Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash

Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall Recipe

One of my favorite things about autumn is the abundance of seasonal squash in the market. Butternut squash is a particular favorite in our family. It’s naturally sweet, low in calories, and full of vitamins A and C. I’m always looking for new ways to prepare it. In this very simple recipe (which I included in my own Rosh Hashanah menu this year), I tossed butternut squash cubes with olive oil, maple syrup and seasonings to create a sweet, salty medley of flavors. The cinnamon and cayenne give it a little spicy kick– just enough to make it interesting. It may seem like a lot of squash, but when roasting the pieces tend to shrink up a bit. It’s so delicious, you’ll be glad you made the extra. If you’re only making dinner for two, you can easily halve the recipe if you wish, but I could honestly eat half the recipe by myself in one sitting. It’s that tasty.

You don’t need to pay a premium for pre-peeled and seeded butternut squash, though it certainly is convenient. It’s not that hard to prepare a butternut squash yourself. Check out my All About Butternut Squash tutorial for details and more recipe ideas. The post also talks a bit about the history of squash, because my inner food nerd loves to share these kinds of things.

This recipe is vegan, pareve, gluten free and really healthy. I’m thinking it might be a great addition to a Thanksgivukah holiday spread, too. Enjoy!

Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash

• 8 cups cubed butternut squash (peeled and seeded), about 3 lbs of peeled cubes
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 pinches cayenne

• 2 baking sheets, foil (optional)
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
Total Time: 40 Minutes
Servings: 6
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If you are breaking down a whole butternut squash for this recipe rather than buying the prepared, peeled cubes, you will need a large squash (or two smaller squashes) totaling about 3 lbs. 3 oz. in weight to produce the correct amount of peeled cubes. For details on how to prepare squash for roasting, see this post: All About Butternut Squash
  • Line 2 baking sheets with foil (optional-- protects baking sheet when the sugars caramelize so it won't be sticky/hard to clean). Spread out the cubes on the baking sheets.
  • Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall RecipeDrizzle the squash on each baking sheet of squash with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp maple syrup (2 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp maple syrup total).
  • Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall RecipeSprinkle each baking sheet evenly with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne (1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 2 pinches cayenne total).
  • Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall RecipeToss the squash on the sheets with clean hands to coat evenly.
  • Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall RecipeRoast the sheets of squash for about 30 minutes, switching the baking sheets on their racks halfway through cooking, till the largest piece of squash is tender all the way through. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and turn on the broiler.
  • Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall RecipeTake turns placing each baking sheet under the broiler for 1-2 minutes longer to caramelize (the squash should be golden brown-- careful, it will brown very fast-- don't let it burn!). Serve warm.
  • Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall Recipe

Category: Gluten Free, Hanukkah, Healthy, In the Kitchen, Nut Free, Pareve, Passover, Passover - Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Sephardic, Passover - Sephardic, Passover - Vegan Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegan Sephardic, Passover - Vegetarian Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegetarian Sephardic, Purim, Recipes, Rosh Hashanah, Shavuot, Side Dishes, Slide Show, Sukkot, Thanksgiving, Thanksgivukah, Tomato Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

1. My family loves butternut squash. In fact we literally have it at least 2x a week. I’ll put it in soups, chili, mash it, stuff it but mostly roast it. However, I’ve yet to add maple syrup to it. I’ll be sure to try that this week – it couldn’t hurt, in fact I’ll bet it will taste even better than just plain roasting it in olive oil. Thanks for sharing!

2. paul says:

I tried this recipe using honey for the syrup and grapeseed oil instead of Olive oil. It was fantastic!

3. maureen says:

Made this today. Trader Joe’s sells 12 oz. bags of ready to use butternut squash. Makes things so much easier!

4. Marta says:

I may have eaten an entire squash by myself in a day…

5. Rickey-Woo says:

It is GOOD! I make this all the time.

6. JamesG says:

I’m curious about how well this travels, or keeps overnight. I’m sure it’s best when served immediately after cooking but how about when dinner is “over the river and through the woods?” Will it still be great when cooked, cooled, transported, and reheated? Thanks in advance.

Hi James– I wouldn’t cook it more than 1 day ahead, and the chunks might become a bit mushy when you reheat them. They will still taste yummy though! For a squash recipe that might travel a bit better, try this: link to theshiksa.com It will be easier to reheat and stir back to its original consistency after storing in the fridge overnight. Good luck!

7. Joan W says:

This recipe was WONDERFUL! Really, really good! I couldn’t stop eating it!

8. Kathleen S says:

I always thought I didn’t like squash – then I made this recipe. All I can say is Wow! I love it. Wish it traveled better as I’d love to bring it to the holiday potlucks I’m attending. If I made it up the day of, could I keep it warm in a crockpot on warm? I don’t like taking unhealthy, high sugar or fat dishes, but don’t like going the chopped raw veggies and dip route either.

Hi Kathleen– the trouble with bringing this to a potluck is it can easily go from “cooked” to “mushy.” It will also lose some of its roasted charm when reheated. You can roast it and bring it on the baking sheet covered with foil, then stick it in the oven to reheat it at your destination. I’m just not sure I’d recommend a crock pot due to the mushy factor.

9. Tabitha says:

This looks super yummy! I’m making it tonight to go with my roasted chicken. I’m going to add sweet potatoes, carrots and onions as well so there’s extra for lunch. Thank you for a delicious-looking and gluten free recipe. :)

10. jenna says:

I did this with all of my leftover (white)sweet potatoes, butternut squash and (green)apples. DELICIOUS!!

11. LWilson says:

In the oven right now! Can’t wait to try it!!!!!

12. Kathleen S says:

I did as you suggested and cooked ahead of time, then put it under the broiler just before serving. I also discovered it does make a delicious leftover and did not turn to mush, when re-heated in the microwave.

Great to hear that Kathleen! I was a bit worried about that. Honestly we never have any leftover… they always get eaten by the family in one sitting! :)

13. Emily says:

I just made this for my son, and he LOVES it. He is one and used to eat most anything we put in front of him, but has been picky about fruits and veggies lately. This is like dessert! It made my house smell soo good! Thanks for sharing.

14. Susan Shulman says:

I added cubed sweet potatoes to the butternut squash and omitted the cayenne and instead of drizzling on the oil and maple syrup I stirred everything together in a large bowl and then spread it out on the baking sheet. I served this last night as part of our Seder dinner and it was delicious; much to my dismay, there were no leftovers! Lining the baking sheet with foil was a good idea.