Home Canning – Boiling Water Method

Home Canning - Boiling Water Method, Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial

If you’re interested in creating homemade pickles, jams and preserves, then you might be curious to learn how to can these recipes at home for extended shelf life. It’s actually a lot simpler than you might think, and can be accomplished without purchasing lots of expensive specialty canning tools. The boiling water processing method is great for two main reasons– it ensures that potential contaminants are killed, and that there is enough heat to create an airtight seal, preserving the food long term.

Canned foods are practical, economical, and make great homemade gifts. You only need a few basic tools to can at home, which you may already have on hand. If not, I recommend this relatively inexpensive canning kit, which has all of the tools you’ll need to can your own high-acid foods at home. Of course, you’ll also need some canning jars, which come in several different sizes. When canning, I tend to use quart (large) and pint (standard– I use this size the most). If you’re reusing jars, you’ll need some fresh canning lids, available in regular and wide mouth- the lids can only be used one time safely.

Here’s a little history on canning. In its most basic terms, canning is a way of preserving food by sealing off exposure to contaminants. Human methods for stopping food spoilage have changed quite a bit since medieval times when raised pies with thick, sturdy crusts were used to preserve the foods baked within. In 1861, French scientist Louis Pasteur shared his knowledge of microorganisms and their effect on food, and canning became the method of choice for extending the shelf life of food products. Home canning was also a way of ensuring that there would be food on the table during the winter months and times of scarcity. Before supermarkets were stocked with fresh produce year-round, folks looked forward to seasonal crops like spring strawberries and autumn apples. When these foods were canned at the height of their season, they could be enjoyed at any time without a loss of flavor.

At the turn of the 19th century, Nicolas Appert developed a system of bottling and canning that was approved by the French government and eventually used in America. Fruits, vegetables, soup and even meats were placed in wide-mouth jars and closed with a cork stopper, then sealed with a strange mixture of lime and cheese. The jars were then heated in a water bath. While it’s a bit different than how we do things today, I think it’s pretty remarkable that the technique has not changed all that much in the past 200 years.

Home Canning - Boiling Water Method, Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial

In this post, I will walk you step-by-step through the current, USDA-approved food safe boiling water canning process. The number one fear in home canning is botulism, an organism that can grow in improperly canned foods. Botulism is very dangerous and can cause a deadly case of food poisoning. While scary, it’s important to note that botulism has trouble growing in a highly acidic environment. If you stick with high acid foods, like most jams, jellies and pickles, there is very little health risk as long as you follow the proper sterile canning procedure outlined below. It is easy to tell when canned foods have spoiled. You will know immediately based on smell and sight. If it seems questionable, then don’t eat it – simple as that.

This boiling water process is suitable for high-acid foods like fruits, fermented foods containing lactic acid and vinegar pickles. Lower acid foods like vegetables and meat should be processed using a pressure canner, unless their recipe includes vinegar, lemon juice or citric acid (such as the cauliflower pickle pictured in this blog). Tomatoes are tricky– their acid is on the low side, and while they can safely be canned with boiling water, you should add lemon juice or vinegar to the recipe to increase acidity. When making a simple tomato sauce or canning cooked tomatoes without any additional acid, I err on the safe side and use a pressure canner. I will be going over pressure canning tomorrow in a separate tutorial, which will teach you to safely can lower acid foods like tomatoes, meat and vegetables. If you want a definitive list of which foods are considered high acid and low acid, I recommend getting a copy of the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.

Now that I’ve got a canning tutorial on the blog, I’m inspired to share all kinds of unique seasonal homemade preserves and pickles with you! What kind of homemade preserves would you like to see on the blog?

Recommended Products

Canning Pot with Utensils

Canning Jars – Half Gallon, Quart, Pint

Ball Canning Lids – Regular and Wide Mouth

Canning Books (linked in “Research Sources” below)

Any purchase you make from The Shiksa Market helps to support my website, my recipes, and the free content I provide. If you have an Amazon login, it’s even easier to make a purchase. Thanks for browsing!

Home Canning - Boiling Water Method, Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial

Boiling Water Canning Method

You will need

• 3-piece canning jars (includes jar, flat lid and ring)
  • Canning pot - any large pot will work, as long as it's deep enough to fully submerge the jars with an extra couple of inches at the top
  • Round rack that will fit into the bottom of your canning pot (this will lift the jars away from the direct heat of the burner and allow water to circulate more easily, decreasing the chance of breakage)
  • Jar lifter
  • Small saucepan
  • Magnetic lid lift (optional)
  • Tongs
  • Wide mouth funnel
  • A few clean kitchen towels
  • Heat-safe measuring cup

