Coconut Macaroon Pumpkin Pie

Coconut Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Gluten Free Dairy Free Holiday Dessert Recipe

So by now you all know that the Thanksgiving and Hanukkah holidays coincide this year, which happens to be a once-in-a-lifetime coincidence. This whole idea got my imagination going. While contemplating several potential flavor combinations for “Thanksgivukah,” none made me more excited than the idea of marrying two of my favorite desserts – coconut macaroons and pumpkin pie. The idea of taking a Jewish holiday classic like macaroons and making it into a pie crust, then filling it with pumpkin custard, made my mouth water. The macaroon crust was easy enough to make gluten free, I simply used my coconut macaroon recipe as a base. Then I figured hey, as long as I’m using coconut, why not use coconut milk in the custard and make this pie dairy free as well? That way, people with a variety of food sensitivities can enjoy it. It seemed like a simple enough concept, but it actually took several tests to get this one right. Together with my assistant Ashley, we made several versions of the pie. Each one was good, but I didn’t want good… I wanted perfect! At first the crust was soggy, then the edges baked too fast, then the custard was too soft, then the sweetness level wasn’t where I wanted it to be. Finally we nailed it. I can now say with pride that this is THE BEST pumpkin pie I’ve ever tasted. For reals!

I love a lot of things about this pie, but what I love most is how many people will be able to enjoy it. Those with dairy sensitivities can have a luscious lactose-free pie experience. People with gluten issues will have no trouble here. My kosher friends can eat this after a holiday turkey without mixing milk and meat. Then there are the people who will make it just because it sounds so freaking delicious. Trust me, it is. You won’t miss old fashioned pie crust, promise!

I added a dollop of freshly whipped cream to the top of my pie slice. I’m not dairy-sensitive and I like whipped cream on my pie, plus it made for a prettier picture. I tried my hand at several coconut whipped cream recipes, but I wasn’t happy with any of them… I’m still working on perfecting that one for you guys. There are some dairy-free alternatives out there including brands made from rice, soy and Rich Whip for kosher folks. Or just eat the pie without any topping. I promise you won’t be missing anything. This pie is beyond delish. I’m so excited for you to try it! Thanksgivukah for the win!!

Note: This recipe can also be made for Passover, though strictly kosher folks may have a hard time finding coconut milk with a KFP certification. As an alternative you can make your own coconut milk.

Recommended Products

Pie Dish

Crust Protector

Any purchase you make from The Shiksa Market helps to support my website, my recipes, and the free content I provide. If you have an Amazon login, it’s even easier to make a purchase. Thanks for browsing!

Coconut Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Gluten Free Dairy Free Holiday Dessert Recipe

Coconut Macaroon Pumpkin Pie

Macaroon Crust Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp potato starch or corn starch
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 4 egg whites, plus one additional egg white, separated (reserve 4 yolks for filling)
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Pareve Pumpkin Filling

• 2 cups pumpkin puree (plain, not spiced pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 cup full fat coconut milk
  • 2 eggs, plus 4 reserved yolks from crust
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • pinch cloves

• Mixing bowls, whisk, non-stick cooking spray, 9 inch pie dish, aluminum foil, pastry brush, blender, saucepan
Cook Time: 2 Hours
Servings: One 9-inch deep dish pie

To Make Coconut Macaroon Crust:

• Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixing bowl, stir together coconut, potato starch, sugar and salt until thoroughly combined.
  • Coconut Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Gluten Free Dairy Free Holiday Dessert RecipeIn a separate bowl, whisk together egg whites and vanilla until frothy.
  • Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Holiday Dessert RecipePour egg mixture into coconut mixture and allow to sit for 20-30 minutes.
  • Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Holiday Dessert RecipeGenerously grease a 9 inch pie dish with non-stick cooking spray and evenly press in the macaroon crust mixture.
  • Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Holiday Dessert RecipeCover edge of the crust with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
  • Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Holiday Dessert RecipeMeanwhile, whisk remaining egg white with ½ tbsp of water.
  • When crust has finished baking, remove from oven. Brush crust with egg white to create a seal. After brushing on the egg white, put the protective foil back around the edge of the crust.
  • Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Holiday Dessert RecipeBake for an additional 10 – 15 minutes till the crust is golden brown.
  • Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Holiday Dessert Recipe

