Rum and Coffee Brisket

Rum and Coffee Brisket Recipe

Rum… and coffee… brisket?? Sounds crazy, I know. And yet, you were curious enough to click through, which means you’ve got an open mind. Trust me, this is one cooking experiment you must try!

I’ve been around the brisket block a time or two. I’ve done the traditional, the herb braised, the onion soup, the beer brisket. I’ve even dabbled in the exotic with Middle Eastern-inspired flavors, like pomegranate molasses brisket. Me and brisket are old friends. So this year, with the High Holidays approaching, I challenged myself to come up with something new and different. A few years ago, a friend mentioned to me that she uses coffee as part of the cooking liquid for her brisket. I loved that idea… something about the flavor of coffee and brisket seemed to just go together. I’d also seen a bourbon coffee brisket recipe in a cooking magazine a few years back (Bon Appetit, I think?) which sounded interesting. I don’t love bourbon, but when alcohol cooks down in a recipe like this it often tastes nothing like the original drink. I experimented with combining bourbon and coffee, then beer and coffee. I replaced regular coffee with a darker espresso blend, which gave the sauce a deeper flavor. Then my friend Gary, a chef, suggested rum.

Bingo! The result was off-the-charts delicious. With onions, garlic, and red peppers added for a very subtle sweetness, this brisket turned out incredibly flavorful. It’s still that homey, comforting brisket we know and love… the tender, savory goodness you’ve come to expect at the holidays. And yet, there’s something different… something special. I had a few friends taste test it, and they couldn’t put their finger on what it was, but they all agreed it was amazing. When I told them it was rum and coffee, they were floored. Then they asked for seconds.

Some of you might be put off by the idea of the rum, thinking the flavor will be too strong. Let me assure you that there is very little “rum” flavor to the brisket. When the alcohol of the rum cooks off, it leaves behind a trace of rum essence; it’s very subtle, the opposite of overpowering. What I taste here more is the coffee. It makes a dark, rich, savory sauce that infuses the brisket with tons of flavor. Make it ahead if you can, and let the brisket marinate in the sauce overnight (or even two nights). Prepare to swoon. You’ll love it!

What is your favorite way to make brisket?

Rum and Coffee Brisket Recipe

Rum and Coffee Brisket

• 5-7 lb brisket, first cut
  • 4 cups onion, peeled and diced
  • 4 cups red bell pepper, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 2 cups strong brewed coffee or espresso blend
  • ¾ cup dark rum (recommended Bacardi Select)
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • Beef broth
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 4 tsp cornstarch

• Large heavy roasting pan, foil, skillet (if needed), blender (optional). If making ahead, you will also need plastic wrap and a ceramic or glass roasting dish.
Total Time: 7 - 48 Hours
Servings: 8-12 servings
Kosher Key: Meat
  • Note: If gluten free, make sure all pre-packaged products including rum and beef broth are certified gluten free. If making for Passover, check to make sure your rum and all other pre-packaged products have a Passover kosher hechsher.
  • Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Rinse the brisket and pat dry, rub with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large roasting pan over medium high heat. Place the brisket into the pan. Brown the brisket on both sides (about 5 minutes per side). If you don't have a roasting pan that will heat up on your stovetop, you can do these initial browning and sautéing steps in a large skillet, then transfer everything over to a large roasting dish before putting in the oven.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeRemove brisket from the pan. Drizzle remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in the pan and add the diced onions, diced red peppers and garlic. Sauté the vegetables for a few minutes, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with your spatula.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeWhen onion is translucent, add coffee and rum and bring to a simmer. Scrape up any remaining brown bits on the bottom of the pan as the liquid heats up.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipePlace brisket back into the pan, cover with peppers, onions and liquid. Pour beef broth into the pan until it goes halfway up the sides of your brisket.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeCover roasting pan tightly with foil, tenting slightly so there is no contact between the foil and the ingredients inside, and place in the oven.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeLet the brisket roast undisturbed for 5 to 7 hours. It will take about 1 hour per pound of meat (leaner cuts of meat may take longer—test for doneness). Brisket is ready when it flakes and is fork tender. You can let it cook even longer for a soft, shredded texture if that’s what you prefer. When fully cooked, the brisket will have shrunk in size.
  • I recommend making this brisket ahead; allowing it to sit in the refrigerator for 1-2 nights will improve the flavor. If you would like to do this, skip ahead to where it says “Make Ahead Directions.” If you are not making ahead, continue reading.
  • Remove brisket from the pan and let it rest on the cutting board fat-side up for 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, pour the sauce and vegetables from the roasting pan into a smaller saucepan. Skim fat from the surface of the cooking sauce, then reheat the sauce till hot. Mix together 4 tsp cornstarch and 2 tbsp cold water till smooth, then stir into the sauce. bring sauce to a boil till it thickens (add more cornstarch/water mixture to thicken further, if desired). Alternatively, once you've skimmed the fat from the sauce, you can blend the sauce and vegetables in a blender, then reheat the mixture to make a thicker gravy (you will lose the pretty pepper chunks this way, but the gravy will be nice and flavorful). Cut fat cap off the brisket, then cut the brisket in thin slices against the grain. Serve brisket topped with warm sauce and softened veggies.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket Recipe

