How to Make Almond Milk

How to Make Almond Milk on TheShiksa.com #recipe #cooking #tutorial

In response to your requests, I will be covering how to make several different non-dairy milks over the next few months. This week I’m sharing how to make almond milk,  which is probably the most popular nut milk out there. Sure, you can buy almond milk at the store, but making it yourself at home ensures that the milk is raw and full of its optimal nutritional power. When you make it at home, you also have total control over the ingredients. I don’t know about you, but I prefer knowing exactly what is going into my food… and subsequently into my family’s bellies!

Almond milk, in its most basic form, is made from filtered water and almonds. It’s a non-dairy milk, which means it contains no lactose. Almond milk is easily digested by most folks who are lactose intolerant (except for those who have a nut allergy… I’ll have an option for you coming up in a future post!). Because you’re making it at home, you have total control over the flavor– the sweetness level, the texture, the fat content and the overall taste. For those who keep kosher, it’s a terrific substitute for dairy milk in recipes that you would like to keep pareve. I prefer homemade nut milks to non-dairy creamers, which often contain chemicals and preservatives. No strange additives here!

Unlike dairy milk, almond milk is cholesterol free… in fact, consuming almond products on a regular basis can actually lower your LDL-cholesterol. Almonds are rich in monounsaturated fats, the same type of “good fats” that can be found in olive oil. These types of fats have been associated with a reduced risk of heart disease. Almonds are also a rich source of Vitamin E, magnesium and potassium.

In its pure unsweetened form, almond milk makes a fine substitute for plain milk. When using it on cereal or in my tea, I like to give it a touch of sweetness (throwing a whole date into the blender works great, or use honey, stevia or agave nectar). Adding a little vanilla and salt rounds out the flavor. Depending on what you plan to use your almond milk for, you can experiment and adjust the ingredients to taste. A nut bag will help you strain the milk to achieve a thin, grit-free texture; if you don’t have one and don’t want to order one, a fine mesh strainer, clean tea towel or multiple layers of cheesecloth will work just dandy.

Recommended Products

Blender

Note: Any purchase you make from The Shiksa Market helps to support my website, my recipes, and the free content I provide. If you have an Amazon login, it’s even easier to make a purchase. Thanks for browsing!

How to Make Almond Milk

• 1 cup raw unsalted almonds, skin-on
  • 4 cups filtered water, plus more water for soaking almonds
  • 1 1/2 tsp honey or agave nectar, or one whole pitted date (optional)
  • Dash of salt (optional)