Processing Instructions

• Before you start, make sure your hands and all of the tools you'll be using are very clean.
  • Remove the lids and rings from your jars. If you are re-using jars that you’ve had around the house, be sure that you aren’t using any with cracks or chips. Keep in mind that canning lids can only be used once, so don't reuse old ones-- buy fresh lids before you begin.
  • Place a round rack into the bottom of your canning pot, then place your canning jars on top of the rack.
  • Home Canning - Boiling Water Method, Step-by-Step Photo TutorialFill the pot, and jars, with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil.
  • Place the lids into a small saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a low simmer. This will soften the sealing strip around the edge of the lid.
  • While your jars and lids are sterilizing, prepare the product that you will be canning. When your recipe is complete, carefully remove the jars from the water using a jar lifter (take care not to burn yourself with the hot water!). Pour the water from the jars back into the canning pot. Set the jars on a clean towel. Keep the canning pot water at a simmer; you'll need to boil the jars again once they've been filled.
  • Home Canning - Boiling Water Method, Step-by-Step Photo TutorialUsing a wide mouth funnel, carefully fill the jars with your product. Depending on what you will be canning, you will need to leave 1/2 – 1/4 inch of space at the top of the jar. Most recipes will specify what is necessary, but as a general guideline, most jams or jellies will need 1/4 inch, while pickles and thicker products will need 1/2 inch.
  • Home Canning - Boiling Water Method, Step-by-Step Photo TutorialClean the rims of the jars with a damp paper towel or clean kitchen towel. If you’re dealing with a sticky product, you can use a bit of distilled white vinegar.
  • With tongs or a magnetic lid lifter, remove the lids from the simmering water and place on a clean towel.
  • Home Canning - Boiling Water Method, Step-by-Step Photo TutorialPlace the lids with warm seals directly onto the jars and seal with the round bands using just your fingertips so that they are secure, but not too tight.
  • Home Canning - Boiling Water Method, Step-by-Step Photo TutorialCarefully lower the jars back into your canning pot of boiling water using the jar lifter. Remove any water as needed with a heat-safe measuring cup to prevent overflow.
  • Home Canning - Boiling Water Method, Step-by-Step Photo TutorialStart your timer once the water has returned to a boil. Cook time will vary depending on your recipe.
  • As soon as the timer goes off, quickly and carefully remove the jars using the jar lifter. Place them on the clean towels to cool. You should hear a “ping” sound shortly after you remove the jars from the water. This is a good sign. It means that the seal has formed. You will also notice that the lid becomes concave once the seal has taken hold.
  • Allow your jars to cool for 24 hours. Remove the round outer bands from your lids and test your seals by lifting the jar by the flat lid a few inches from the counter top. The jar should lift without any separation. Jars with good seals can be kept in a cool dark place for up to a year.
  • Home Canning - Boiling Water Method, Step-by-Step Photo TutorialA broken seal doesn’t mean that your product has gone bad, it just has a shorter shelf life. Those jars should be placed directly into the refrigerator and used within two weeks or until the product has spoilage, whichever occurs first.
  • Home Canning - Boiling Water Method, Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial

Research Sources:

Davidson, Alan (1999). Oxford Companion to Food. Oxford University Press, USA.

Kingry, Judi and Devine, Lauren. Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. Robert Rose, Inc. Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

McClellan, Marisa, (2012). Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-round. Running Press, Philadelphia, PA.

USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning. National Center for Home Food Preservation, n.d. Web. 03 Sept. 2013.

Category: Cooking Tutorials, How To, In the Kitchen, Recipes, Slide Show

1. Last Time says:

i dont have any of the tools or the jars. :( I want to though, i want to go to the farm´s and pay for a few bushels of stuff to can and dehydrate. :)

2. Gilly Martin says:

Apples!! Apple pie, apple butter, apple sauce. We´ve got some beautiful apples at the farmer´s market now

3. Amy Doar says:

Would love to see brandied peaches! The best topping for ice cream I have ever had.

4. Pickled beets and strawberry jam.

5. Have you ever had much in the way of salsa? I´d bet you could come up with some unique twists on Mexican salsas. As I´m in Texas…we eat LOTS of salsa here, and grow the most of the ingredients if not all of them from the family garden.

6. Looks impressive rainbow of colors!

7. Thank you so much for sharing, Tori! Bookmarked!!

8. This is awesome! I hope I can talk my boyfriend into letting me get this, my kids and I love apple sauce, and I love apples in general. I can´t wait to see your instructions on canning pasta sauce. It would save me from having to buy Prego to hold on to incase I need a quick meal.

• Lois Lindeman says:

Heather: Applesauce is easy….I usually use 3 or 4 different kinds of apples together such as granny, smokehouse, jonnagold, Fuji….this way I hardly use any sugar….just don’t use an “eating” apple, use a baking or saucing apple. A food mill helps a lot to separate the skin and seeds and I usually put it up in small 1/2pint jars so I eat what I open in one sitting as there is no preservative and it tends to go bad faster than store bought. If you don’t get time to pick your own, go to a food distribution center and buy a case of each kind.