Make Ahead Directions (Recommended)

• Open the foil to vent and let the brisket slowly return to room temperature. Discard foil. Transfer brisket, vegetables and cooking juices over to a glass or ceramic baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Let the brisket chill overnight, or up to two days. You can also freeze the brisket up to a week ahead if you prefer.
  • 1-2 hours before serving, remove the brisket from the refrigerator and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. The fat in the sauce will have risen to the top and solidified. Use a spoon to scoop the fat bits out of the sauce and discard. Take the brisket out of the dish and brush any excess sauce and vegetables back into the dish. Place brisket on a cutting board, fat-side up. Slice the meat cold—first cut the fat cap off the brisket, then cut the brisket in thin slices against the grain.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeTake the brisket out of the dish and brush any excess sauce and vegetables back into the dish. Place brisket on a cutting board, fat-side up. Slice the meat cold—first cut the fatty flat cap off the brisket, then cut the brisket in thin slices against the grain.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeIf my brisket is very large and wide, I often cut the slices in half lengthwise to make the size of the brisket pieces more manageable.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeMix 4 tsp of cornstarch into 2 tbsp of cold water. Stir the mixture into your cooking liquid. Alternatively, rather than adding the cornstarch mixture, you can blend the sauce to make a gravy. Once you've skimmed the fat from the sauce, pour the chilled cooking liquid and vegetables into a blender and blend. This will make a thick and flavorful gravy, but you will lose the pretty pepper chunks. Either way works!
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeReturn the sliced brisket to the dish and spoon sauce and vegetables or blended gravy over it, making sure to spoon a little sauce between each slice.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket RecipeCover the dish with foil and place it in the oven. Let the brisket roast for 45-60 minutes till heated through. You can cook it even longer to let it become more tender, if you wish. To thicken the sauce further, stir in more of the cornstarch/water mixture, a teaspoon at a time, into the hot sauce till it has thickened to your liking. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Serve brisket with pan sauce and softened veggies.
  • Rum and Coffee Brisket Recipe

Category: Entrees, Gluten Free, Hanukkah, In the Kitchen, Meat, Nut Free, Passover, Passover - Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Sephardic, Passover - Sephardic, Recipes, Rosh Hashanah, Slide Show, Tomato Free

1. We make ours with port wine and onion mix

2. Nettie Snape says:

Now I´m hungry already!

3. I have a Guinness and curry powder one I have done a couple of times

4. Donna Silver says:

CAN YOU SEND ME SOME PLEASE … THIS IS BRUTAL …

5. i have so many recipes and I love them all equally. What I can tell you is that I hope Hashem blesses me with a wife like you one day.

6. Pam Dimaio says:

ginger ale & lipton onion soup mix

7. Kita Roberts says:

Loving the sound of this

8. Dry rubbed then hours and hours in the smoker!

9. OMG….. You had me at Rum & Coffee.. the picture was just “gravy”

10. My husband makes his grandmothers homemade sauce and ingredients which won 1st pace at the Houston rodeo :) Any boy it´s sooo good and juicy y´all!

11. I use Shelby´s recipe..but I´m going to dry this one..

12. Coke and onion soup is excellent!

13. I smoke ours for a minimum of 18 hrs. Lots of spices. Also use either Dr. Pepper or Black Cherry soda. That´s my favorite.

14. I have never made a brisket in the oven. This recipe will definitely be tried this weekend <3 Looks so dang good!!!

15. that looks delish! gotta try it.

16. Yum I like where your head is! This does sound crazy…crazy enough to work!

17. Leona Shemza says:

Just in time for Rosh Hashanah meal planning! Thanks!

18. Irene Solnik says:

if I am being traditional, just onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Otherwise your BBQ recipe.

19. 1) Onions, garlic, carrots, all minced in a food processor. Brisket seared in a hot pan salt & pepper on both sides. Add veggies, this will deglaze the pan, then add beef broth and water to cover brisket and simmer on stove or in the oven 11/2-2 hours. Cool, slice, back into juice to heat, great served with kasha and bowties. 2) Sear brisket same as above, lots of whole garlic, broth and water, cool, slice, great for brisket sandwiches on a crusty baguette.

20. Beer onions BBQ sauce carrots

21. I´ve been using Norene Gilletz´s recipe called Ginger-ale brisket. The sauce is made with apricot jam, ketchup, gingerale, onions and mixing together onion soup mix and mushroom soup mix. It´s always tender!

22. Your food pictures make me salivate!

23. Dave Giaimo says:

I like it with a dry rub using the recipe my friend David Mitchell gave me some years back.