• Blender or food processor, fine mesh strainer or nut bag or clean tea towel or cheesecloth, 1 quart glass jar or storage container
Prep Time: 12 - 48 Hours
Total Time: 12:05 - 8 Hours 5 Minutes
Servings: About 1 quart almond milk
  • Place raw almonds in a bowl and cover with cold water. Allow to soak overnight up to 48 hours, then drain and rinse. If soaking longer than overnight, change the cold soaking water every 12 hours.
  • After soaking, drain and rinse the almonds. Do not peel the almonds; according to my recipe testing, keeping the skins on actually helps to reduce the grittiness of the almond milk (counter intuitive, I know!). Combine soaked almonds and 4 cups of filtered water in a blender.
  • For a whole milk texture, I use 4 cups of water to 1 cup almonds. For a thinner texture, feel free to add more water-- you can adjust the texture to taste. The more water you add, the lower in fat the milk will be per serving; however, you don't want to add too much liquid or it will turn watery. Best to add water in small batches till the texture seems right to you.
  • Blend on low, then slowly raise the speed to high for 1-2 minutes till the milk is completely smooth and no chunks of nuts remain. If desired, add sweetener, vanilla and/or salt to taste, then blend again to combine (if using a date, make sure you blend till it's completely pulverized). Feel free to adjust the sweetness to taste.
  • Strain milk through a fine mesh strainer, tea towel, cheesecloth or nut bag into a storage container. A nut bag will work best for keeping your milk smooth and chunk-free. I usually strain the milk into a quart mason jar, which works perfectly with the 4 cup to 1 cup ratio of water to almonds.
  • If using a mesh strainer, you will need to agitate the solids a bit to help all the milk drip through. I don't scrape them (this can push the solids through the strainer), but I do gently stir and move the solids around to make room for the liquid to come through. Similarly, if using a nut bag, you will need to gently squeeze the bag till all of the milk seeps through.
  • Transfer milk to the refrigerator and chill thoroughly. It should keep for 3-4 days if refrigerated. I usually shake mine a bit before pouring to make sure it's well blended.
  • Once you're finished straining the milk, you will have a small amount of almond solids left. These can be discarded or dehydrated into almond meal and used as a gluten free breading for fish or chicken or mixed into baked goods. To do this, first adjust your oven to the lowest heat setting. Place the leftover almond solids in a mesh strainer for about 30 minutes to allow any remaining liquid to drain off.
  • With a rubber spatula, spread the solids as thinly as possible onto a baking pan lined with parchment or a silicone baking sheet. Place in the oven at 200 degrees.
  • Allow the paste to dehydrate for a few hours up to overnight. Check every couple of hours; when the meal hardens into a dry sheet, it's finished.
  • Break up the dehydrated paste and pulverize using a food processor for 1-2 minutes. You can also use a fork, but a food processor will give you a much finer grind.
  • You will be left with about ½ cup of almond meal.
  • Use almond milk anywhere you would use regular milk-- in coffee or tea, on cereal, or as a milk substitute in recipes.
  • How to Make Almond Milk on TheShiksa.com #recipe #cooking #tutorial
Like 1966 Retweet 45 Google +1 17

Category: Beverages, Cooking Tutorials, Gluten Free, Healthy, How To, In the Kitchen, Pareve, Passover, Passover - Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Sephardic, Passover - Sephardic, Passover - Vegan Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegan Sephardic, Passover - Vegetarian Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegetarian Sephardic, Recipes, Slide Show, Tomato Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

1. awesome. Thanks a lot

2. So excited to try this! thanks!

3. Love my almond milk. Thanks!

4. Liz Levit says:

Zoe Fox – for you…

5. Awesome,I need to try this!

6. Chari Sassin says:

Can´t wait to try

7. J. Comfort says:

Thanks,

Very easy and delicious.

J.

8. Michelle McCarthy says:

Can almond milk be used for mashed potatoes? Looking for a dairy free mashed potatoes. To use with meats

• Maria says:

I don’t see why not. I have used soy milk and it worked fine. I would not use it if you put in a sweetener or vanilla, unless you like vanilla flavored potatoes. :)

• Serina says:

Yes yes yes!! :-) yummyyy I have been using almond milk in mashed Potatos forever, and honestly you can’t notice the difference

9. it will be the most expensive milk to make at home. Considering that a pound of almonds costs more than $10

Depends on where you buy. I use the bulk bins at our local kosher market and 1 pound is far less than $10, but perhaps it’s because I live in California, where a lot of almonds are grown.

• Rose says:

spend a little bit more now for a healthy future… :-)

• Nina says:

Cheaper than quality cows milk. I can get raw organic unpasteurized almonds for ~$7-8/lb, and that easily makes me more than a gallon. Another money saving trick is to reuse the pulp for another batch (immediately) of almond milk.

• Mashugana says:

Nina – Could you please give the instructions for getting more milk out of the remains? Thanks

10. where can I purchase that bottle ?

11. I will try it thanks ! we are drinking almond milk now and we love it !. Actually just made chocolate pudding with it !

12. The “good” milk. Tres bon.

13. Lori says:

excellent recipe and perfect pictures. thank you!!

