Thanksgiving 2012

Here are some images from my Thanksgiving meal for 2012. We had about 25 guests total. It was my birthday, too (it falls on Thanksgiving once every 7 years or so), which made the meal extra special. There’s nothing I love more than spending time with my family and friends… and birthday pie!

Our very long Thanksgiving table. We have so many guests each year, we have to tent part of our back yard to allow everybody to sit in one place together!

The calm before the storm. Lest you think I’m some kind of Martha Stewart, I’m not ashamed to admit that those dishes are the recycle-friendly kind. No way we’re doing that many dishes after cooking a huge meal!! My mom made the flower arrangements. She’s crafty that way.

This is Carl, the new labrador puppy belonging to my brother and his fiance. He caused all kinds of mayhem during the dinner prep, running through the kitchen with my lab Marley. It was fabulous chaos.

Our grand buffet. Sorry for the picture quality. The light was really low and I had several hungry guests waiting, so I only had a chance to snap a quick pic.

Who am I kidding? I’m not sorry one bit! My mom and I had just cooked for 25 guests. Talk about feeling wiped out. I’m still recovering!!

On the menu this year (recipes from the blog are linked):

Aunt Carol’s Spinach Dip
Turkey Sausage Stuffing
Maple Butternut Squash Puree
Mom’s Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie with Streusel Topping
Persimmon Pudding with Caramel Sauce
Thanksgiving Cider Sangria

What was on your Thanksgiving menu this year? Did you have a chance to try any of the recipes I posted on The Shiksa Blog? Let me know in the comments section below!

Category: At Home with Tori, Tori's Corner

1. Liss says:

I made your kale, fig, and halloumi salad for Thanksgiving with my folks this year. Well, with a different cheese, because I couldn’t easily acquire the halloumi, but everyone enjoyed it!

2. טליה says:

אני אוהבת מאוד את הבלוג היפה והמעניין שלך (פחות אני אוהבת לבשל בעצמי…מדליק אותי בישולים של אחרים…) והמנות שלך מגוונות ומעניינות והתמונות יפות מאוד.אהבתי מאוד את קרל,איזה כלב יפה ושמח,תודה וכל טוב,
    טליה

3. Lisa says:

happy birthday tori :D wishing you a fun and fabulous year ahead and many, many more!!

4. Elizabeth says:

What a beautiful table! I love that you made it pretty without having to suffer through a ton of dishwashing!

5. Cheryl says:

We added your Kale, Pear and Cranberry salad to our Thanksgiving menu this year. It was a bit hit and very refreshing and light alongside all our usual richer dishes. In fact, I think I ate more of that than anything else — so I didn’t experience the after-meal-belly-blues at all :)!

6. Rachel says:

I used the filling from your parve pumpkin pie, doubled the recipe and baked in it a 9X13 pan with pie crust on the bottom to make pumpkin pie squares. They were a big hit!

7. Becky Shaffer says:

Your Challah Slow-Cooker Stuffing was the number one favorite foood at our ten person dinner. We are a house divided–stuffed or unstuffed bird. After 33 years I found the perfect compromise since I will not stuff the turkey. The slow cooked version was moist, just like if stuffed. Challah was my mother-in law’s bread of choice too.

It’s a great idea and I’ve already passed it on to two more people. I appreciated that I didn’t need the oven for this on Thanksgiving day. Thank you.

8. Amy says:

Hope you had a very Happy Day! Our family’s favorite recipe is your Roasted Cauliflower gratin, I always make double the recipe and the dish still gets licked clean! Thank you.

9. Jackie says:

beautiful table!

10. Stella says:

Happy holidays to you and yours, Tori! Thanks for sharing. That top pic is gorgeous. I love the bright blue candle.