Announcing The History Kitchen!

I’ve been hinting this week about some changes coming to The Shiksa in the Kitchen. One change became “official” this weekend, and I’m thrilled to announce it to you now. Those who follow my blog regularly know that I am a “food history nerd”—I love learning about the origins of different ingredients and recipes. Today, I’m proud to announce the launch of my new website, The History Kitchen!

Over the past few months, I have created a website dedicated to exploring all facets of food history, from Mesopotamian meals to ancient Israelite recipes to Renaissance cooking to the cocktails of Mad Men, and everything in between. I’ll be posting on The History Kitchen about a variety of historical culinary topics, and I’ll also be posting on the PBS Food website in a new History Kitchen column. I am so excited to share my new corner of the web with you!

You may be wondering, what about The Shiksa in the Kitchen? Don’t worry, I will still post here regularly, just like I always have. I consider The History Kitchen to be like a “sister website” to TheShiksa.com—it’s a natural extension of something that I already love to do. In fact, you’ll see a blue navigation button in the menu at the top of TheShiksa.com that will lead you directly to The History Kitchen. Having The History Kitchen will allow me to better organize my posts by topic. Historical dishes, vintage recipes, and culinary heritage posts will live on the new site, while Jewish and kosher recipes will live on The Shiksa in the Kitchen. In order to stay true to the historical roots of food, The History Kitchen won’t always feature kosher recipes. I will attempt to provide kosher modifications whenever possible. TheShiksa.com will always be home to my original kosher recipes, developed in my kitchen for my family. TheHistoryKitchen.com is my new playground, a place where I can conduct a deeper and more accurate exploration of food, history, and culture.

I’ve already moved my general food history posts over to The History Kitchen, and I’ll be growing the site from the ground up. If you’ve subscribed to my Shiksa in the Kitchen newsletter, you will automatically be subscribed to The History Kitchen newsletter going out later this month. There will be a quick unsubscribe button if you’d prefer not to receive the new newsletter.

I hope you get a chance to check out The History Kitchen, it’s already shaping up to be a fascinating website! Please let me know which historical topics, time periods, and personalities you’d like to see me cover in the future. Thank you all for your continued support and friendship. Your loyalty and enthusiasm have allowed me to expand my site, and I can’t express my gratitude enough. Here’s to new adventures in the happy world of food!

Category: This & That, Tori's Corner

1. Leah says:

Just took a very quick look and I love it. Looking forward to reading more.

2. Valentina says:

Tori, this is fantastic! I just visited The History Kitchen — it looks beautiful! Congratulations! XO

3. Kristin says:

I just signed up for the email alerts! I love the history section of your blog here, it is my favorite part :)

4. gatorobot says:

Congratulations on the new website, I’ll be checking it as often as I check this one!
    And speaking of cooking, food origins and history, here is a nice little cookbook I found that I think might be of interest to you:
    link to amzn.to
    It’s called “A Russian Jew Cooks in Peru”. Intriguing, no? (one of the Amazon reviews even transcribes one of the recipes in the book!)

5. anna says:

Mazal Tov on the PBS blog, I hope this is a step closer to your own show!

6. Eftychia says:

Congratulations for your new website!

7. What an interesting concept! I’ve signed up to follow the new blog by email and will be featuring it in my News of the Day post later this evening.

8. Linda says:

Your History Kitchen is right up my alley! Some years ago my mother had given me a copy of “Grandma’s Wartime Kitchen” by Joanne Lamb Hayes. In going over some of the fun items with my dearest friend, who is African American, we launched into some incredible conversations about our grandmothers and THEIR grandmothers trying to feed their families with what grew outside their kitchen doors, no matter the geography. I am excited to follow your new site and wish you all the luck with it!

• Michele says:

It’s lovely! What Laura Ingells Wilder Ate that’s where you got me! Its fabulous thank you so much for sharing your passion with us.

