Rum and Coffee Brisket

Rum and Coffee Brisket Recipe

Rum… and coffee… brisket?? Sounds crazy, I know. And yet, you were curious enough to click through, which means you’ve got an open mind. Trust me, this is one cooking experiment you must try!

I’ve been around the brisket block a time or two. I’ve done the traditional, the herb braised, the onion soup, the beer brisket. I’ve even dabbled in the exotic with Middle Eastern-inspired flavors, like pomegranate molasses brisket. Me and brisket are old friends. So this year, with the High Holidays approaching, I challenged myself to come up with something new and different. A few years ago, a friend mentioned to me that she uses coffee as part of the cooking liquid for her brisket. I loved that idea… something about the flavor of coffee and brisket seemed to just go together. I’d also seen a bourbon coffee brisket recipe in a cooking magazine a few years back (Bon Appetit, I think?) which sounded interesting. I don’t love bourbon, but when alcohol cooks down in a recipe like this it often tastes nothing like the original drink. I experimented with combining bourbon and coffee, then beer and coffee. I replaced regular coffee with a darker espresso blend, which gave the sauce a deeper flavor. Then my friend Gary, a chef, suggested rum.

Bingo! The result was off-the-charts delicious. With onions, garlic, and red peppers added for a very subtle sweetness, this brisket turned out incredibly flavorful. It’s still that homey, comforting brisket we know and love… the tender, savory goodness you’ve come to expect at the holidays. And yet, there’s something different… something special. I had a few friends taste test it, and they couldn’t put their finger on what it was, but they all agreed it was amazing. When I told them it was rum and coffee, they were floored. Then they asked for seconds.

Some of you might be put off by the idea of the rum, thinking the flavor will be too strong. Let me assure you that there is very little “rum” flavor to the brisket. When the alcohol of the rum cooks off, it leaves behind a trace of rum essence; it’s very subtle, the opposite of overpowering. What I taste here more is the coffee. It makes a dark, rich, savory sauce that infuses the brisket with tons of flavor. Make it ahead if you can, and let the brisket marinate in the sauce overnight (or even two nights). Prepare to swoon. You’ll love it!

What is your favorite way to make brisket?

Rum and Coffee Brisket Recipe

Rum and Coffee Brisket

• 5-7 lb brisket, first cut
  • 4 cups onion, peeled and diced
  • 4 cups red bell pepper, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 2 cups strong brewed coffee or espresso blend
  • ¾ cup dark rum (recommended Bacardi Select)
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • Beef broth
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 4 tsp cornstarch

• Large heavy roasting pan, foil, skillet (if needed), blender (optional). If making ahead, you will also need plastic wrap and a ceramic or glass roasting dish.
Total Time: 7 - 48 Hours
Servings: 8-12 servings
Kosher Key: Meat
  • Note: If gluten free, make sure all pre-packaged products including rum and beef broth are certified gluten free. If making for Passover, check to make sure your rum and all other pre-packaged products have a Passover kosher hechsher.
  • Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Rinse the brisket and pat dry, rub with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large roasting pan over medium high heat. Place the brisket into the pan. Brown the brisket on both sides (about 5 minutes per side). If you don't have a roasting pan that will heat up on your stovetop, you can do these initial browning and sautéing steps in a large skillet, then transfer everything over to a large roasting dish before putting in the oven.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeRemove brisket from the pan. Drizzle remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in the pan and add the diced onions, diced red peppers and garlic. Sauté the vegetables for a few minutes, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with your spatula.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeWhen onion is translucent, add coffee and rum and bring to a simmer. Scrape up any remaining brown bits on the bottom of the pan as the liquid heats up.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipePlace brisket back into the pan, cover with peppers, onions and liquid. Pour beef broth into the pan until it goes halfway up the sides of your brisket.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeCover roasting pan tightly with foil, tenting slightly so there is no contact between the foil and the ingredients inside, and place in the oven.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeLet the brisket roast undisturbed for 5 to 7 hours. It will take about 1 hour per pound of meat (leaner cuts of meat may take longer—test for doneness). Brisket is ready when it flakes and is fork tender. You can let it cook even longer for a soft, shredded texture if that’s what you prefer. When fully cooked, the brisket will have shrunk in size.
  • I recommend making this brisket ahead; allowing it to sit in the refrigerator for 1-2 nights will improve the flavor. If you would like to do this, skip ahead to where it says “Make Ahead Directions.” If you are not making ahead, continue reading.
  • Remove brisket from the pan and let it rest on the cutting board fat-side up for 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, pour the sauce and vegetables from the roasting pan into a smaller saucepan. Skim fat from the surface of the cooking sauce, then reheat the sauce till hot. Mix together 4 tsp cornstarch and 2 tbsp cold water till smooth, then stir into the sauce. bring sauce to a boil till it thickens (add more cornstarch/water mixture to thicken further, if desired). Alternatively, once you've skimmed the fat from the sauce, you can blend the sauce and vegetables in a blender, then reheat the mixture to make a thicker gravy (you will lose the pretty pepper chunks this way, but the gravy will be nice and flavorful). Cut fat cap off the brisket, then cut the brisket in thin slices against the grain. Serve brisket topped with warm sauce and softened veggies.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket Recipe