To Make Filling

• Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees.
  • Place all of your filling ingredients into a blender and blend until creamy and smooth, about 60 seconds. I’ve found this is the best way to create a smooth, evenly mixed filling. Alternatively, you can pour the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and blend with an immersion blender or a whisk, just make sure all ingredients are very well incorporated.
  • Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Holiday Dessert RecipePour the mixture into a saucepan and heat over medium for 9-10 minutes, until just starting to thicken and bubble around the edges.
  • Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Holiday Dessert RecipeRemove foil from the edges of your macaroon pie crust. Pour the mixture into your prepared macaroon crust and smooth the top with a spatula. This recipes is written for a deep 9 inch pie dish, but you can use it to fill two smaller shallow pie dishes if you prefer. Fill to the top of the crust.
  • Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Holiday Dessert RecipeTent the pie with foil, making sure to leave plenty of space between the surface of the pie and the foil, otherwise you will ruin the top of your pie filling.
  • Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Holiday Dessert RecipeCarefully place the pie onto the center rack of your oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove foil tent and reduce heat to 350 degrees. Bake for an additional 35 minutes, or until the filling sets and only jiggles slightly. If the edge of the crust is getting too brown for your liking, you can carefully cover the edge of the crust with foil-- just be sure not to touch or mess up the top of the custard.
  • Turn off the oven and crack the oven door. (I use a wooden spoon to prevent the oven door from closing all the way). Allow the pie to cool slowly in the oven for 1 hour – this will help prevent the top from cracking.
  • Remove pie from the oven and allow to cool completely to room temperature (about 3 hours) or chill in the refrigerator before cutting and serving. Keep leftovers refrigerated.
  • Coconut Macaroon Pumpkin Pie - Gluten Free Dairy Free Holiday Dessert Recipe

Category: Baked Goods and Brunch Fare, Desserts, Gluten Free, Hanukkah, In the Kitchen, Pareve, Passover, Passover - Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Sephardic, Passover - Sephardic, Passover - Vegetarian Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegetarian Sephardic, Recipes, Slide Show, Sukkot, Thanksgiving, Thanksgivukah, Tomato Free, Vegetarian

1. looks delish Love the plate !

2. That’s it! I’m converting!

3. Yum but I am going to make your pumpkin koogle and a gingersnsp crust pumpkin icecream pie.

4. John Kellner says:

That sounds so much better than a reg crust.

5. yum!! I’m not supposed to eat pumpkin so I wonder if this would be equally delicious as it sounds with pureed butternut squash?

• Sarah says:

Yes, Lynn, it would be a great substitute…but I’m wondering why you can’t have pumpkin but can have butternut squash. They are essentially the same thing.

6. Hmm…may have to try this one.

7. Lick my lips that sounds so yummy licious

8. It would be good with sweet potato too! So glad you play kitchen so much!

9. Amy Doar says:

How could you not like this?!! YUM!

10. Phil Trupp says:

Another waist bump, but oh so delicious.

11. I wish I liked pumpkin. There are so many delicious looking recipes, but I have always disliked pumpkin no matter what it is in! :(

12. 33″ ~ no pies for me~~until Thanksgiving“

13. molly yeh says:

this is such a good idea! i love macaroons so sooo much. and i love the combination of coconut and pumpkin. i’m so friggen excited for thanksgivukkah, my kitchen is going to explode.

14. Fun recipe as always, Tori! I love all the creative Thanksgivukkah recipes I’m seeing!

15. Torey, Thank you Sprouts Farmers Market has Pumpkin puree for one dollar per can. Nice and the Coconut Crema on sale this week as well. !!!

16. Thanks Tori. You hit a home run with this recipe. Can’t wait to try it.

17. This sounds good and I am not a big fan of pumpkin pie! But I love coconut and will try this. Thanks Tori!

18. This sounds so delicious …….I might just break my diet!!! Too many excuses to do so lately, but this one might just be worth it!!!!

19. Susan Blake says:

Did you say gluten free AND dairy free!!!

20. Rebecca says:

Tori, Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe as the coconut crust is very, very aroma as we have this made into biscuits. Using coconut crust instead of flour that sound good !! Never think of that !! I love your recipes as you gave us the real recipe and 100% worked out !!
    ( Some chefs keep the baking powder or baking soda to herself / himself, so when baked or steamed it was hard as rock that made me so angry — wasted my time, ingredients )

21. Ian Lee says:

I want me some ‘a ‘dat!!!

22. Thanks for the recipe! I just started eating paleo and I might try to make this paleo friendly by substituting the white sugar in the crust with honey and the brown sugar in the filling with maple syrup…hope it comes out!! Maybe I’ll do a few trial runs before thanksgiving/Hanukkah ;)

23. Amy Gordon says:

Last Thanksgiving I did your sweet potatoes and they were delish… This year I’m gonna try this yummy dessert :)

24. Sandra Abel says:

This sounds wonderful. Printed it out. Can’t wait to try it. I get tired of the same desserts year in and year out. It’s nice to try something a little different. Thank you.

