Fig Tree in My Front Yard

Fig Tree in my Front Yard

I have a big, beautiful fig tree in my front yard that is teeming with fresh fruit right now. When the figs first started appearing about a month ago, a squirrel living in our yard would devour the ripe ones before I had a chance to pick them. Now that we’re in the thick of fig season, the squirrel can’t keep up, and there is plenty of fruit to go around.

Fig Tree in my Front Yard

Fresh figs, when fully ripe, are like candy to me. They’re sweet and juicy and honey-like, not to mention incredibly beautiful. In the past I’ve stuffed them, topped warm gooey cheese with them, grilled them, made jams with them and sprinkled them on salads. Now I’m looking for more yummy ideas.

What are your favorite ways to prepare fresh figs? Do you prefer them raw or cooked? Please share your ideas in the comments below!

Category: At Home with Tori, Tori's Corner

1. I Mom and Grandma use to make the most delicios candied figs, and spiced figs. We always saved the spiced figs for Holiday meals. MMMMMMMmmm

2. Marsha Roos says:

A gluten free fig cookie of some kind, please!

3. Lori Bianchi says:

OH THE MEMORIES! My grandfather actually grew in very large fruit bearing fig tree in his MICHIGAN greenhouse (unheard of!) so I grew up eating figs…the land was eventually sold and the greenhouse fig tree an all were demolished by the new buyer. I will never again take this lovely fruit for granted (in the Midwest it comes along infrequently and can be pricey) CHERISH each savory bite…and ENJOY.

4. Gigi Mac says:

yum! makes me think of that song about the fig tree! “…a bokserboym, a faygnboym, a mandlboym…”

5. Do you have a dehydrator? Use them in winter cooking.

6. Oh my gosh, I haven´t seen one of these since I was a kid. We had one in our backyard.

7. We had this at a party a few years ago, and our group of friends has been obsessed ever since. The mascarpone and honey are amazing with fresh figs! No one can resist this as an appetizer. Not even my husband, who *says* he dislikes figs. link to wholeliving.com

8. Laura says:

Hi!!
    2 cuts on the bottom crosslike but not till the top, fill with blue cheese (or any other you like) and roast them on a hot pan.

9. I make a great fig and balsamic sauce.

10. <3 Figs... I miss having a garden to walk in and pick fresh herbs or fruits... its been over ten yrs though...

11. mine is doing well to. I need a recipe to dry them

12. I once had a caramelised fig and blue cheese tart and omg soooooo delish!

13. fig and ginger chutney – reminds me fall

14. I love them fresh off the tree!

15. Alene Wright says:

Beautiful tree and lucky for you, the harvest. If you can put together fig preserves the way they are in France, I´d be delighted.

16. My all time favorite way of fixing figs is to butterfly them and stuff them with a teaspoon of gorgonzola and a walnut, close, wrap in prosciutto and bake until sizzly, about 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees.

17. one of my favorite fruits!

18. Fresh Figs! I would say just eat as many as you can stand right out of hand! no fuss required

19. Nice fig tree It´s delish cristalices in sugar

20. Jane Dusek says:

Fig “newton” cookies!

21. I have lost 2 adult fig trees, over the last 44 years, to hard freezes, in Texas. I also had to beat the birds to the figs before they were fully grown. Enjoy yours while you can!

22. Pia Casarino says:

Roast pork with figs

23. we had too many from Costco and I made bread, it was awesome

24. I made fig jam (when I was younger and doing all my canning) it is just wonderful

25. I have one fig exactly one fig….

26. Send me some I like them just the way they are.

27. AnnaCarina says:

Well, this is far too sweet for me but perhaps you’d like to try it? They’re a popular dessert both in Colombia and Peru:
    link to mycolombianrecipes.com

Otherwise I’m thinking… squirrel and fig casserole? >:-)

28. Fig Gelato .. with or without nuts. It´s to die for!!!

29. Rita Davis says:

I just love figs fresh! They are also good with Brie!!

30. Jen Jenks says:

Grilled figs with bleu cheese and honey!!

31. Can´t beat fresh figs, brie and crosstini on a plate.

32. I actually need some good fig rrecipes. We don´t get very good fresh figs in Pennsylvania but I´d like to try some.

33. Pinch them off the bush n bite in.

34. vegan ice cream, no sugar added popsicles

35. Tara says:

There is a great recipe that I have. It is not kosher, but delicious. Stuff the fig with goat cheese and wrap the fig in proscuitto and roast. The outside is crispy and delicious and the inside is gooey and sweet!

36. daniel says:

would you like to trade some fig tree branch cuttings? if so please email me at ediblelandscaping.sc@gmail.com I have several varieties and would be happy to trade a few 6-8 inch cuttings with you

37. Eugene says:

Sure, I will exchange cuttings with any Fig’s lover…