Make Ahead Directions (Recommended)

• Open the foil to vent and let the brisket slowly return to room temperature. Discard foil. Transfer brisket, vegetables and cooking juices over to a glass or ceramic baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Let the brisket chill overnight, or up to two days. You can also freeze the brisket up to a week ahead if you prefer.
  • 1-2 hours before serving, remove the brisket from the refrigerator and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. The fat in the sauce will have risen to the top and solidified. Use a spoon to scoop the fat bits out of the sauce and discard. Take the brisket out of the dish and brush any excess sauce and vegetables back into the dish. Place brisket on a cutting board, fat-side up. Slice the meat cold—first cut the fat cap off the brisket, then cut the brisket in thin slices against the grain.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeTake the brisket out of the dish and brush any excess sauce and vegetables back into the dish. Place brisket on a cutting board, fat-side up. Slice the meat cold—first cut the fatty flat cap off the brisket, then cut the brisket in thin slices against the grain.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeIf my brisket is very large and wide, I often cut the slices in half lengthwise to make the size of the brisket pieces more manageable.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeMix 4 tsp of cornstarch into 2 tbsp of cold water. Stir the mixture into your cooking liquid. Alternatively, rather than adding the cornstarch mixture, you can blend the sauce to make a gravy. Once you've skimmed the fat from the sauce, pour the chilled cooking liquid and vegetables into a blender and blend. This will make a thick and flavorful gravy, but you will lose the pretty pepper chunks. Either way works!
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeReturn the sliced brisket to the dish and spoon sauce and vegetables or blended gravy over it, making sure to spoon a little sauce between each slice.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeCover the dish with foil and place it in the oven. Let the brisket roast for 45-60 minutes till heated through. You can cook it even longer to let it become more tender, if you wish. To thicken the sauce further, stir in more of the cornstarch/water mixture, a teaspoon at a time, into the hot sauce till it has thickened to your liking. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Serve brisket with pan sauce and softened veggies.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket Recipe

Category: Entrees, Gluten Free, Hanukkah, In the Kitchen, Meat, Nut Free, Passover, Passover - Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Sephardic, Passover - Sephardic, Recipes, Rosh Hashanah, Slide Show, Tomato Free

1. Polina Spirt says:

Cranberry sauce ,onion soup and tomato sauce over the meat pepper to taste. Cover and roast 350 45min per pound!

2. Liz Feuer says:

I will be making this for Rosh Hashonna! Great recipe!

3. Shira Kestenbaum says:

This looks amazing! Two questions – are the peppers very significant or can I make without/substitute something else? And is this doable in a crock pot?

Hi Shira– you can make it without the peppers, and yes you can make it in a crock pot. Just make sure you perform all of the searing steps first in a skillet, then transfer everything over to the slow cooker. Also, keep an eye on liquid levels in the slow cooker to make sure it doesn’t become dry (all alow cookers cook at different speeds/heat levels– in mine the liquid levels would be just fine, but in some other cookers the heat may cause a lot of the juices to evaporate during cooking).

