How to Shred Cabbage

Shredding cabbage is a useful skill when making salads like coleslaw, or soups where you need finely textured cabbage pieces. I’ve never liked the texture that comes from shredding cabbage with a grater or food processor– the results are always too fine, without enough crunch. Luckily, it’s very easy to shred cabbage with a knife to create the perfect texture. While it might seem like a no-brainer, properly shredding cabbage is a bit of an art form. The method is super easy once you get the hang of it. Here’s how!

How to Shred Cabbage

You will need

• Cabbage
  • Chef's knife
  • Cutting surface
Total Time: 5 Minutes
Servings: Varies
  • Rinse the cabbage and remove the loose outermost leaves so only clean, compact leaves remain. Cut the very bottom of the stem off to flatten the bottom of the cabbage.
  • Turn the cabbage so the stem end is flat against the cutting board.
  • Slice the cabbage in half from top to bottom.
  • Slice each half in half again to create quarters.
  • Remove the stem and tough core from each wedge by cutting diagonally across to remove the solid parts.
  • For each wedge, start by turning the cabbage so the flat part of the wedge is against the board. Thinly slice the cabbage into strips, going as far as you can across the wedge before the remaining wedge becomes too small to manage.
  • Turn the unshredded part of the wedge so it's flat against the board and sturdy.
  • Continue slicing till the entire wedge is shredded.
  • Slice the shreds in half horizontally to shorten them.
  • Run your knife vertically through the shreds a final time, slicing them thinner.
  • Place your shreds in a bowl. Repeat the shredding process for the remaining wedges. Proceed with your recipe.

Category: Cooking Tutorials, How To, In the Kitchen, Slide Show

1. Steve Mitchell says:

So happy to have stumbled onto your pictorial essay. I was wondering about what kind of a kitchen gadget is a shiksa.

I’m having a good laugh at myself about this. My Toronto high school pals would have called me a schmuck.

I was on the verge of buying a food processor to get cabbage properly shredded for coleslaw. I miss KFC coleslaw, but not the calories, a lot. You have saved us a lot of unnecessary local bucks misspent, and appliance space in our tiny Korean kitchenette. Thank you, Tori.

Carl Jung’s concept of ” synchronicity ” — an apparently meaningful coincidence in time of two or more similar or identical events that are causally unrelated

We are semi-retired Canadian profs living and teaching/tutoring in Busan, South Korea. We miss a lot of North American culture and familiar food, of course.

Gotta run down to the nearby farmer’s market and load up on healthy purple cabbage, and the Chinese cabbage leaves so plentiful and cheap over here.

Thanks again for the inspirational, synchronic tutorial.

Have a fantastic day, Tori !!!

2. Robin says:

I’m a die hard upper east side cook and I couldn’t imagine what I didn’t know! I love this site and So many great tips and recipes!

3. Tim Cardoza says:

I love coleslaw and cooking and want to start making my own. Your article also saved me from buying a food processor. I enjoy your site. You’re smart, a good cook and pretty hot : )

Tim

4. hassan says:

i had no idea on how to shred cabbages and yours is the best and easier…………………

5. Caroline Olson says:

Luv,luv luv KFC cole slaw. But at $4 for a small container, I decided to make my own like Mom used to make. Put cabbage and 2 carrots into food processor, bad move! Way too fine and became mushy. Not successful. Therefore, your video on slicing is perfect. Will try again and just know it will be the right consistency. Thanks!

6. Nancy says:

Why am I having trouble signing up to your newsletter

Hi Nancy, you are showing up as a confirmed newsletter subscriber, so you’re all set. You’ll receive the emails starting next Sunday. Thanks for subscribing!

7. Elmer H Seale says:

Great tutorial

8. Debbie Rotenberg says:

Great tips

9. Daniel Erlenbusch says:

Great presentation. Just what I needed. I am trying to learn the basics of cooking at 69. It looks so easy when my wife does it but not when I do it. But I am getting better. Thanks to your great site. Chao.

10. Judy Nelson says:

Loved this tutorial. I have avoided shredded cabbage recipes because my shredding technique was never to my liking. This was great and so easy. Thanks.

11. Teresa says:

Thank you for showing this simple technique so clearly.

12. Alice K. says:

Hi Tori,
    Every time I make cabbage soup or cole slaw, I refer to this tutorial. Thanks so much for teaching me!

13. May G says:

Thanks for the tip. Planning on making my own coleslaw this weekend.

14. Jeanne says:

Glad I looked up chicken shwarma on the net; ended up on your great site

15. delfina says:

Thank you it seems easy to do .trying to make corn beef and cabbage