Persian Pomegranate Mocktail

Persian Pomegranate Mocktail on TheShiksa.com #drink #recipe

I went on strike this week, mentally. I said no to obligations. I didn’t work out. I gave the bare-minimum effort on all work-related projects. No blog photography, no recipe development. When I cooked it was purely for the joy of cooking, without any thought to a resulting blog post. Over the weekend I read Mario Puzo’s The Godfather, then I watched the movie for the first time with my family (wow is all I can say about that!). We cracked open a great bottle of red wine that we’ve been saving for a special occasion. I daydreamed about a novel I started a few years ago, before I began writing this blog. Last night, I felt like eating macaroni and cheese and watching Game of Thrones, so I did. I could have cleaned my desk. I could have gotten a head start on my next writing deadline. I could have finished reading that research book I checked out at the library. I could have answered all of those emails and comments and questions waiting in my inbox. Instead, I indulged on creamy cheesy pasta and caught up with Khaleesi.

I think sometimes we just need to pause and breathe and be in the moment. It’s really tough to commit to taking a break, especially with work piling up, family obligations, and multiple deadlines breathing down your neck. Once in a while, we have to force ourselves not to care. I’m not talking about a vacation where you travel– I mean a mental vacation. Do you ever have those weeks?

I’m feeling back to normal today. I got an early start on the work day. I cleaned my desk, had a healthy smoothie for breakfast, put on my workout clothes (whether I actually work out or not remains to be seen… fingers crossed!). I also photographed this sweet, tart and tasty Persian-inspired Pomegranate Mocktail, a result of my mental vacation kitchen experimentation. I’m keeping this one non-alcoholic and family friendly, but if you add a splash of vodka I won’t judge. It is Friday, after all. TGIF, Shabbat Shalom, L’chaim!

Persian Pomegranate Mocktail

• 2 cups pomegranate juice
  • 2 cups ice cubes, or more if needed
  • 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 1 tbsp orange blossom water
  • Sweetener to taste - I use stevia, you can use sugar or agave if you prefer
Total Time: 5 Minutes
Servings: 2
  • Combine the pomegranate juice, ice cubes, lime juice and orange blossom water in a blender and blend till smooth. Continue to add ice and blend till the texture seems slushy and right (you want a texture similar to a margarita). Add sweetener to taste and blend again. Pour into chilled margarita glasses and serve.

Category: Beverages, Gluten Free, In the Kitchen, Nut Free, Pareve, Passover - Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Sephardic, Passover - Sephardic, Passover - Vegan Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegan Sephardic, Passover - Vegetarian Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegetarian Sephardic, Recipes, Slide Show, Tomato Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

1. Ooh my..that DOES look nice. But it´s off to work I go….perhaps when I get home tonight!! And YES, it´s been a VERY LONG week.

2. Robin Becker says:

That works for me! I think the moon and stars were out of alignment this week!

3. Paul McCool says:

Sounds good, but I´ve been on a Paloma kick, this week…

4. You need more “mental vacations”; you work too darn hard! But we appreciate your efforts!

5. This sounds like an absolute delight!

6. Thank you for sharing a delicious, fancy-pants style mocktail!! I don´t drink, but I want to have a fun, summer beverage, too!! :) Love your blog and recipes!!!

7. Phil Trupp says:

It looks super good, Shiksa. Do something nice for yourself and add that splash of “bodki,” as grandfather Yosel used to say.

8. Cliff Lubin says:

Sounds great, but after the week I´ve had my thinking is more in line with a tidal wave of vodka as opposed to a splash ;)

9. It´s been a lousy week!

10. What a pretty shade of red!

11. Yummy cheers to you and peace be with you!

12. It´s been real, that´s for sure. Thankful for the Sabbath!

13. Helen Burton says:

Toda. Finally a drink for those that do not use alcohol.

14. Alice Ann Hengesbach says:

On the plus side my heart is still beating … awesome event for all of us. And, as a person who does not drink alcohol of any kind … thank for a grown-up non-alcoholic drink!! Any suggestions on were to find orange blossom water? Shabat shalom.

15. Ellen Hutchinson says:

Thanks for the non- alcoholic and pretty cocktail. Will try it next week.

16. KJ says:

Sounds delicious!! Has anyone tried this mocktail? What would one use to turn this into an “adult drink”? Thanks for your responses.

Hi KJ, Tori here (obviously I’ve tried it since it’s my recipe). :) I would recommend adding 2 ounces of vodka (or even better citrus vodka!) and 1 ounce of triple sec before blending, then sweeten to taste. Enjoy!

17. sasha says:

oh, we love this juice. we have a manual presser like they use in Istanbul for instant fresh squeezing. it’s genius.
    we usually drink it straight up, without adding anything else to it. it has tonz of vitamin C. :)

18. leila says:

love your blog,and every thing that you cook.
    need to ask a question,i am going to be a full time rv and woud love to know wich company do you use for your blog,thank’s
    i am not sure where to started looking for

I’m not sure what you mean by company… do you mean blog design? It was designed by Heather Sanders, but I do all of the writing, recipe development and photography. My blog runs on a platform called WordPress, if that helps.