Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash

Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall Recipe

One of my favorite things about autumn is the abundance of seasonal squash in the market. Butternut squash is a particular favorite in our family. It’s naturally sweet, low in calories, and full of vitamins A and C. I’m always looking for new ways to prepare it. In this very simple recipe (which I included in my own Rosh Hashanah menu this year), I tossed butternut squash cubes with olive oil, maple syrup and seasonings to create a sweet, salty medley of flavors. The cinnamon and cayenne give it a little spicy kick– just enough to make it interesting. It may seem like a lot of squash, but when roasting the pieces tend to shrink up a bit. It’s so delicious, you’ll be glad you made the extra. If you’re only making dinner for two, you can easily halve the recipe if you wish, but I could honestly eat half the recipe by myself in one sitting. It’s that tasty.

You don’t need to pay a premium for pre-peeled and seeded butternut squash, though it certainly is convenient. It’s not that hard to prepare a butternut squash yourself. Check out my All About Butternut Squash tutorial for details and more recipe ideas. The post also talks a bit about the history of squash, because my inner food nerd loves to share these kinds of things.

This recipe is vegan, pareve, gluten free and really healthy. I’m thinking it might be a great addition to a Thanksgivukah holiday spread, too. Enjoy!

Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash

• 8 cups cubed butternut squash (peeled and seeded), about 3 lbs of peeled cubes
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 pinches cayenne

• 2 baking sheets, foil (optional)
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
Total Time: 40 Minutes
Servings: 6
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If you are breaking down a whole butternut squash for this recipe rather than buying the prepared, peeled cubes, you will need a large squash (or two smaller squashes) totaling about 3 lbs. 3 oz. in weight to produce the correct amount of peeled cubes. For details on how to prepare squash for roasting, see this post: All About Butternut Squash
  • Line 2 baking sheets with foil (optional-- protects baking sheet when the sugars caramelize so it won't be sticky/hard to clean). Spread out the cubes on the baking sheets.
  • Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall RecipeDrizzle the squash on each baking sheet of squash with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp maple syrup (2 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp maple syrup total).
  • Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall RecipeSprinkle each baking sheet evenly with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne (1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 2 pinches cayenne total).
  • Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall RecipeToss the squash on the sheets with clean hands to coat evenly.
  • Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall RecipeRoast the sheets of squash for about 30 minutes, switching the baking sheets on their racks halfway through cooking, till the largest piece of squash is tender all the way through. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and turn on the broiler.
  • Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall RecipeTake turns placing each baking sheet under the broiler for 1-2 minutes longer to caramelize (the squash should be golden brown-- careful, it will brown very fast-- don't let it burn!). Serve warm.
  • Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash - Easy Vegan Fall Recipe

Category: Gluten Free, Hanukkah, Healthy, In the Kitchen, Nut Free, Pareve, Passover, Passover - Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Sephardic, Passover - Sephardic, Passover - Vegan Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegan Sephardic, Passover - Vegetarian Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegetarian Sephardic, Purim, Recipes, Rosh Hashanah, Shavuot, Side Dishes, Slide Show, Sukkot, Thanksgiving, Thanksgivukah, Tomato Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

1. Oooh…this would be so yummy! ;)

2. This looks amazing!!

3. sounds really good, I think I will make this for shabbat this week.

4. perfect timing, just bought some and was deciding what to make with it- thanks!

5. Dawn Donovan says:

How do you keep coming out with incredible recipes lol The healthy part is good too as I am diabetic.

6. Becky Walker says:

I see a holiday switch-up from sweet potatoes!

7. John Stevens says:

Wow! Now I am super hungry! :)

8. I sprinkled on top with cinamon, curry & sugar and some dried apricot were adedd.

• Sue says:

Wow, that’s an interesting twist. I am definitely going to try the version with apricots! Thats very creative! Thanks

9. Mrs Karla Grant says:

Looks yummy – will have to try this one – I keep trying to find ways to get my family to eat squash. My children loved it as babies, it was one of their first foods, but now they are not so keen! Thanks for the great recipes!

10. Yona Vincent says:

Alaina this is really good try it you will love it

11. That looks wonderful, I love butternut squash.

12. Thank you for another idea for butternut squash. I was blessed this year with four large ones and three acorn squash. Yummo!!

13. Marianne says:

Hi Tori, thanks for the recipe. I’m going to try it with Chinese 5 spice powder in place of the cinnamon. I think it would also be a great base for a soup if there are any leftovers – since it will be just me eating it there will be leftovers. I love reading about the history of food.

14. This sounds amazing! Thank you!

15. You, I love. The dish looks delish!

16. Mike Sides says:

Sounds delicious, but why is it a vegan recipe if it Hasmonean meat anyway? It is also a carnivore recipe, let´s not be racist. LOL besides meats are vegetables….. Because we are taught in school that we are what we eat, pigs, cows, chickens are all vegetables because that is what they eat, so says science! Lol

17. I made a very similar dish to this with sweet potatoes before and it was delish, you know I´ll be trying this one soon!

18. That looks so good – can´t wait to try it

19. I been making this for Thanksgiving for the past 3-4 years – everyone LOVES it!! Make lots because it will fly off the table!!!

20. Ann Domjan says:

So I just had this and it was sooooooo yummy. I added a sweet potato (if you don´t mind). I tossed it all in a bowl and then put it on the cookie sheet–seemed easier. I served it up with yellow lentils curry. I had to force myself to stop eating it. This is a keeper! Thanks!!!

21. Great side dish. Speaking of butternut squash.. has anyone ever eaten pasta with butternut squash, fennel seeds and parmigiano? It´s one of my favorite pastas ever. Sometimes I feel like butternut squash and cinnamon is over done…

• Wendy B says:

I used to make a butternut squash risotto – that was a nice twist. internet search gets plenty of hits.

22. Thank you, Shiksa Supreme! Question: will the same prep work for pumpkin seeds? All orange off, boil for 10 minutes, then salt and roast?

23. that looks delicious!

24. Terry Diemer says:

how to do w/out sugar

Hi Terry, you can actually leave out the maple syrup if you are trying to cut sugar. The recipe doesn’t use much syrup so the sugar is pretty low, but feel free to cut it completely if you prefer. The butternut squash is sweet on its own, the syrup just enhances that a bit. Enjoy!

25. Rita Davis says:

I have put butternut squash in chili also and it is delicious believe it or not! LOL

26. Rose Baker says:

This looks really good. Why not place the squash in a bowl and add the syrup to coat evenly then place on the sheets?

27. Normally I am not a fan of sweet butternut squash but this recipe looks delish! I may have to give it a try!

28. Rupert says:

Looks delicious. I would try it with fresh Saigon cinnamon which goes very well with the hot cayenne but also acts as a great sugar substitute.

29. I have one of those in my kitchen.

30. Richard Plotzker. I have made soup out of butternut squash with some onions apples and chicken stock. Eg 1 cup squash in pieces 1/3 cup apples. If u want the recipe let me know and I´ll look it up

31. Wendy says:

love the idea of mixing up the flavors with sweet and hot, but not a fan of hot. Any ideas for substitute on the cayenne?

32. Shaily Gardner says:

It’s In The Oven!!

33. Tammy says:

With sweet potato fries, I’ve put them in a baggie with the oil and seasoning. Just massage the squash in the mix and the great thing is they can be prepped early (even by a few days) and put in the ‘fridge to marinade. I’m going to make my butternut squash this way. Sub for cayenne could be paprika or turmeric. Turmeric cleans your blood.