14. Marge says:

I use 2 ounces raw almonds to 3 cups water. Not willing to use more because the shelf life is not very long for almond milk and don’t want to have to waste too many almonds. I use it in coffee, oatmeal, yogurt fruit shakes, and popsicles. My current batch of popsicles I made with almond milk and the mash and it’s fantastic. (also peanut butter, banana, sugar, vanilla & almond & coffee extracts).

A 16-ounce bag of raw almonds at Trader Joe is $5. I get 24 cups of DIY almond milk from this. Each carton of Almond Breeze, $4, has 8 cups. So 24 cups is $4 x 3 = $12 compared to the $5 for the raw nuts. And there’s no carrageenan! And it takes no more than 10 minutes to make a 3-cup batch.

15. Mashugana says:

I purchase the 40 calorie almond milk and am hooked.
    One day I will venture to make it myself.
    I am afraid once I smell the delicious aroma from making it myself, I will be hooked 0-)

16. Marge says:

Mashugana: you will be hooked. It’s cheaper, just as good with no crap, and extremely easy & quick to do. I always bought the 40-calorie almond milk, too. Also, no packaging to clog up the landfills.

• Mashugana says:

Marge
      Thanks! You are correct, just read the label on the container and to much extra ingredients.
      I am on a certain plan that asks we use the 40 calorie, I have a holistic doctor and will call his office staff,
      Do you water it down or just do not care because it is good?

After making the almond milk, I will use the remains to make cookies or a yummy crust. I will not use it but the family will enjoy the cookies 0)

17. Marge says:

Mashugana,

[[ Do you water it down or just do not care because it is good? ]]

My recipe is 2 ounces almonds (which are soaked at least 24 hours with soaking water tossed) + 3 cups water. Compared with Tori’s recipe, yes, mine is watered down because hers is “1 cup raw unsalted almonds, skin-on + 4 cups filtered water,” a 1 to 4 ratio of nuts to water.
    2 ounces nuts (probably 1/4 cup of nuts) + 3 cups water, is more like 1 to 12 ratio of nuts to water. But comes out nice & white and has a bit of the almond aroma and is DELICIOUS in coffee.

18. Marjorie says:

I have been looking for this information, I love the almond milk. We have used it for a long time because it is low in carbs, I have lost 62 pounds and am not pre-diabetic anymore. My husband is on insulin and glimepride. His last A1C hemoglobin test is lower,also.

19. Mashugana says:

I went to my local Health Store but was concerned about where the almonds came from and they were extremely expensive.
    I went to Costco and they have the Almonds with the skin on three pounds for 13 or 14 dollars. Purchased two bags, and one woman who was shopping, heard my conversation with DH, and she will contact me.
    I will make two batches Marge and Tory’s versions.

• JenE says:

Does Costco carry the organic raw almonds? If so, I’m heading down there tomorrow!

• Mashugana says:

My Costco does not at this point have organic almonds, but have been adding plenty of new organics daily!
      Since, it is Costco, I will use their almonds because they have EXCELLENT quality control.
      I purchase powdered skim milk for a family member. The store chain I prefer not to mention, and the only one that has that consistency is organic. When mentioning to friends, they were so surprised.

20. Marge says:

2 ounces of raw almonds is more than 1/3 cup and less than 1/2 cup, so figure about 40% of a cup. So Tori’s I’m sure fabulous almond milk is a ratio of 1 part nuts to 4 parts water, mine is 1 part nuts to 10 (or so) parts water. As with anything that costs money, it’s a good exercise to see how low can we go and still enjoy. This works for me. Others I’m sure would find it watery.

21. Marge says:

Ugh, I have a run-on sentence. Wish I could edit. I’d like to state for the record that I know that 2 complete sentences need a period or semicolon separating them!

