Bubaleh

Bubaleh

I have rephotographed and reposted this recipe from my archives for the upcoming Passover holiday.

How cute is this recipe? Even the name is cute. “Bubaleh.”

My friend Etti Hadar shared this simple Passover recipe with me. Bubaleh is made with just four ingredients – matzo meal, egg, sugar and baking powder (plus a little oil for greasing the pan). It couldn’t be easier. Each batch makes one large bubaleh. It’s like a fluffy, eggy, chametz-free version of a pancake. Serve it on a pretty floral plate, and you’ve got a certifiably adorable breakfast, brunch, brinner or snack.

Curious about how baking powder could be kosher for Passover? This issue has been discussed at length on kosher websites across the web. Baking powder is mineral based, not grain based, and therefore it does not fall under the banner of “chametz,” the group of foods that are banned for Passover. There are, in fact, several brands of kosher for Passover baking powder. Some choose not to use baking powder because they feel it does not fit the “spirit” of the Passover holiday. Others have no problem using baking powder, as long as it has a kosher hechsher. Suffice it to say, the choice to use baking powder is a matter of tradition and preference. If you’re not comfortable using baking powder during the holiday, save this recipe to use up your leftover matzo meal after the Passover week is finished.

Top your bubaleh with maple syrup, like a traditional pancake, or get creative with your toppings. My friend Beth likes hers with Passover powdered sugar or sour cream. Sweet jam or fruit toppings like strawberry would be lovely, too. So cute, so yummy… what’s not to love?

Recommended Products

Matzo Meal

Nonstick Griddle

• 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp matzo meal
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • Nonstick cooking oil spray or vegetable oil to grease the pan

• Nonstick skillet or griddle
Total Time: 5 Minutes
Servings: 1
  • In a small bowl, whisk together the matzo meal, egg, sugar and baking powder until a yellow batter forms. Make sure the ingredients are well mixed.
  • Lightly grease a nonstick skillet; I recommend a medium or large skillet because the bubaleh will be easier to turn. Heat over medium till a drop of water sizzles on the surface. Pour the batter onto the hot skillet, forming a large circular pancake.
  • Let the bubeleh cook for about 2 minutes till bubbles rise and pop on the surface of the batter and the bottom is golden brown. Flip the bubaleh and continue cooking for another 2 minutes or so, till the bubaleh is cooked through and golden on both sides.
  • Serve with your choice of toppings-- maple syrup, KFP powdered sugar, butter, sour cream, or jam. Dairy toppings will make the dish dairy instead of pareve.

Category: Baked Goods and Brunch Fare, Breakfast, Entrees, In the Kitchen, Nut Free, Pareve, Passover - Ashkenazi, Passover - Sephardic, Passover - Vegetarian Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegetarian Sephardic, Recipes, Slide Show, Tomato Free, Vegetarian

1. B.D. says:

Passover pancakes are a great breakfast all year long.

2. JANETTE says:

THIS IS A GREAT RECIPE, LOVE THAT IT’S SO SIMPLE

3. I make a very similar pancake but use matza cake meal instead and I get something very close to a hametz pancake!

4. Liz says:

My mother and grandmother used to make bubbeleh with whipped up egg whites in a silver dollar size. They made the fluffiest little cakes. Special Sunday morning breakfast whether it was Pesach or not.

5. Foodprofessor says:

This is a great recipe and has been used in my home forever (I’m 61). The only problem is your service size. These are so delicious no one eats just one.

6. dee says:

i have been making them for years, but i make small ones and top with cinnamon sugar, but my dad grew up eating them with sour cream.

7. Elise says:

My husbands very favorite! I do them basically the same way, except I separate the eggs and beat the whites until stiff then fold them in. They are so light and fluffy when you do this. My husband’s grandmother used to own a deli
    and she taught me this trick. She was the best cook :)

8. Michelle Robinson says:

Somewhat off-topic, I’m so glad to know what a bubaleh is–it’s been a term of endearment that I picked up somewhere in my life, and I love it! I call my little boy, who is almost 1, my bubaleh, and he and my husband are (for whatever reason) my bublichki–my “little bagels”.

