Smoked Salmon Crostini

Smoked Salmon Crostini - Easy Appetizer Recipe

The winter holiday season means parties with friends, family gatherings, and lots and lots of yummy food! Here’s a simple appetizer that you can throw together in no time flat, the perfect “introduction” to your holiday celebration. These dainty Smoked Salmon Crostini are inspired by my love of bagels, lox, and cream cheese. They capture that awesome lox and cream cheese flavor, lightened up with a bit of Greek yogurt, served on crunchy little crostinis… a delectable bite-sized treat. I use smoked salmon here because I love the flavor, but feel free to use brined lox if you prefer.

Crostini, which translates to “little toasts” in Italian, are small, thin slices of toasted bread, brushed with olive oil. They originated in Italy during the Middle Ages as a peasant food. Those who could not afford expensive ceramic plates would use bread as a substitute (also known as a trencher). Now they are a popular tapas choice all over the world, likely because they can be topped with anything from cheese and roasted veggies, to honey and seasonal fruit… or, in this case, smoked salmon!

I’ve added Greek yogurt to the spread to cut down on fat and calories, while maintaining a creamy flavor. You can top the crostini with fresh dill or capers, or just stick with the smoked salmon to keep things simple. These little treats are packed with flavor, and they’re so easy to make… I can throw together a batch in 20 minutes (even less if I have somebody helping me assemble). These would be a fun opener for a holiday meal or a New Year’s celebration, or anytime you need a quick bite before the “main event.” Love them!

Recommended Products

Citrus Juicer

Food Processor

Note: Any purchase you make from The Shiksa Market helps to support my website, my recipes, and the free content I provide. If you have an Amazon login, it’s even easier to make a purchase. Thanks for browsing!

Smoked Salmon Crostini - Easy Appetizer Recipe

Smoked Salmon Crostini

• 1 thin baguette
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp melted butter
  • 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
  • 6 tbsp cream cheese
  • 2 tbsp fresh chopped dill
  • 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • Salt to taste
  • 4 oz smoked salmon
  • Capers or fresh dill for garnish

• Food processor, baking sheet
Total Time: 25 Minutes
Servings: About 30 crostini
Kosher Key: Dairy
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the baguette along a diagonal into 1/4 inch slices using a serrated knife. Do not slice them thicker than 1/4 inch, or they will be difficult to bite through when toasted.
  • Place the slices on a cookie sheet. Stir together the melted butter and olive oil. If using unsalted butter, add a small pinch of salt to the mixture and stir to combine. If using salted butter, no need to add any additional salt. Brush the tops of the bread pieces with the oil and butter mixture.
  • Place the bread into the oven and let it toast for 8-10 minutes till the bottoms of the bread slices are golden brown and toasted. Flip the slices to check for doneness-- they will brown more on the bottom than they will on the top.
  • While baguette slices are toasting, place 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, cream cheese, dill, and lemon juice into a food processor. Process for about 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the processor periodically, till ingredients are well combined. Continue to add Greek yogurt till the mixture is soft and spreadable, but not overly liquid. I usually add about 3/4 cup of Greek yogurt, but the consistencies vary from yogurt brand to yogurt brand, so best to add slowly till the texture is right. Add salt to taste and process again to combine.
  • Cut the smoked salmon into pieces large enough to top the baguette slices.
  • When the baguette slices have cooled, top each slice with 1 tsp of the Greek yogurt mixture. Top the Greek yogurt mixture with a slice of smoked salmon. Place another small dollop of Greek yogurt mixture in the center of the smoked salmon slice. Top the small dollop with a couple of capers...
  • or a small sprig of dill.
  • Serve Smoked Salmon Crostini as a bite-sized appetizer.

Other Great Recipe Ideas

Sippity Sup: Radish and Herbed Olive-Butter Crostini

Weelicious: Artichoke Cheese Spread

Two Peas & Their Pod: Goat Cheese & Roasted Pepper Crostini

Category: Appetizers, Dairy, Finger Foods and Dips, Hanukkah, In the Kitchen, Nut Free, Purim, Recipes, Salads and Mezze, Shavuot, Slide Show, Snacks, Thanksgivukah, Tomato Free

1. Debbie says:

I love bagels and lox so I’m sure I’d love this. Thanks for the recipe. I pinned it so I could easily find it when I’m ready to make it myself.

2. Lois J Levy Smith says:

I love the idea of the crostini and the greek yogurt.When I toasted (when I was growing up Bagels always went in the oven to warm) a bagel I always took the bread out of the middle so……….this is so perfect and looks so delicious.

