Rum Raisin Cranberry Kugel

Rum Raisin Cranberry Kugel #jewish #holiday #recipe

You can never have too many kugel recipes. I love the seasonal flavor of this sweet and grown-up Rum Raisin Cranberry Kugel. The rum idea came from a reader named Nancy (yes, I do read every single one of your comments!) who wrote that she often plumps her raisins in rum before adding them to her kugel. I thought the idea was inspired. She soaks hers overnight in rum, but I didn’t have the time or patience for that, so I simmered both raisins and dried cranberries in hot rum on the stovetop. The alcohol is mostly cooked out, but the essence of the rum remains, giving this kugel a rich flavor and a wonderful seasonal quality. I also added chopped walnuts, brown sugar and autumn spices for texture and to “warm up” the flavor. It turned out scrumptious!

This Rum Raisin Cranberry Kugel would be great for breaking the fast on Yom Kippur, as part of a Sukkot meal, or for Hanukkah (and Thanksgiving, since both start on the same day this year!). You could even bring it to a Christmas potluck if that’s the holiday you celebrate. This kugel definitely has an autumn/winter holiday vibe. Kugels are easy to make, easy to transport, and always a crowd pleaser. Or, make it just because. It’s carb heaven, the ultimate comfort food!

This kugel appeared on Daily Candy the week before Rosh Hashanah (yay!). In case you don’t know about it, Daily Candy is a really fun site; they email you a new surprise each day based on where you live. Sometimes it’s an introduction to a brand, or an event, or a website you might love. My kugel recipe was emailed to the Los Angeles area, because that’s where I live. Definitely worth checking out and subscribing!

What’s your favorite way to make kugel?

Rum Raisin Cranberry Kugel

• 3/4 cup raisins
  • 3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
  • 1 1/4 cup dark rum
  • 12 oz. wide egg noodles
  • 6 large eggs
  • 2 cups sour cream (use lowfat if desired)
  • 1 cup ricotta (use lowfat if desired)
  • 1 cup cream cheese, softened (use lowfat if desired)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. allspice
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 cups chopped walnuts (optional- leave out for nut allergies)
  • Nonstick cooking oil spray
  • Cinnamon and sugar for dusting, or the topping of your choice
Total Time: 90 - 100 Minutes
Servings: 15
Kosher Key: Dairy
  • Place a rack in the middle of your oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. On the stovetop, place the raisins and cranberries in a small pot and cover with rum.
  • Rum Raisin Cranberry Kugel #jewish #holiday #recipeSimmer the mixture over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, until the fruit has plumped and all the liquid is absorbed. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't burn. Remove from heat and reserve.
  • Rum Raisin Cranberry Kugel #jewish #holiday #recipeMeanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the noodles to the pot, bring back to a boil, and let the noodles cook till tender (not overly soft) for about 5 minutes. Drain, rinse briefly with cold water, and return to the pot.
  • Rum Raisin Cranberry Kugel #jewish #holiday #recipeIn a food processor or blender, mix together the eggs, sour cream, ricotta, cream cheese, sugar, brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla, spices, and salt.
  • Rum Raisin Cranberry Kugel #jewish #holiday #recipePour the blended egg mixture over the cooked noodles in the pot and stir until well combined. Add the rum raisins, cranberries, and walnuts, and stir into the noodles.
  • Rum Raisin Cranberry Kugel #jewish #holiday #recipeSpray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the noodle mixture into the dish. Top the kugel by sprinkling generously with sugar and lightly with cinnamon. Alternatively, use your favorite kugel topping (streusel, crushed graham crackers, cornflakes, etc.). I like this kugel with a graham cracker topping, but many prefer the crunchy texture that forms when the noodles bake and brown on top. Either way works!
  • Rum Raisin Cranberry Kugel #jewish #holiday #recipeBake about 60 minutes, turning once halfway through, until the center is set and the tips of the noodles turn golden brown. Remove from the oven. Let rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing. For a cleaner slice, let the kugel cool to room temperature before cutting.
  • Serve warm or cold. If not serving the same day, keep refrigerated. Note: to reduce fat you can use lowfat dairy, but do not sub nonfat dairy. The flavor will suffer. I prefer full fat ingredients, which have less fillers in them-- plus they taste better!
  • Rum Raisin Cranberry Kugel #jewish #holiday #recipe

Category: Baked Goods and Brunch Fare, Dairy, Hanukkah, In the Kitchen, Purim, Recipes, Rosh Hashanah, Shavuot, Slide Show, Sukkot, Thanksgiving, Thanksgivukah, Tomato Free, Vegetarian, Yom Kippur Break Fast

1. Gilly Martin says:

Mmmmm. My mom usually makes lukshen kugel. This one looks amazing.