9. can all the time! My husband grew up canning. I didn´t, but love it now:)

10. Vegetable broth! I´m allergic to garlic and onions so I can´t use canned products; I always make my own and freeze, but it would be so much easier to use if the broth was canned. :-)

• Prissnboot says:

I totally agree – I made veggie broth, chicken broth and beef broth over the weekend and now my tiny refrigerator is full of 2-cup freezer bags of broth.

11. Pickled green tomatoes like my great grandmother used to make!

12. sam says:

Let the pickling begin!! =)
    (Those look delicious btw)

13. I would like to see canning green beans, tomato´s, tomato sauce, plum jelly, blackberry jam, canned cherries. Thank you, for doing this, cause I am a chicken when it comes to the pressure cooker and be careful.

14. I do green beans,tomatoes, beets, peaches, juice. But my grape juice is always cloudy!!! Not like my grandmother´s. Would love to know how to can meat – and free up some freezer space!

15. Ellie Riley says:

I´d love so see a good recipe for bread and butter pickles, the kind of pickles that don´t require brining or special salts. :-)

• Lois Lindeman says:

Check the Ball Blue Book, their Bread and Butter recipe is wonderful…..I made some years ago….didn’t go thru it like I thought we would….years later I made “relish” out of it by grinding it in my food processor….YUM !!

16. Just posted today that I have over 100 jars of canned goods on my shelves that my family and I have been doing all summer long. One of my favorite times is seeming all the pretty jars filled after a long days work!

17. Alene Wright says:

Pickles, Israeli eggplant salad, Israeli mixed pickled vegetables–and all the recipes you proposed above sound great. :)

18. Angel Kania says:

Pepper jelly… homemade vanilla extract both make a very good small gift ….(canned)

19. Matt Braybon says:

I had an amazing carrot jam in Israel, with cinnamon sticks….I´d love to see that!!

20. Thanks, Tori. Always good to be reminded.

21. Kaye Edwards says:

Sure wish we lived in the country!

22. Lois Lindeman says:

Been canning for years….my mom never did, but hubby’s did…got the itch and now I love it. I try to do something “new” every year (it may or may not get repeated), but my staples are tomato pieces (from this I make sauces and stews, soups and more), stewed tomatoes, salsa, pieces with jalapenos, beets, yams, corn, green beans, pickles, some jams (made FIG for the first time!) cranberry relish, peaches and applesauce. New this year was pickled garlic. Its a wonderful time and is such a great feeling when you hear the PING !!

23. It´s always good to have a can-do attitude.

24. Pumpkin butter (like Trader Joe´s) without sugar but with honey…yum! I´d love to learn how to can spaghetti sauces and salsas!

25. I have canned over 500 jars this spring and summer and still canning. Can 40 lbs of chicken this past weekend. I can everything! GO FOR IT!!

26. u r beautifukl yes I had wine! Will try and watch this later! Great eduction! Love you Tori!

27. John Owens says:

Looks delicious! <3 O:)

28. Youse is the cat´s pajama´s. Thanks a bunch.

29. They look so pretty & scrumptious!

30. My dad has this year an amazing plum crop. Do you have some recipes? Maybe a plum sauce?

31. I love canning! Great tips, Tori!

32. Liz Gray says:

I love to can both water bath & pressure. I give away most of what I preserve since I could not possible eat it all & do it for the pleasure & relaxation I get from canning. I love to see a good recipe for Bread & Butter Jalapeños. Pickling other kinds of vegetables. Also home canned chicken and vegetable soups. I love homemade soups but have not found good canning recipes for them. I too am Jewish and am wondering if any holiday foods could be canned for easier prep?

33. Liz Gray says:

When I was a child my mother made kraut by packing cut cabbage directly into quart jars and added some amount of salt. Not sure if she added anything else or not. The jars were set in our very dark and cold basement and we could open & eat them after several months. It was a wonderful kraut. I have looked everywhere for this recipe and cannot find it…any ideas?

34. I put-up wild raspberry persevere this summer. …on the road in a 1958 Shasta trailer. ….lol. ..I love canning~ e

35. Angela would love this, she would love to grow up and do your job! She likes your blog too!

36. Pickles beets please? I´ve tried 6 times… All fails. And I just made pickled watermelon rind last summer for the first time and although it was sooooo time consuming it was the best pickle I ever made!

37. Pak Dong (Thai cabbage) would be great.

38. My mom does this sorta stuff. Love it.

39. Millie Grill says:

I just canned 30 jars of brandied homegrown pears and figs. Fantastic!

40. Nina says:

I love canning! I was so afraid to try it for so long – worried the jars would explode, or that I’d give someone botulism – but I finally tried it, and it is not hard! I didn’t even have a rack to put in the pot – I put a folded up dishtowel in there. I did it that way a couple of times, but it’s not ideal – so I recently bought a rack. Now all I need is the perfect recipe for amba!

41. Lise Roussel says:

i would like to know how to make and can pumpkin and salsa please :)

42. Sherrie says:

Would love an easy peasy way to can cabbage/saurkraut. I have at least 3 heads or red cabbage in the garden – any suggestions ??