3. Jennie says:

Looks lovely, I think this would be great with a bit of white horseradish sauce mixed in with the cream cheese too! I just discovered this blog and I love it, I think it’s so great that you adopted the religion that fits you best and that you are exploring the history of your chosen path! Welcome to Am Yisrael. :)

4. jessica says:

hi there, I made this for my boyfriend and I and we absolutely LOVED it! great recipe!

5. Emily says:

I just made these and feel like I might have done something wrong. They were delicious. However the sauce was very runny and ran all over. Not able to put a “dollop” on. Instead had to pretty much pour it on lol. Maybe I mixed it too long in the food processor? Any advice would be appreciated. As i said, it was delicious, just not very pretty due to the runny sauce.

Hi Emily– by chance did you use regular yogurt instead of Greek? Greek yogurt is quite a bit thicker and less watery, which is why I’m thinking the topping might have gone runny on you.

• Emily says:

Hi, thanks for the thought but I used greek yogurt. I appreciate the feed back any way. -Emily

Hi Emily, that is strange. Perhaps your Greek yogurt was more liquid than the one I normally use. Next time, try adding 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt to the mix first, then adding more, a little at a time, till the texture is spreadable. I’ll change the recipe to reflect this, so that others don’t face the same issue. Thank you for reporting back!

6. rita b says:

Can i make this in the evening but serve the next day? I’d like to serve this at an office potluck but am worried that the bread will become hard and/or the spread become soggy. Any suggestions? Thanks

Hi Rita, I would worry that the bread slices might become stale. You could try storing them in an airtight container overnight, as long as they are sliced very thin, but know that they won’t have that fresh crostini flavor. The topping can definitely be made ahead, so another alternative might be to buy some crispy crackers and serve the topping that way!

7. Jane Smith says:

Thank heavens dairy and fish are allowed to be consumed together. YUM!

8. Larry Heyman says:

If I had to choose a “final meal” it would be a nice soft onion bagel, cream cheese with chives, nova scotia lox, a slice of bermuda onion and a slice of tomato.

9. Ray Miller says:

Lox….Lox….and more Lox…lol

10. i love ur recipe i used for Xmas brunch last year.. was one of the top favs that day!! making it for a wedding reception this jan 2014 too!

11. Thanks for reminding me I have smoked salmon somewhere in my fridge.

12. Susan Martin says:

I want that right NOW!

13. Mike Janning says:

Larry: With maybe a tiny bit of caviar to top it off.

14. i posted yum b4i looked at other posts
    how funny that was such a prevelant comment!

15. My favorite daily lunch and/or snack!

16. Judy Galford says:

oh yummy! I love LOX!

17. I just bought nova lox and bagels with capers

18. Ronni Lynn says:

For me, lightly toasted everything bagel with whitefish salad, slices of red ripe tomatoes, thin sliced sweet onion, paper thin kirby cukes and a large pot of hot tea…….is my favorite for breakfast, lunch, dinner or an anytime snack……yummo

19. Mid sentence I scrolled past this picture and stopped to say “oohhhhhhh”. Yes. THIS is something we used to have every Sabbath morning years back. Great way to start the day.

20. Mary Younkin says:

Love love love lox, bagels, cream cheese and capers!! This looks so delish…can’t wait to make these!! Might not make it to New Year’s Eve!! ;-)

21. absolutely perfect,w e were wondering what to have for newyears.

22. It’s on my NY’s menu. Can’t wait!

23. Yum! I am going to try this one.

24. put a potato pancake under the lox instead of bread. yum.

25. LatinoFoodie says:

Mmmmmm that sounds good.

26. (y) This looks so tasty! I am going shopping for the ingredients today to make this for brunch tomorrow.

27. Lox is one of my top favorite foods!

28. I could probably eat my weight in smoked lox! I love it!!!

29. and the capers on top, too!

30. Deb Russell says:

I love this recipe. Have made it before without the Greek yogurt, great addition. Was reading through the comments, though…as far as I know lox and smoked salmon are not the same. Smoked salmon is cold smoked, lox is cured and not smoked. I prefer the smoked salmon for this appy. Not familiar with Nova Scotia lox.

You are correct Deb, they are not the same thing. And I agree that smoked salmon tastes better with this recipe (as I said in the above blog post), though either will work. Glad you’re enjoying the recipe!

31. Samuel Tucker says:

Hi Tori,

Your recipe sounds delicious, and I am using it today for my Office Meeting. I must admit I am not well versed on yogurt. Will any flavor of Greek yogurt work? Is unflavored Greek yogurt available? Thanks, Samuel

Hi Samuel, definitely make sure you get plain, unflavored Greek yogurt. Any amount of fat content is fine, as long as it’s plain. Plain is the most common variety and should be easy to find.