2. Could dates be subbed for raisins? My hubby and I dislike raisins.

Hi Cynthia! You could use a few chopped dates (not more than 10 or so, they are super sweet), or you could substitute all dried sweetened cranberries instead. Enjoy!

3. what is a Kugel?? looks delish!

Rosa a kugel is a Jewish dish similar to a casserole or pudding, often (but not always) made with noodles. The dish originated over 800 years ago in southern Germany and became a staple with Jewish families throughout Eastern Europe. They can be made sweet or savory, but are more often sweet.

4. Jamie Conde says:

I´ve made pa Dutch kugel before. How does a non Jew make sure they are cooking kosher kugel?

5. Looks delicious! One favorite kugel variation is Joan Nathan´s Jerusalem Kugel, but I use ghee instead of oil. Sublime!

6. Jamie Conde says:

I used wide curly egg noodles, cinnamon, and raisins

7. I use drained crushed pineapple and dried cranberries and substitute sugar with Splenda. I make a crunchy topping of crushed corn flakes, cinnamon and brown sugar. Then drizzle with melted butter or oleo.

8. Great idea for a kugel! As far as I’m concerned, a little booze never hurt any recipe.

9. I use sour creAM, CREAM CHEESE AND COTTAGE CHEESE WITH SUGAR and cinnamon!

10. Irene Solnik says:

i love all kinds of kugel, especially meat and potatoes over night

11. The old standard cottage cheese, eggs, noodles and cinnamon. No fruit or raisins.

12. I like my kugel sweet with no cornflakes or crunchy stuff.

13. We tried a Kugel, we didn´t like it. May try this one. Maybe you need to grow up eating them.

14. No cranberries around here, raisins work?

15. Toni says:

Is there something that can be substituted for the egg noodles? I don’t eat any kind of pasta or noodles but this sounds too good to pass up. I’d appreciate any suggestions.

16. My mother made noodle pudding in a frying pan, just eggs and cinnamon, no fruit, except raisins as far as I can remember. She fried it in a perfect circle, crisp and subtle. I have never seen a recipe for what or how she did it. She died when I was young, and I never got to ask her. I however cannot forget how delicious it was, served cut like a pie as dinner side dish. Anyone know the secret of her style?

17. Robin says:

Not in love with rum. Can something else be used?

18. Mine is Potato Kugel with all of that nice crispy crusts! But I love a good luchen kugel.

19. Kristy Stone says:

Thanks darlin´. I´ll pick up a peice later. ;) XD

20. Tori, does a kugel have to be sweet? A few years ago at a church supper we made something with noodles, ricotta, bread crumbs, & cheddar cheese? It was awesome!

21. i can´t wait to try it mmmmmmmm

22. Classic kugel Yerushalmi with vermicelli, cane sugar browned in oil, eggs and enough pepper to taste like something.

23. Leah Saban says:

I love sweet jerushalmi kugel with lots of black better, made on top of the stove

24. Ratners Dairy Restaurant recipe!

25. have someone make it for me? I miss my Jewish friends. :-(

26. Grandma´s wsy. Potaoes, onions, salt pirk, sour cream on top! Oh yes!

27. I remember eating that. My aunt and uncle where custodians at a Temple and we shared many a Noodle Pudding as we use to say. Would love to have some. Where can I get some in the Bronx?

• Soraya Liebson says:

If you’re in the Bronx, there’s a large Jewish community on Riverside (around 183rd) plenty of good delicatessen and kosher restaurants. Can’t go wrong with pastrami on rye and matzo ball soup. Enjoy!

28. ~It´s a delish Jewish dish~

29. I love kugel, but I am not sure this would be to my liking. I don´t like raisins when they are wet. My favorite kugel is just noodles, cheese, eggs and milk, a little sugar and cinnamon on top.

30. I remember this when I was young, my aunt use to make it, ty

31. Irma G. Wassermann says:

I make a dairy kugel with 12oz or 1 lb medium noodles. Beat up 8 eggs in blender, adding 8 oz lo fat sour cream, brown splenda sugar to taste, few tsp vanilla, parve spread. Beat till frothy. Pour over cooked noodles(warm) and add 1lb lo fat cottage cheese and remainder of sour cream. I generally use a 1 16 oz of sour cream. I also add cinnamon to the mixture. Pour into a half size throw away pan. Spray pan with Crisco spray. Bake @ 375 for first hlf hour. Than
    Add a can of either canned apple pie filling or canned cherry pie filling on top and bake for another half hr, or until brown or to your taste. I usually cut up the apple slices an spread on kugel, add a bit more cinnamon if you like. Enjoy. I use this recipe as well for Chanukah.

32. Ricardo P. Limon says:

wow, looks, great. good :)

33. Dave Giaimo says:

Looks absolutely delicious!

34. May McNeill says:

Toda for this Tori, it looks delicious. I definitely will try this! <3

35. noodle pudding, yummy u can add fruit, meat veggies .)