25. I am going to make this, Sounds delicious!

• Soraya Liebson says:

Hi Soraya! Just saying hello cuz I’ve never seen anybody with my name. I will also make this pie but I will use two small 9″ pie dishes. One for thanksgiving eve with friends with dietary restrictions and one for thanksgiving day with the in-laws.
      Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Hi Soraya, hopefully there will be enough filling for 2 9″ pie dishes… it should make enough for two shallow 8-inch pie plates, but you may need to make a little more for two 9-inch plates. Just wanted you to be aware, since I haven’t tested it myself with two shallow 9-inch plates.

26. Jael says:

Wow,that looks awsome :)

27. Melissa says:

I love this idea but is this not something that could be baked in a water bath? I just worry about burning the custard…..

Hi Melissa, you certainly could bake it in a water bath, though I’m not sure it’s necessary. I tested this recipe multiple times and never had an issue with burning the custard.

28. Ayal says:

Wow that looks ridiculously good. Love the concept of combining two classics into something new and delicious!

29. Barbara says:

Love your recipes! I follow Wheat Belly and do not use potato starch. Will konjac flour do? Xanthan gum? Any suggestions?

Hi Barbara, cornstarch is the only sub I feel comfortable recommending. Other subs may work, but I haven’t tested them so I couldn’t give you the proper amounts needed.

30. Paula says:

Could corn starch be substituted for the potato starch?

31. Tasha says:

Tori – I have looked high and low for potato starch. Are there any substitutes, such as corn starch? I can find potato flour, but not starch.

32. Sharon says:

This looks great. Could it be made a day ahead and stay in the fridge? Have you used this crust with other recipes?

Hi Sharon, I have only tested this crust with this recipe, but I’m sure it would work for any similar custard-like pie. It would also work for chilled custard pies once it’s fully baked. I don’t foresee any issues with making it a day ahead, but I would suggest bringing it down to room temperature before baking the custard in it. Enjoy!

33. Kristin says:

This pie is delicious. Just made a ‘test’ pie for the family to try before Thanksgiving and half the pie was gone within a half hour. Thank you for this great recipe.

34. Marry says:

Hi Tori, The link to your Pumpkin Pie with Gingersnap Crust is linking to Coconut Macaroon Pumpkin Pie. Oh no! Hope you can fix it, thanks, Marry

Hi Marry, I replaced the gingersnap crust recipe with this one because I feel this is a much better and more reliable recipe. The gingersnap crust was one of the first recipes I put on the site, and I wasn’t totally happy with it. The filling in this pie is basically the same, just the crust is different. If you still want the other recipe let me know and I can email it to you. :)

35. Marry says:

Thank you for your speedy reply. Yes, please e mail me the gingersnap recipe-I like the sound of the ginger/pumpkin combo. Does this pumpkin pie filling taste a lot like coconut? Thanks again. (I’m cooking my 1rst Thanksgiving dinner ala Shiksa recipes).

Hi Marry, the pumpkin filling is not overly coconut-ish, it’s really yummy. Here is the gingersnap crust recipe, but I really do prefer this new coconut crust– the gingersnap crust was somewhat crumbly. Still good, but this new coconut one is better. :)

10 oz. dairy-free gingersnaps (use GF gingersnaps for a gluten free crust)
      2 tbsp brown sugar
      1/4 tsp salt
      5 tbsp melted non-hydrogenated margarine

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Pulse gingersnaps together in the food processor until they crumble. Add brown sugar, salt, and melted margarine. Process for 30 seconds, scrape the sides. Process again for 15-30 seconds longer until the crumbs are evenly moistened and clumping together. Pour mixture into a deep 9 inch pie plate or dish, then pat the mixture firmly and evenly onto the bottom and sides. Bake pie shell for 10 minutes till partially baked. Remove from oven and re-seal any cracks that have formed by pressing the crust together gently with your fingertips. Cool to room temperature before filling.

36. Bridget says:

Made this for my daughter who has Celiac. She loves it. I was wondering if I can freeze the leftovers.

Hi Bridget, that’s an excellent question. I’m not sure if the pumpkin custard will freeze well because I’ve never tried it before. If you test it out can you please let us know the results? I’m so happy your daughter enjoyed it!