4. Hannah, Israel says:

Tori,
    This looks scrumptious!
    I don’t think I can get dark kosher rum over here (Israel) – any ideas as to what can replace the rum?
    Thanks in advance,
    Hanni

Hi Hannah! Great to hear from you. You can also use a light rum, as long as it doesn’t have any other flavorings (like coconut). The flavor of light rum isn’t quite as robust, but when cooked down in this recipe there won’t be a huge difference in flavor. Any dark beer will work too, like Guinness–it won’t taste exactly the same, but it will still be delish. You could also use bourbon. Let us know how it turns out for you, or if you’re able to find dark rum in Israel, and where. I’m sure other readers might have the same question. :)

• Hannah Simpson-Grossman says:

Thanks Tori – will use dark beer or light rum – will update you as to which, please God.
      Shana Tova!

Shana tova Hannah! So great to know that this brisket will be cooking away in Israel. Please do let us know how it turns out for you!

5. Shelley Tobias says:

Hi Tory
    I made this dish for Shabbas this week to try it before making it for yom tov. Absolutely amazing – soft, juicy and tender – totally worth making again and again and again. I will be making it again for first night Rosh Hashanah. Once again thank you for sharing your wonderful creations with us all.
    May you and your family be inscribed with a year full of Hashem’s richest blessings. With love, Shelley

6. Marcia says:

Hi Tory,
    This recipe looks absolutely delicious and I would like to include it on my Rosh Hashanah menu. My guests include a former alcoholic, a breast feeding mom, and a 4 year old child (I promise we are not filming a reality show in my dining room!), and I am wondering if the alcohol and/or coffee would present a problem. Also, is it absolutely necessary to sear the meat before roasting?

Hi Marcia– first off, I highly recommend searing the meat since the brown bits help to add a lot of flavor to the finished dish. You can sear it in a skillet if you prefer, then transfer it to the roasting pan if that makes things easier. As far as your guests, I am told that many alcoholics do not like to cook with alcohol, even though the actual alcohol cooks off during the roasting process– and with a breastfeeding mom and child, it might be best to avoid alcohol. As a sub, try using beef broth mixed with 1 tbsp brown sugar in place of the rum. Or, you can try one of my other brisket recipes, which don’t contain alcohol. Here are a few choices:

link to theshiksa.com

link to theshiksa.com

link to theshiksa.com

link to theshiksa.com

Hope that helps!

7. Marcia says:

Thanks so much for these suggestions, Tory. I will save the Rum and Coffee Brisket for another time, and will serve your Holiday Brisket to my Rosh Hashanah guests. I made your Stovetop Tzimmes last year and it was a big hit, so that will be on the menu as well. Your website is incredible and I can’t thank you enough for giving me countless recipe ideas and answers to my numerous questions. Shanah Tovah to you and your family!

8. Ellen F. says:

I’m going to try the rum brisket in the slow cooker, hope it works.

Hi Ellen, it should work fine as long as you do the browning and saute the vegetables in a skillet before placing in the slow cooker. Enjoy!

9. Judy says:

What part of the cow is brisket? I don’t know what it’s called in Israel.

Hi Judy, it is a flat cut or point cut from the breast section.

• Susann Codish says:

Judy – if you’re near Ra’anana, try shopping at Meatland (on Ahuza). The store carries brisket and labels it as such. It comes in rectangular hunks in sizes varying from 1-2.5 kg. I’m waiting for my own attempt at this recipe to finish cooking. Shana tova to one and all.

10. sherri says:

would using clear rum significantly alter this recipe?

Not too significantly, though I do suggest dark rum if you can find it… it has a much more robust flavor that better suits the savory brisket. That said, clear rum will do in a pinch.

• sherri says:

you cant get dark rum in israel, at least i couldn’t find it. also all the first cut brisket was way too small pieces for this recipe, so i got regular brisket…hope that doesn’t have a negative impact.