• Claudio says:

Marge: You mean between “water” and “mine”? It’s so good to find someone who knows how and when to use a semicolon… Seems a forgotten art; most people these days do not know what to do with a semicolon. In fact, you don’t see one often enough. All the best. (I’ll –lemme rephrase: “my wife will”) try both recipes…)

• marge201 says:

Yes, Claudio, that is exactly where I missed the end-of-sentence punctuation. Yes, a semicolon is a lost art but a more important lost art is knowing where a sentence ends. Run-on sentences are rampant.

I’m now off of almond milk and have hopped onto the unhulled organic sesame seed bandwagon. I throw them into everything. When I make milk, it’s sesame milk. Tons of calcium in the unhulled is the reason. Hoping it helps!

• Claudio Di Gregorio says:

Sesame milk, eh? It sure helps.
      This thread gets better and better.
      I found this link to brown and black sesame milk:
      link to poxacuatl.wordpress.com

Thanks

22. Iris Miller says:

I buy the California brand of almond milk and am happy to see your recipes for this as I don’t use it daily and hate to have a half gallon container go to waste.Sometimes I buy the unrefirgerated smaller box off the shelf, but it doesn’t last either. My question: If I use Tori’s recipe for almond milk that lasts 3-4 days, can it be frozen for future use? What happens to it after 4 days?Does it sour like milk? Is it harmful if swallowed after expiration? Is the nutritional value based on the amount of nuts used?

I’ve never frozen the milk Iris, I’m not sure! We go through it pretty quickly here so it doesn’t usually go bad unless we’re leaving on vacation or something. You will be able to tell when it goes bad; it sours quickly and thickens to a lumpy texture. I wouldn’t try it after expiration, since I’m not sure how safe it will be (or how your tummy will react!).

23. Aliece Dice says:

My leftover almond meal paste is still sitting on the baking sheet and is still gooey. It’s been 24 hours. What should I do to dehydrate it?? Any suggestions?

Hi Aliece! Try placing it in a 250 degree oven for 30-60 minutes. Keep a close eye to make sure it doesn’t get overly brown or burned.

24. Aliece Dice says:

Thank you! I will go try that now. The milk turned out great. I did need the nut milk bag strainer though as the milk was a bit gritty (or scratchy) as it was going down my throat. I have one ordered from amazon. I used a regular metal strainer/sifter. We use the milk for low calorie smoothies so a gritty milk is fine for now because you can’t tell but my stepson likes to drink it by itself so ill get the nut milk bag strainer so it is more like the kind you buy. Thanks for this post and idea!!

25. Arella says:

Absolutely love this. I’ve had issues finding kosher almond milk in my area and have lactose intolerant kids. Have you played around with additional calcium and vitamin D supplements with this recipe? Although almonds do contain some calcium, I’d like to sneak some more in.

26. Mashugana says:

Arella
    I would speak to your doctor about adding extra calcium or vitamin D. Vitamin D comes in drop form and one drop can be added to a glass of this almond milk. Calcium comes in liquid form and has a citrus taste and powder would change the texture of the almond milk.
    There are blood tests for adults and children that your doctor can order. Our veggies and other foods have plenty of calcium.

Thanks Mashugana! Arella I’ve never fortified the milk before but I know a lot of vegans do that, Google “fortify almond milk with calcium” and you should get several results. :)

27. Mashugana says:

I found an easier way to make the milk. I prepared as directed but this time used a large opened strainer. I placed it above a large opened pitcher where it leaned. Then I placed a brown paper coffee filter and poured the blend over it.
    Bonus, let gravity work! This time just had the fine dry almond waste which I threw out because it was such a small amount. LOVE EASY!
    BTW, I the draining in the sink and came back in a half an hour. Lazy is good 0-)
    Tori, I drink it plain with out vanilla or sugar, it is perfect for me, and thank you for your recipe!

28. sally says:

Thank you for the recipe.I have tried it but my milk does separate when it sits in the cooler, i get like whey on the top and cream in the buttom,and also when I tried to warm it,it curdeled and become chunky.would you please give any hints about what went wrong .I suspect the water may be I should have used a filtered one.

