26. They are tasty if made right…

27. Wow, now that sounds pretty good to me.

28. Mary Breen says:

that sounds wonderful, you will find that most people that like cabbage, will also like Brussel Sprouts.

29. Mary Breen says:

will you do a receipt for stuffed cabbage (glumpke) with a tomato based sweet sour gravy. i had it years ago, fixed it it was a big hit with the family. lost the receipt in a house fire.

30. Annette Lane says:

I’m making this for Thanksgiving…thanks!!

31. Even better with Kosher bacon.

32. John Mays says:

That sounds awesome

33. I’ve always liked brussel sprouts and we grew them in our garden growing up. I always fix them the same way so a new recipe sounds interesting. Thanks Tori!