Bubaleh is a Yiddish word, you are correct that it is a term of endearment (similar to “darling” or “sweetie”). In Etti’s family this recipe picked up the nickname “bubaleh” at some point. I think it’s an awfully cute name for a pancake. :)

9. Oh yum!!! Several days into Pesach and my husband is antsy for something different. I’ll be adding these to my feast-day repertoire!

10. Arlene says:

I too whipped the egg whites and folded them in. Very light. Forgot about this recipe

11. What an easy and fantastic recipe! I’ll have to make this with my kids.

12. Rhonda says:

I’ve never heard of bubblah we called them motzah meal pancakes and my mom and grandma used to make huge amounts of small ones during passover and through the year. They also made motzah farfel pancakes and motzah brei. They were all either made sweet during the day OR salty for dinners with meat or chicken. Cant wait to get cookin, now you gave me an appitite for them….. Bubbulah ( a term of endearment)!!! Please excuse my poor spelling of these words, i am better at making them than spelling them :)

13. My kids are obsessed with pancakes, maybe if I make this they will forgive me for the absence of pasta during Passover…..

14. Judi says:

I love most of your recipies, but here you made a mistake.
    A BUBALEH is made with whipped egg whites…and the yolks are slowly folded in….no baking powder and a little matzo meal. It blows up on it’s own and you really need to use a second frying pan to turn it over…..what you have described is really a matzoh meal pancake.

Judi, I’m sure that your definition of a bubaleh is correct for your family, however for Etti’s family this dish has been called bubaleh for generations. Bubaleh is really a nickname, anyway, since the Yiddish word bubaleh doesn’t translate to any particular recipe… rather, it’s a term of endearment (similar to “darling” or “sweetie”). Different families have different ways of making brisket, kugel, and any number of dishes. In Etti’s family, this is now and will always be considered bubaleh. I’m sure that the whipped egg white version is delicious too, and I hope to try it soon. :)

15. Randy Galler says:

Love your recipes and the history behind them. These pancakes sound delicious and will definitely make them for Passover. I also love matzah Brie Do you have your own special recipe for that?

16. Shlomit Manson says:

Bubaleh is firmly planted amidst some of my most cherished childhood Passover memories. It was a staple on my mother’s breakfast table. However, never with baking powder. Not because the hechsher, but because traditionally you are not supposed to use anything that would make the dough rise or puff. At least in out tradition. Also, we were not familiar with pancake syrup at all so drizzling sugar on the bubaleh was the way to go.

Shlomit I have heard great things about your bubaleh from Beth… here’s hoping you will make it for me one day!! :)

• Susan says:

Judi , your recipe sounds exactly how my grandma made it . I’ve been looking for so long. Would you mind sharing your recipe for me please :-) thanks Susan

17. Shlomit Manson says:

PS: regarding the Bubaleh, I left a comment a few minutes ago – I forgot to mention that my mother would get the bubaleh to be fluffy by beating the egg whites until fairly stiff, with a small amount of sugar and fold in the other ingredients. Also she added a little vanila extract.

• marla says:

Okay, so THAT’s a real bubaleh! It’s more like a soufflé. Some of us like it mushier than others. You need a huge plate to slide the bubaleh onto once you’ve browned the first side. Then, you place the slightly reoiled pan over the plate and quickly (very quickly), you turn the bubaleh back over into the pan to brown the other side.

Who needs toppings? An unadulterated bubaleh is simply the best.

18. Mashugana says:

Thank you so much for this recipe. I am on a low carb diet, and this is perfect for one of my mini meals. As for the whipping of the egg whites, to much work! Sprinkled with some cinnamon with sugar or splenda…….HEAVEN!

I found a high fiber whole wheat matzoh, net carbs of seven, so this will be so great to make!

Sincere thanks!

19. jack baretti says:

you dont need baking powder we make ours with eggs and matzo mealand cinnamon dust with sugar after frying. we have ours with kiddush after coming back from shool

20. CarolRita says:

I am so thrilled to find a recipe for making a Bubaleh. For years my husband has raved about how his mother made him this dish for Pesach when he was a boy. Now that I have the recipe I will make it Pesach breakfast, alternating with matzo brei
    Thank you!