Hi Sally– I’m not exactly sure, but it sounds like you might be keeping the milk too long. It will only last a few days because it is raw almond milk. It is not pasteurized and does not have preservatives, unlike many almond milks sold at the supermarket. While it may settle a bit in the fridge (as all nut milks do), shaking it a bit should do the trick… that’s why all store-bought milks say to shake before pouring. That said, if it is gathering thick whey on top, it is likely spoiled… and it shouldn’t curdle when heated. If you think it might be spoiled after reading this, try making smaller batches and finish the milk within 3-4 days before spoilage occurs. I’m not sure the distilled water makes a big difference, but it might.

29. sally says:

Sorry, meant distilled water (I used a filtered water)

30. Mashugana says:

I use filtered water but when I have mine in the pitcher I leave a spatula in the pitcher and from day one blend it. I notice that mine has a little nut residue on the bottom but when I have purchased packaged nut milks, they always have a residue on the bottom, ESPECIALLY soy milk, yukko!
    I make the almond milk every other day, and it is delicious 0-)
    Tori’s recipe says to use almonds with the skin, could you be using the other kind?

31. sally says:

Thanks Tori for the tip, next time I will try to make a small batche.Yes,Mashugana, you’re right I used skinless almond, I was trying to get real white milk, lol.I guess that’s what messed up the whole recipe.I will try it again with skin and distilled water, and let you know if there is a difference.

32. reneeh63 says:

What is the purpose of discarding the soaking water…even multiple times? Doesn’t that further dilute the taste as well as the nutrient value?

Hi Renee– soaking the almonds releases enzyme-inhibitors and tannic acids which can be hard to digest. Discarding the water gets rid of those enzymes.

33. LB says:

I have frozen my homemade almond milk with no problem at all. I have a hard time going through it all on my own and I don’t like having to make it every 3 days.

34. marge201 says:

LB, thanks for saying that. I never thought of freezing it and yes, it’s a bit of a pain making it every few days. I will now have almond milk cubes too!

35. Rae says:

Very tasty as-is! I only use a splash of milk in my coffee (and no sweetener). So I will make half the recipe next time because I’m not sure I can use up the whole amount in three to four days. I can’t imagine throwing out all that lovely almond meal. It’s in the oven with the pilot light on. :)

• Selma says:

You can buy a tray that makes very small ice cubes which yo can fill up with almond milk and freeze. Just the right amount for using in coffee. Once you freeze them put cubes into freezer bag and use as needed.

36. Rose says:

Very delicious, indeed. I will use the flour more after I now know how to make it. Thank you! :-)

37. jenn says:

Hey, thanks for sharing this! I cant wait to try. As far as cost, anyone try looking at Target? I got a large jar of raw almonds for $3-4. I tried to measure it, and to the best I could tell,it was 6 cups. I’m going to try this tomorrow after soaking, and will have the added benefit of having a container to put the almond meal in when I’m done! Not sure if it is organic, but good for a start. Hope this helps someone :)

38. Diana says:

Thanks for the step-by-step. I use almond milk in my coffee. This recipe is great and I like to add a few drops of chocolate stevia to part for a treat of chocolate milk :) Thanks again, Diana

• Mashugana says:

Dianna

I love the choc stevia and add some coconut flavoring or milk and you have Almond Joy bar in a drink………..omg! Serious Delicious 0-)

39. Sam says:

Hi Tori, I will try it tomorrow. You are very generous to share your recipes. Everything sounds very good and your story is entertaining. You look very feminine.

Good luck with your cookbook Please let everyone know when it will be published.

