Fig Tree in My Front Yard

Fig Tree in my Front Yard

I have a big, beautiful fig tree in my front yard that is teeming with fresh fruit right now. When the figs first started appearing about a month ago, a squirrel living in our yard would devour the ripe ones before I had a chance to pick them. Now that we’re in the thick of fig season, the squirrel can’t keep up, and there is plenty of fruit to go around.

Fig Tree in my Front Yard

Fresh figs, when fully ripe, are like candy to me. They’re sweet and juicy and honey-like, not to mention incredibly beautiful. In the past I’ve stuffed them, topped warm gooey cheese with them, grilled them, made jams with them and sprinkled them on salads. Now I’m looking for more yummy ideas.

What are your favorite ways to prepare fresh figs? Do you prefer them raw or cooked? Please share your ideas in the comments below!

Category: At Home with Tori, Tori's Corner

1. Believe it or not, I was thinking of you this afternoon when I made kale salad…I found a bottle of fig infused balsamic vinegar, so I used olive oil, the vinegar, salt/pepper, pecans and fresh figs. Suffice it to say, it will be on the Rosh Hashana menu–it was amazing. And you are the shiksa that started it all…with a much needed olive oil massage!!! Thanks for the all your helpful tips; you have brought the adventure back to our kitchen and for that I will be forever grateful <3

2. poached figs with mascarpone stuffing!!!!!

3. I went to an italian restaurant the other night that had fig, prosciutto, and balsamic vinegar bruschetta. I wasn´t fond of the prosciutto, but it seemed like a good idea.

4. P.a. Toller says:

Pizza is also good with brie, add figs and arugula, after baking the dough…prosciutto may also be added for those who wish.

5. I do leave some figs on for the birds to eat…that way I get most of them and they get a few.

6. there is nothing better than eating a ripe fig of of the tree, our neighbor used to give bags of them, they werent mission figs but some other kind.

7. Sure eat them right off the trees as i did in Italia!

8. Anything with figs! My bestie has the yellow ones.

9. A recipe for a fig chutney that lasts would be most appreciated. Here in Alexandria, VA, my husband and I are readying ourselves for the SECOND crop of figs from our tree in about 6 to 8 weeks. I did a variation of this: link to flickr.com. I stewed the figs. It was amazing.

10. Cut figs in half. Sprinkle with balsamic. Add a dollop of goat cheese and a twist of prosciutto. They go quickly like deviled eggs.

11. Love fresh picked figs right off my tree.

12. Hezakiah says:

Try soaking them in a decent brandy for a few days after poking holes with a needle to let it soak in really well.

Then glaze with a sugar cookie glaze that gets hard like rock candy.
    1 cup confectioners’ sugar
    1 tablespoon light corn syrup
    2 tablespoons water
    Stir confectioners’ sugar, corn syrup, and water together.This glaze must be stirred each time you use it. If it is not stirred before each use it will dry with a mottled look instead of clear.
    Serve with vanilla ice cream or a parve sorbet

13. I love mine just as they´re grown , with some goat cheese and pieces of lavosh or pita drizzled with olive oil and rubbed with fresh oregano

14. you could send some this way :)

15. Just like to eat them.

16. Alan says:

Fig Upside Down cake!
    My favorite way to use fresh figs.
    link to italianfood.about.com

17. You are so luky to have one

18. Kyre Adept says:

Fig and ginger refrigerator jam! Fig and maple gelato! Figs grilled with sharp cheese!

19. Terry Penna says:

I once had frog preserves-fig, raspberry, orange and ginger. Haven´t found it since. Would love to know how to prepare it.

20. Tricia Steck says:

Whole wheat fig white pizza with goat cheese & olive oil.

21. Brie cheese with figs, pecans, and honey

22. Mine are still babies. Only a foot or 2 high!

23. Nettie Snape says:

Fig jam…..on freshly baked bread with Cornish butter, a meal fit for the Gods!

24. I also use this recipe from FOOD and WINE :

25. Fig Jam

Ingredients:
    2 pounds green or purple figs, stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup water

Directions:

In a large, nonreactive saucepan, toss the fig pieces with the sugar and let stand, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, until the sugar is mostly dissolved and the figs are juicy.

Add the lemon juice and water and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. Simmer the fig jam over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is soft and the liquid runs off the side of a spoon in thick, heavy drops, about 20 minutes.

Spoon the jam into three 1/2-pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch of space at the top. Close the jars and let cool to room temperature. Store the jam in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.

Variation: Substitute 1/2 cup of white port for the water and add one 4-inch sprig of rosemary with the lemon juice; discard the rosemary before jarring.

Makes three, 1/2 pint jars.

26. Angel Kania says:

Tori have you ever had fig beef jerky? It is fabulous!

27. My favorite recipe in the whole world for figs…..pick them at just right time…..place in a box with tissue paper dividers….close box up securely and ship them to Sherry Alexander in Adkins TX (giggle,giggle) ;)

28. Angela Burch says:

Oh Fig jam is my all time favorite!!!

29. you are so lucky!! Figs don´t grow in New York that I ever see.

30. Did fresh figs cut in half with dried ricotta cheese wrapped in Italian dried ham and drizzled with fig balsamic vinegar so yummy everyone enjed them!

31. Grandma used to make fig preserves – yum!

32. Ellen Tabor says:

sliced with goat cheese (the kind in the log works well; not feta) drizzled with honey and maybe a sprig of rosemary or thyme…the best dessert in the world.

33. OMG!!! I love figs!!!!!!!

34. I like some fresh figs on a plate with a nice, mild to sharp cheese and some crackers. Can do for breakfast, snack or lunch.

35. Best to make preserves first and then use them in a recipe, since they won´t all last long. You can amass a lot in the fridge and then commit to making preserves.

36. Phil Trupp says:

Dear Shiksa, I´m fond of fig spreads with a side of goat cheese.

37. reminds me of when i was young my grandfather had a fig tree and I used to pick the figs off the tree and eat them. those were the days!

38. Nancy Marie says:

How about mini fig tarts or Honey- and Goat Cheese-Filled Fig Muffins?

39. Had a fig tree when I was growing up in No. Hollywood, CA. Wish I had one now.

40. My Mom loves them wish I had a fig tree Your lucky!

41. Your recipes are divine so whatever you post, we will love and appreciate.

42. Mousa Shaya says:

Nothing like fresh and so sweet figs:)

43. patricia campbell says:

had a rustic fig bread(reminded me of Italian_ in Califoronia. Don’t love figs but loved this bread.

44. I have two small fig trees that I bought earlier this Spring. I will keep them in pots in my library during Winter but leave them outside all Summer. Do you do anything to them? I love fresh figs!

45. Grilled figs with just about anything! Lol

46. Figs have been one of my favorite foods since I was very young. I simply ADORE them. Fresh, dried, pickled, brandied, even “Newtons”. The only thing I haven´t tried is the…well…”clothing” options!

47. I just want to see some fresh figs somewhere around here!!