Roasted Sesame Asparagus

Roasted Sesame Asparagus Recipe #vegan #healthy

Guess what guys? I’m in Hawaii! It’s part work, part vacation, and I am completely happy to be here. We’re staying in Waikiki, and the ocean outside is calling my name. Rather than spend a bunch of time waxing poetic about asparagus, I’m just going to give you this recipe I developed a few months ago with all of my love. It’s tender oven-roasted asparagus with a sweet and spicy sesame sauce. The whole flavor profile seems kind of appropriate, given that we’re in the middle of the Pacific ocean halfway to Tokyo. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Aloha!

GF modification: To make this dish gluten free, make sure your soy sauce and rice vinegar are certified gluten free. Many soy sauces have gluten in them so choose carefully! You can also use tamari as a sub for the soy sauce, there are some gluten free certified varieties.

Roasted Sesame Asparagus Recipe #vegan #healthy

• 1 1/2 tbsp agave nectar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
Total Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: 4
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Wash asparagus and pat dry. Trim off the tough, thick end part of each stalk. Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier cleanup, if desired. Spread asparagus out on ungreased baking sheet. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil evenly over the top of the asparagus; I use about 1 tbsp of oil for each pound of asparagus. Use your fingers to gently rub each stalk evenly with the olive oil. Sprinkle the asparagus lightly with salt and pepper. Place in the oven.
  • Roasted Sesame Asparagus Recipe #vegan #healthyRoast the asparagus for 12-15 minutes. You will know they’re done when the asparagus turns bright green, the stems are tender, and the tips of the asparagus begin to get crisp. Small or very thin stalks may take less than 12 minutes to roast.
  • Roasted Sesame Asparagus Recipe #vegan #healthyWhile asparagus is roasting, make sauce. In a small saucepan, whisk together cornstarch, sesame oil, rice vinegar, agave nectar, soy sauce and cayenne till smooth. Turn on the stove to medium and heat up the sauce, whisking constantly, till it boils around the edges and thickens.
  • Roasted Sesame Asparagus Recipe #vegan #healthyDrizzle the roasted asparagus with warm sesame sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve warm.
  • Roasted Sesame Asparagus Recipe #vegan #healthy

Category: Gluten Free with Modification, Healthy, In the Kitchen, Pareve, Purim, Recipes, Rosh Hashanah, Shavuot, Side Dishes, Slide Show, Sukkot, Thanksgiving, Thanksgivukah, Tomato Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

1. Mima Cole says:

what do you think of making this recipe with green beans?

2. You lucky duck, being in Hawaii! Fresh asparagus is out of season here in the flatlands so pretty pricey right now. But I shall save this for spring or like Mina suggested, make this with green beans! Love your recipes :-)

3. David says:

I use oyster sauce on the asparagus spears and on broccoli. It’s so delish.

4. Very nice dish…I would love to try it as I´m always looking for new ways to change up asparagus. :)

5. Not into Veganism at all, but I´m into great vegetables done in new ways. CHEERS!

6. Beth says:

Would honey work as a substitute for the agave nectar? I would love to try this tonight, but that is the only ingredient I don’t have.

7. Martha Healy says:

Love your recipes BUT what do we do with the rest of the agave necter(not a common ingredient) after we use 1-1/2 tbsp?

Martha you can sub 1 tbsp of honey for the agave (or more to taste if needed). Or buy some agave and use it to sweeten drinks, smoothies, and more! It’s lower glycemic than honey and sugar. :)

• Sharon says:

Agave pours easier than honey. I use just a tiny bit of I to salad- first drizzle olive oil, spices, a little agave, the. Either vinegar or lemon. Also great on fruit, Yogurt, any place you need a sweetener.

8. can frozen aspargus be a subsitute? I have a bunch in the freezer???

Sue yes but don’t roast them, frozen vegetables tend to turn out somewhat mushy when roasted. Instead, steam them til heated through and tender, then add the sauce.

9. love asparagus. thanks for the new recipe.

10. Jamie Puffer says:

That sounds delicious!

11. an underutilized veggie! so healthy, versatile, and delicious!

12. I grew up in Hawaii! Make sure you go to Aoki’s shave ice in the North Shore and get it with red beans! Aloha!

13. Barb O says:

Looking forward to trying this recipe. I love asparagus, and roasting brings out the flavor so well! I think I will also toast the sesame seeds – again, a very nice intensified flavor.

14. Barb O says:

Martha, agave nectar is a very light sweetener that can be added to fruit before adding yogurt and granola – a really nice added flavor! Also good for sweetening margaritas made with fresh lime juice!

15. Diane says:

Thank you! Is the agave nectar lower in calories? And what IS agave? My brain is thinking ‘cactus’. ?

Hi Diane, I’m not sure about the calorie count, but agave has a lower glycemic index (less of the “sugar effect” in your body) than honey. And yes, it does come from a variety of cactus.