Fig Tree in My Front Yard

Fig Tree in my Front Yard

I have a big, beautiful fig tree in my front yard that is teeming with fresh fruit right now. When the figs first started appearing about a month ago, a squirrel living in our yard would devour the ripe ones before I had a chance to pick them. Now that we’re in the thick of fig season, the squirrel can’t keep up, and there is plenty of fruit to go around.

Fig Tree in my Front Yard

Fresh figs, when fully ripe, are like candy to me. They’re sweet and juicy and honey-like, not to mention incredibly beautiful. In the past I’ve stuffed them, topped warm gooey cheese with them, grilled them, made jams with them and sprinkled them on salads. Now I’m looking for more yummy ideas.

What are your favorite ways to prepare fresh figs? Do you prefer them raw or cooked? Please share your ideas in the comments below!

Category: At Home with Tori, Tori's Corner

1. Elizabeth says:

Contact: FoodForward.org. 818-530-4125

They will harvest your fruit and donate it to local agencies serving the needy. So many people leave delicious fruit to rot on their trees, but they can call this organization and they will pick and donate. It’s also tax deductible.

2. Mbd says:

What about in a pastry, something like a homemade fig newton?

3. Marsha says:

I like to make homemade fig jam, like Dalmatia, that is found in stores. It is great served with a soft cheese like brie and crackers. They are several recipes available online for making fig jam in the microwave. Stores well in the refrigerator!

4. anny says:

how about a variation on a caprese salad, with fig and water mozzarella, honey, or evoo and black pepper.

5. Dorothy says:

My mother would cook a big pot of figs in a sugar syrup with several lemons sliced thin. We would eat the figs on toast (like jam), and the syrup was good on French toast. The lemons were good too, but I don’t remember doing anything with them, just eating them along with the figs. She would also make fig bread with the cooked figs.

6. nicholas amedure says:

i cut them in half put them in brandy overnite and dehrydrate them in my dehrydrater they come great stay a long time, ihave 3 trees and i use them all,except the ones the birds get, also make fig bars and jam

7. Beverly says:

Rustic tart : Butter pie crust rolled out on parchement paper on cookie sheet then layered with sliced figs, dots of ricotta cheese sweetened with some honey & thyme; fold over dough towards center, brush with egg wash and sprinkle some sugar over egg wash and bake 400 degrees about 45 min or til golden. Yummmm.

8. Nurit says:

We were in Israel this summer and had a really delicious pizza with figs and goat cheese on it. Maybe some onions too but not sure. Anyway, it was amazing!

9. Mashugana says:

Instead of oatmeal raison cookies……….oatmeal fig cookies? I have the magic bullet juicer and my goodness, the taste of figs in a drink, delicious 0-)
    How about cut of figs, in an apple pie?
    Europeans add plums to their turkey’s when they bake them, so how about figs baked in the turkey.
    ME…………I would eat it straight up aka plain!

10. laura says:

– Dry them. Use them all winter.
    link to cals.uidaho.edu

– Appetizer: Halve, fill with a soft fresh cheese or chèvre

– Pair with another fruit and make jam…fig+peach

11. Helene says:

A few years ago, I actually googled “fig honey cake bread pudding” and found a recipe on the internet. I thought it made a nice Rosh Hashana dessert, though I ended up being the only one eating it! :P You could always dry them.

12. Brenda says:

A friend recently served chocolate dipped figs. Delicious!

13. Aliza Fried says:

I was meaning to prepare this recipe, but instead of making the pastry, just buying ready made puff pastry. Haven’t done it yet, but maybe you would like to try or transform this one.
    I found it in mostlyfoodstuffs.blogspot.com

link to mostlyfoodstuffs.blogspot.com

Tori, I love your recipes!,
    Aliza

Thanks Aliza! I edited your comment to link to the original source of the recipe (rather than copy/paste), so that the blogger gets traffic from others who might be interested. Sounds like a great idea!

14. Dianne says:

Borrow someone’s dehydrator and dry your figs. You can wrap and store them for use over winter. In Melbourne we have local food swaps – no money changes hands, just produce!

• kathi corbett says:

I live in Edgewater and my Mom has a hugh fig tree.But I still cant figure out how to store them for cold season ( they call winter)lol I tryed freezing them in ziplock but didnt work any suggestions would be great lots of figs I cant waste them again.thank you Kathi

15. Karen says:

The best possible thing you can do with extra figs is send them to me. I love fresh figs :-)

16. Michelle says:

Years ago I used to bake them in balsamic vinegar and the balsamic would reduce down and the figs would carmelize. Heaven! Then I would spread goat cheese on thinly sliced baguette and top with the caramelized balsamic figs. It was divine! Why on earth did I stop making them? I’m going to try it again this week. Mmmmmm

17. Linda Martin says:

We moved to a house with a mission fig tree in Feb. The 1st crop was not great, but the 2nd crop…WOW! We are getting 15-20 (sometimes more) a day. We eat them…a lot. Several of them are already like jam-so good on toast or Almond Butter. But I just made this recipe today: link to curtsdelectables.blogspot.com
    It’s very yummy. Since I don’t use shortening, I used refined coconut oil and that worked well. It’s really moist (and I didn’t peel the figs).
    I’m thinking about trying this for Rosh Hashanah:
    link to yummly.com
    If you google fresh fig recipes, you will get a ton of them. Also there is this site: link to californiafigs.com
    They have a lot of recipes and you can specify fresh or dried.
    Good luck…I’d love to know if you find any you like. :)

Linda

18. Lola says:

I’d try a spin on stuffed dates. Stuff the figs with blue cheese or an almond (for crunch), then wrap with turkey bacon and grill or sauté in olive oil!

19. Barb Kirch says:

My husband makes a spectacular fig, goat cheese and carmelized gluten free pizza for me on the grill!

20. Laurie says:

Matiz (sp?) bread
    Olive & fig tapenade
    Stuffed figs…
    Love those little guys. My tree is too young still to give forth :(

21. Marnie Schwartz says:

I love fresh figs with goat cheese. I eat them raw, broiled, baked, etc. The tart Beverly mentioned would also be good with goat cheese. I never had a fresh fig until I moved to CA and I now have a tree!

22. How about homemade fig cookies ?

23. We are from Fresno and now in Boise. We miss your “problem” so very much.

24. Maybe a fig and Gorgonzola salad

25. Mishaal Shah says:

I´ve always been a fan of anything with poached figs.

26. a pizza with fig carmelized onions and goat cheese..a fav over here

27. Figs cut in 1/2 and wrapped in Proscuitto (?), then baked in the oven until warmed thru and drizzled with honey !! OH YEA !!

28. My father had figs like theses in his yard! My mom would make figgy cakes for the holidays! Fresh figs taste so goog!

29. fig preserves with lemon rind. my fav.

30. Chuck Morse says:

fig bread and fig cake

31. Alix Furer says:

Fig infused vodka!!!

32. Claudia says:

Fig goat cheese pizza sounds so good!

33. Salads, sauces, many stuffings. We had both the green/yellow and purple/mission groves in CA. You could dehydrate them too.

34. Shari Marks says:

Gil Marks made us fig jam for Rosh Hashana when we had a fig tree in our yard

35. I have a fig tree in PA. So excited to see figs growing can wait to eat the,.

36. Cheryl D Lee says:

I made a really good fig compote. It´s on the blog if you want to see the recipe. link to blackgirlchefswhites.com

37. Mary Reale says:

Here´s my favorite fig recipe: Cold, clean, and in my mouth!!! Nom nom nom…

38. Fig scones or fig and Brie stuffed puff pastries.