Regular brisket will work too, you’ll just have to cut/skim more fat from it after cooking. Some actually prefer second cut because the additional fat can help to make the meat even more tender. Enjoy!

• sherri says:

thank you so much for being so responsive and helpful. shana tova to you!

Shana tova Sherri, have a wonderful holiday!

11. Lori Lynn says:

Hi Tori – this looks great! Coffee and rum, sounds Jamaican! Like to see something new in brisket…
    Your brisket instructions are terrific as well.
    Happy Holidays!
    LL

12. Judy says:

Thank you but what’s it called in Hebrew? I don’t buy much meat here. Too expensive. I’ve a bottle of bacardi rum in a cupboard unopened for about 20 years or so. My dad bought it for me all those years ago when rum and coke were the thing. I never opened it and don’t drink alcohol now!! Where do you live Sherri? Shana tova to all of you.

There is no direct translation for the word brisket, the closest I could find is the words chaze bakar (the ch is the glottal sound), meaning the chest of the cow. Here it is in Hebrew letters, you might want to have a Hebrew-speaking friend read it to you out loud or print it to show the butcher: חזה בקר

• sherri says:

judy i’m in ma’ale adumim, but i went to jerusalem to pick up the meat. i also dont eat too much meat, but i’m going to make this for rosh hashana. wanna come by?

13. Judy says:

I’d love to but I’m not near you. I’m in Kiryat Ono. That’s quite near Bar Ilan university. I’m an ex Brit been here 45 years. Anyway חג סמח. I presume you’re religious. :-)

14. Judy says:

Dear Tori. I’m Jewish. Learned to read Hebrew at Hebrew classes from age 7. Been in Israel for 45 years but don’t know the parts of beef in Hebrew. I just take what looks good and isn’t too expensive. Sherri do you know what brisket is in hebrew? Tori why did you think I wasn’t Jewish?

Hi Judy, you asked me to give you the Hebrew word for brisket, so I wasn’t sure how much Hebrew you know. I have many Jewish friends who didn’t grow up learning to read/speak Hebrew (or promptly forgot it after their bar/bat mitzvah). In addition, many of my readers are not Jewish, they just enjoy the recipes– so I didn’t want to assume anything. I was just providing as much information as I could to be helpful. My Israeli husband had to help me with this one, and he believes this is the most clear translation. Maybe another Israeli wants to chime in with further information.

• sherri says:

here is a chart of israeli meat cuts–they usually go by numbers here……….link to cooking.marcgottlieb.com. he calls brisket chazeh. going to move my daughter to bar ilan neighborhood tomorrow night. should i check to see if our local (ma’ale adumim) butcher has a brisket for you? (i got ours in jerusalem where they sell american cuts…but am not going back until perhaps next week)? Chag Sameach and Shana Tova to all!

15. Judy says:

Sorry. I didn’t have a bat mitzvah so I didn’t forget what I’d learned which was really only to read. There’s a very expensive piece of meat called a sheitel! I’m on a recipe collecting jag. I’m not looking for kosher in particular. I’m afraid I became non-kosher when I came here. Stopped fasting on yom kippur. Don’t go to shul anymore. I don’t even know if my 42 year old son has ever laid his tiffilin. My dad gave him the ones he got for his barmitzvah and then he took my zaida’s. Mind you said son fasts and his kids do to. It’s 2.15am and I should be sleeping. I have a tiny tiny black and white kitty sleeping between the calves of my legs. I love cats. I have 2. The second one has just jumped up too and is washing the baby. He does that about ten times a day. He’s the cleanest cat in the world poor baby.

• sherri says:

“shaitel” is on the link i just sent. that is a really useful list for every meat cut in israel…what it’s called in hebrew and it’s number. good luck to you.

16. Judy says:

Thank you. Have a good year and an easy fast.