40. Lyn says:

Brilliant! Thanks for this. I’m a Medical Herbalist, so am going to add some powdered ashwaganda (Withania somnifera) & honey – an old traditional relaxing/sleep remedy to take before bedtime. I haven’t tried it myself….yet :-)

41. Joy says:

Soaking grains, nuts, legumes and seeds helps remove the
    phytic acid which interferes with digestion and assimilation.
    Most of the phytic acid in almonds is in the skin so it’s best
    to blanch and remove the skins before making almond milk. Just pour boiling water over the almonds in a bowl or small
    pan. If the skins don’t come off easily….just heat the water
    to boiling again.
    Put a cup of beans in a one quart jar and add one tablespoon
    of apple cidar vinegar. Soak 18-24 hours. Soak nuts, etc. with
    diluted amounts depending on how much product you have.
    Rinse thoroughly. I found this on the internet. check it out.

• Mashugana says:

Joy
      You NEVER add an acid (apple cider vinegar) to beans. The acid makes the beans tuff. I make beans regularly and add the tomatoes (acid) at the end not to tuffen the beans). That is why cooks add paprika to the beans when cooking so it looks like tomatoes (serious).
      As for the almond milk, I have tried in the past to make the milk and it never worked since I used it with out the skins. I now make it every other day, the way listed here and it is perfect. I honestly do not understand why the skin on the almonds is the key. I do soak my almonds for 2 days vs Tori’s one day soak because I find that I get more milk.
      Crazy but this stuff works for me
      My own Mother in law, is still amazed how easy and fast I make the almond milk, and my almond joy almond milk version is beyond yummy. She is my tester for my newest nuttiness (excuse the pun) Chocolate mint cookie 0-)

42. Jerry says:

Hi, what other things I can use to make the milk? Can I use raw basil nuts, raw peanut?

43. Dale says:

When soaking the almonds in water do you refrigerate or not. And I like cream in my coffee can this be made a little thicker by not adding as much water to look more like cream. thanks

Hi Dale– I do not refrigerate when soaking, unless of course it’s a particularly hot day. Yes, you can vary the texture according to how much water you add, and you can make it quite thick if you like.

44. Dale says:

Wow thanks so much for the quick reply Tori. My husband and I have just recently found out we shouldn’t be eating any dairy so this has been quite a challenge for me since I love milk and cheese. But, because of people like you I’m finding lots of alternatives. Another quick question, can I use this almond milk in recipes that call for milk?

45. Marge says:

I have used my DIY almond milk for my popsicles. The original Mark Bittman recipe calls for milk so I used skim. Almond milk works great. Next I’ll try sesame milk and include the sesame mash in the mixture.

46. Dale says:

I made my first batch of almond milk this morning. Woohoo I’m having it in my coffee (which I always drank double cream and sugar) with Zylitol and it is actually really good. Now on to using it in some baking this weekend, wish me luck. (I put some in the freezer to see how well it freezes)

47. Hee-Jin says:

I recently started making my own almond milk after seeing and tasting Marin Living Foods’ raw almond milk at the Rainbow Grocery Co-op in the city but I could never get it to taste as good as theirs. Any tips?

Hee-Jin, I’ve never tried Marin Living Foods raw almond milk, but the raw almond milk recipe in this post is pretty tasty to me. Why don’t you try it and see what you think?

• Mashugana says:

Hee-Jin
      I just googled the almond milk that you discussed and even though they did not give the ingredients, they said shake
      So no stabilizers were added, I make my almond milk with out the dates as Tori does. If you start the plain version and then add water to get the same texture you can add in time the flavorings that are satisfactory to your taste
      I am the biggest fan of Tori’s recipe and find that I need to add more water for my taste. LOVE LOVE LOVE my almond milk and I do add versions of Chocolate, Almond Joy, PLain and Almond Coconut. If you use raw foods, stevia is allowed and I use the liquid form. I MAKE almond milk every two days and save the almond residue for baking for the husband.
      The most important thing for making the milk is to change the water when soaking the almonds. After making so many almond milk, I like soaking for 2 days and leave a load of almond soaking in the frig. I just change the water every day and then grab some and make the milk.
      After reading my post, yes, I love my almond milk!