24. 1 pkg. Lipton Onion Soup mix added to 3/4 cups of cooking sherry. Set plenty of heavy duty foil in a large baking dish. Place brisket on foil, pour sherry/soup mixture on top of brisket. Pull up all sides of the foil and seal completely in a loose tent. (To prevent leakage). Cook at 225 for 8 hours. The smell is intoxicating while it´s cooking!!! Approx 4 lb. Brisket.

25. Erbe Weir says:

This sounds like a combination from the Caribbean! Jamaica, to be specific…

26. I smoke it in my smoker

27. harry king says:

5-7 lbs of brisket, 5 large onions, 6 garlic cloves, 6 carrots, 1 bottle of Guinness, two table spoons of apple cider vinegar,salt, pepper, 5 russet potatoes cut in large chunks
    put oven on very high,sear brisket in large oven proof pot, add onions and garlic, stir for a bit, add Guinness and vinegar, salt and pepper, put lid on pot and put into oven, after about 10 minutes turn oven down to 330 and cook for three and a half hours. Take out of the oven and add potatoes and carrots, lid back on return to the oven for an hour and a half.
    Take out of the oven and put a sharp knife through the meat, should slide in nicely, let sit for about 15 minutes, serve, mmmmmmmmm

• Diana Roper says:

My daughter and future son-in-law went to Ireland last year and came back raving about the cooking with guinness they experienced. I am going to cook your recipe up for them this week as a surprise and watch for the reaction. Thank you for sharing.

28. Paul McCool says:

Dry rubbed and into the smoker…

29. Ruth Okon says:

Onions garlic & cab-Sauvignon. Makes a luscious gravy.

30. mmmmm brisket!!! so good so comforting!

31. This sounds mouth watering delicious. I will have to make it very soon.

32. Never made a brisket before!

33. Whole cranberry sauce mixed with a packet of onion-mushroom soup mix and half a can of water, poured over the brisket, cover and roast at 325 for 3+ hours. Our family´s favorite!

34. Yum yum yum I like mine Texas barbecue style

35. 1 cup ginger ale, 1 cup ketchup! Simple and easy. Cook covered for at least 3 hours. YUM

36. Don Kuhn says:

I like it rubbed with salt and pepper, then packed in a kind of thin coat of brown sugar, then covered with dry mustard… cooked on a bed of chopped onions and carrots, with a bit of beef broth (enough to come up 1/3 of the way of the beef). Low and slow… 275 degrees for about 6 hours. It´s to die for!

37. It´s from my grandmother´s kitchen. We always called it “beans and meat”. Cooked real slow with Lima beans, onion, brown sugar, ketchup and enough water to get the beans cooked.

38. Jerry Newman says:

Jerry’s Famous Brisket
    (My mother’s recipe with my own little touch)

1 Whole Brisket of beef (about 7-8 lbs) with a thin layer of fat left on top.
    2 – 3 medium yellow onions, pealed and sliced into 1/8 -1/4 inch slices
    1 bottle good beer or ale
    2 – 15 oz canned stewed tomatoes (or better yet stew your own)
    A layer of garlic powder on the brisket
    Black & white pepper to taste
    A layer of paprika (real Hungarian Paprika is best)

Note: For best results make the day before and let sit in the refrigerator!
    • Have the butcher remove most of the fat including the fat between the layers on the point, leaving a very thin layer on the top.
    • Turn the oven on to at least 500 degrees to preheat.
    • Slice one onion and put the slices on the bottom of a covered roaster. Add one can of the stewed tomatoes. Place the brisket on top of the tomatoes and onions, season with a lot of garlic powder and paprika, and some black and white pepper. You can add some salt if you don’t have high blood pressure.
    • Place the roaster with the meat, onion and stewed tomatoes in the oven for about 15 minutes.
    • Remove the roaster and turn the oven down to 350 degrees. Place a layer of sliced onions on the meat; add one can of stewed tomatoes and a half bottle or can of beer.) Drink the rest of the beer (unless you have a drinking problem). Cover tightly and cook at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes a pound or until just tender when pierced with a fork.
    • Remove from the oven and place the meat on a cutting board. Pour the gravy into a tall container (you may want to separate the onion and tomatoes), cover the gravy and chill separate from the meat.
    • Let the meat cool for 1 to 2 hours and then slice against the grain. Keep noshing to a minimum. Trim off any excess fat at this time. Place in refrigerator.
    • About one to two hours before serving, remove the meat from the refrigerator, skim the solid fat from the gravy and add to the sliced meat up to about half way up. Add the onions and tomatoes. You can add quartered potatoes. Cover and reheat for about 1 to 1 ½ hours at 350 degrees. Transfer to serving plate and enjoy. You may want to serve the gravy, either plain or thickened, on the side.

Leftovers can be kept 3-4 days in the refrigerator. It freezes well.