17. Marcia says:

Hi Tori,
    It’s me again :) As per your great suggestion above, I am going to make your Holiday Brisket this year because of some of my guests’ particular issues. There must have been a rush on briskets over the last few days, and I had to buy one that weighed 8.5 lbs. after some of the fat had been removed. I don’t mind having more leftovers, but am wondering if I will need to increase any of the other ingredients so that I will have enough gravy. I will use a skillet to saute the onions, carrots, and celery slices but the butcher suggested we use our BBQ to sear the meat. Do you think that this will be OK? Thanks in advance for any advice you might provide.

Hi Marcia! First off, I don’t recommend removing the fat– that’s what helps to keep the brisket moist and tender as it cooks. You can always remove it after cooking. That said, as long as the butcher didn’t remove too much it shouldn’t be a big problem (I hope!). As for adding more ingredients, you can throw in a few more veggies/onions if you want, but there should be enough sauce to cover the brisket. You can always add a little extra broth if you need to. The important part is that the brisket should be at least half submerged in liquid throughout the cooking process. I don’t recommend searing the meat on the barbecue; if it were me, I would either slice the brisket in half and sear each piece separately in the skillet, or I’d sear the brisket in a large metal roasting pan on the stovetop. Part of the flavor in the sauce comes from the brown bits you get from searing in the same skillet/pan as the veggies, and you would lose that on the barbecue. Good luck!

18. Marcia says:

There is plenty of fat left on the meat, so it should be fine in that regard. I do appreciate your quick response. Thanks for your suggestions and I will let you know how it all turns out!!

19. Judy says:

Dear Sussan. I’m the opposite end to Raanana. I’d love to go to meatland not for the meat but for all the imported stuff especially that from England. How many more of you in Israel? Happy New Year to everyone.

20. Judy says:

Jerry. You mum’s recipe sounds delic. My mum never taught us how to cook. She’d been in my bobba’s kitchen from age 4 and didn’t want us to be the same. I taught myself and became an excellent cook and Baker of cakes. Happy New Year.

21. Dave S says:

Hi Tori,
    This looks great. Do you think there would be a big difference in taste in NOT using dark rum but rather a regular old rum? I just can’t see going out to the liquor store to buy a bottle of rum just for this recipe when I already have plain Bacardi unless there’s a big enough difference in taste to make it worth it.

Thanks! I have the brisket, now just waiting to see the best recipe.

Dave

Hi Dave, it won’t make a huge difference– the dark rum is a bit more rich and savory, but after the long cooking process it won’t make a huge difference. Bacardi should work fine. Enjoy!

• Dave S says:

Hi Tori,
      I decided to go buy the Bacardi that you suggested. A small bottle wasn’t that expensive.

My ex-wife who was over with the kids for dinner for the holiday and couldn’t believe how good the brisket was. She’s a really picky eater and would have NEVER have eaten it if I told her if was made with coffee and rum!

I have yet to make any recipe of yours that hasn’t come out absolutely incredible!

I didn’t have time to make the apple challah, but actually got a recipe in the mail from Zabars that was one of the best I’ve ever eaten (though I changed it slightly by reducing sugar and using some agave syrup). My son thought I bought it from the store, lol.

Dave

Love hearing stories like this Dave, thanks for writing!

22. Marcia says:

Hi Tori,
    I just wanted to tell you that I followed all of your instructions (searing in a roasting pan stovetop was not as difficult as I had thought it would be), and my Holiday Brisket was absolutely amazing. Everyone agreed that it was my best brisket ever … so tender and flavorful. It was my 8 month old granddaughter’s first taste of brisket and even she couldn’t get enough of it! Your stove top tsimmes again got rave reviews, as did the roasted beet salad with mint. Honestly, the meal was so delicious, and I kept thinking that if it wasn’t for you and your terrific website, I would not have been able to make such a wonderful meal for my family. So thank you again for all that you do, especially your kind and patient responses to my many questions.

Great to hear that Marcia! I hope you get to try more of the recipes throughout the year. There are great options on the site year-round, not just for the holidays! :) Shana tova to you and your family.

23. Marjorie says:

Best Brisket EVER! This is a fabulous recipe – the brisket is moist and juicy and stands up for several days. It’s great on crusty Italian bread!