21. Ina says:

I love your website. I have made the salmon with Pom juice. I made bubaleh last night for dinner. It is very similar to matzah meal pancakes my mom used to make. I make them too. My friend Geraldine is a cousin to Donnie. When I saw the 2012 Seder I said I know someone who attended and loves going. She makes the gefilte fish. We make it together. It’s fun having someone to cook with. You can bet I will use your recipes.

22. Judi says:

Here you go Susan….it’s the way my mother made it for me and the way she learned from my Grandma…
    4 eggs-separated
    1/4 c milk
    2 tbs matzo meal and butter for frying ..usually takes a 9 inch pan…..beat the egg whites until stiff.set aside, beat the yolks until thick and add the matzo meal and gently fold into the whites..keep the flame medium and flip after 2-3 minutes..and voila!…enjoy.

23. Andi says:

Have you ever tried to make these with gluten free matzah meal? Or maybe almond meal?

I have not, Andi. Perhaps another reader has. I am pretty sure almond meal won’t work out the same way. Not sure about gluten free matzo meal, it tends to get somewhat gelatinous in certain cooked applications… the only way to know for sure is to try it!

24. Ju says:

You’re welcome Susan…I forgot to mention that flipping it is the hardest part..it comes out so big and fluffy that I use a second pan and just flip it into that. Good luck and enjoy..

25. Michal says:

Just remembered this morning the wonderful Bubaleh made by my mother for Pesach, and looked up for a recipe online. I was thrilled to re-discover the Shiksah.com website. I loved it before and happy to red it again now. My mother’s Bubaleh also used the beaten egg white, which makes the small pancakes vey light and airy. The word BUBALEH in Yiddish derives from the Hebrew word BUBA, which means doll, and as you explained it is a term of endearment.
    Thanks very much, it is nice to share childhood recipes, they are the sweetest and bring loving memories.

26. Rochelle Eissenstat says:

My parents who were survivors from Poland also referred to this pancake as a Bubelah. So does Ruth Sirkis, the venerated doyenne of gourmet Israeli cooking in Israel. All of us make the pancake with separated eggs as described above but without baking powder. Why that is its name I don’t know but it has been called this since before WWII in Poland! We would eat it very simply with home made jam or simply dusted with sugar during Pesach B/C in those days there weren’t all the KLP products we can use now. We do add a small pinch of salt to the egg whites while beating them; that adds some flavor & stability to the whites. We also made them without sugar when we used them as a surface for savory dishes, like creamed mushrooms as an appetizer.

27. Rosie says:

My parents were also holocaust survivors from Poland. We grew up eating bubelahs where the eggs were separated and whites beaten till stiff. My father who loved to make them used to say you beat the egg whites till they make magic, that is, when you turn the bowl over, the whites stay stiff and don’t move. Boy do I miss those days, but happy to share with my children.

28. Judi Bucholtz says:

Rochelle….that’s exactly the way my Mom made them. I didn’t remember the salt…..Thanks for the reminder and Happy Pesach to all. :)

29. Anne says:

just wondering about how many pancakes this makes. Is it correct to only use 1tbsp matzo meal
    thanks,
    Anne

30. Sharon says:

Just put this mix into the waffle maker for two toddlers who are already tied of Pesach and it worked great, thank you! I tripled the recipe – 2 tbsp cake meal 1 tbsp matzo meal.

31. Sarah says:

Only through the miracle of the internet can these recipes be found and passed around. My mother would make these for our family on the last day of Pesach – because it includes matzo meal, which my father wouldn’t eat on pesach. I would look forward to the smell of the slowly cooking tall pancake. Followed by the luscious taste – melt in your mouth good. I have asked all my family members and no one remembers the recipe. My mother must have gotten it from a friend. I am going into the kitchen and making it for lunch. We are talking about a recipe from over 50 years ago. Thanks for your gift!