24. Susann Codish says:

Just wanted to report that I made your brisket for Rosh Hashanah and it was amazing! I also stole your idea of stuffing my challah with apple bits (plus raisins and cinnamon), and my granddaughter demolished it. The eating was phenomenal and I wanted to thank you for being a big part of that. L’shana tova tikatevi v’tehatemi!

25. amy says:

We prepared your brisket erev Rosh Hashonah and it was divine!
    The recipe is a keeper. We will serve it regularly. Thank you!

26. mattie says:

hi hun, can I cook the roast, then slice it, separate into small dishes with your ‘make in advance’ sauce, and freeze? or will it come out weird? i saved up for a roast this sukkot, but i want to stretch over the whole yom tov. its cooking right now in the oven the whole house smells soooooo good.

Good question Mattie… I’m not sure if there would be enough liquid for individual serving dishes. You can certainly slice the brisket and freeze it in sauce, then reheat, but I’m not sure about the individual portions. It also tends to reheat better with several slices together in the sauce, there is less chance of it drying out. It might be worth a shot though, if you put 5-6 slices in each dish. Just make sure that there is plenty of sauce on the meat as it reheats (about halfway up the briske)t, and cover with foil as you reheat.

27. mattie says:

Hi Tori, thank you so much for taking the time to respond it is such a chessed. I grew up in a vegetarian home, its my first time cooking roast (kosher meat is so expensive! 3lb brisket was $40) – i hope my husband likes :)
    I read what you said about the sauce, so this afternoon i mixed extra beef broth into the liqued , then corn starch mixture. I put about 6-7 pieces of brisket in small wax-paper lined aluminum pans, covered with the sauce until almost the tippy top and froze.
    i did 3 pans of this – one im not freezing im going to serve for the pre-yom kippur meal.
    the meat was soooo tender it literally fell apart when i tried to cut it. YUM never thought id be caught snacking on brisket pieces but lol – why not right?
    you’re the best i am so excited to serve the roast. i also tried your shwarma recipe its heaven!

28. Patty says:

How much beef broth do you use I the recipe, please?

It depends on the size of your roasting pan or dish, which is why you don’t see an exact amount listed. You pour in the broth till it reaches about halfway up the side of your brisket, as in the picture.

29. Ben says:

I made this for Rosh Hashana. It was awesome. Thanks for the recipe!!

30. Carmela says:

In the oven! can’t wait for it to come out.
    The Rum taste in the sauce is very strong in the beginning, and I hope it dissipates when done. right now it is not very pleasant.

31. Ed zuckerman says:

So many recipes, so little time….they all sound great, I mix tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, whole cranberry,place brisket over cut veggies, onions, carrots, celery, pour sauce over meat.cover tightley with foil, bake 3-4 hr. 350* until tender, remove meat ,add potatoes coook @ 1hr. enjoy…tastes better the next day.

32. Carmela says:

Hi Tori,

It came out great. My 10 years old granddaughter keeps asking me to make it again and again. Thank you for a great recipe.

Btw, someone higher up on the comments list asked how brisket is called in Israel. It’s SHPONDRE. Strange name, I know.

33. Leah says:

I have this brisket in my oven right now but am wondering why you recommend moving it out of the roasting pan to refrigerate it when making ahead.

Hi Leah, metal roasting pans can react with acidic substances when sitting for an extended period of time, which can adversely affect the flavor of the brisket. Best to transfer it to a glass or ceramic dish before refrigerating.

34. colly gruczeak says:

Why did my brisket taste bitter? I followed the recipe exactly.

Colly, while I’ve never had a problem with overwhelming bitterness in this recipe, all meat dishes that are made with coffee will have a slight bitterness to them— it is actually considered a desirable trait in that it adds depth to the sauce. If, however, the sauce is too bitter for your liking you can add some brown sugar to the sauce (to taste), it should help to counteract the bitter flavor.

35. Barbara Geer says:

I have made this recipe quite often – use different cuts of meat as well and each cut is so tasty. I prefer to use the veggies to thicken the sauce – boil a potato and mash that into the gravy.