9. Linda Nygaard says:

Hi! I’m trying to subscribe to your newsletter and I keep getting a message that my email address seems fake. It’s a weird email address, but it IS a real one. Any way you can over ride this? Love what you are doing! Thanks so much!

Hi Linda! Interesting issue, that’s never happened before that I’m aware of. I have asked my web guys about overriding the system and allowing your address to be subscribed (I removed it from your comment so you won’t get spammed). If they’re able to override it, you will receive a confirmation message sometime in the next couple of days. Sorry about the hassle, thanks for reading!

10. jdana says:

Exciting! FYI – I have a wonderful source for you. If you haven’t already done it, check out the FB group Culinary Historians of Washington, DC. I am a member of CHoW and their meetings and newsletters are fantastic. Although I’m not a professional foodie, many of the members are. They discuss everything from Great Depression food, to 17th Century (I may have the wrong century) French to….whatever. If you go to the website which you can access from the FB group you can access some of the older newsletters, which are of excellent caliber. http://www.chowdc.org

Not accessible :( is a recent newsletter from May 2012 that gives a fine synopsis of Amy Riolo’s super talk on Karabakh food. A culture within Azerbaijan – which BTW once had a large Jewish community. Google Karabakh Foundation for more.

I don’t think I can add the attachment here – but if you can share with me, somehow your personal e-mail I would send you the pdf of that newsletter.

I think there’s a NYC and a Chicago group too since I sometimes receive word of their goings on. Dues for the DC chapter are $30 and for that you could get a very nice newsletter, and perhaps some more contacts or information. This is very high caliber group (which is very accepting…they let me join :)

I am sort of private (paranoid??) and have posted to you before – sometimes using Ana, or jad or jada or anadama — I keep forgetting…. can certainly contact me at the e-mail listed above.

11. Michele says:

It’s lovely! What Laura Ingells Wilder Ate – that’s where you got me! Its fabulous thank you so much for sharing your passion with us.

12. Batya says:

That is so fantastic! What a great idea. Now I won’t have to search all around the internet to find out “where does this (or that) come from…” Now I can just tune into you. Congrats!

13. Ruth Herzel says:

Your enthusiasm is so appreciated and contagious. I do like to cook but am not always motivated especially for company….I have never like trying to decide what other people might want to eat. However, I do quite a bit of entertaining and so enjoy your blog and look forward to your new endeavors!

14. Stella says:

I’m so excited about this, Tori!!! Can’t wait to see the content.

15. Vivienne Whitney says:

Hey, love this idea. I have book with recipes the First Fleeters to Australia 1788 used. INTERESTED? How do I actually communicate to you. Vivienne

16. Sharon M. says:

I have only recently found this blog and now that you have announced the new website I am THRILLED! I have always been fascinated by old recipes and descriptions of food being prepared in the past. When we were last in Israel my husband and I were taken to a restaurant where they prepare dishes from Biblical times as close to authentically as possible. It was fabulous and delicious. I am bookmarking your new site and will be a frequent visitor… I already love the molasses cookie recipe from Laura Ingalls Wilder ( I,too, have always been a voracious reader). Thanks for giving us a sneak peek!

• MKI says:

Yes the Restaurant in question is called Eucalyptus in Jerusalem they use such ingredients as Hubeza and I think also Sorrel its called in English and make wonderful things with figs. I havent bee for a few years as Im vegetarian but its worth going to ancient Jerusalem for Eucalyptus…

17. Sharolyn says:

I am thrilled. I have been coming to your site for the last few months and was especially interested in the history parts. I am a high school history teacher and foodie and love to combine the two. I cannot wait to see what you share that I may use in the classroom and with my own family. Thanks! It is beautiful so far.

18. Lanette says:

Love it! I’m forwarding your info to friends that would really appreciate your info and expertise!

19. Lissy says:

Congratulations and thank you Tori!!

20. Coco Galvez says:

Fantastic! what a great idea, fan#1. History and food together two of my favorite things, thanks again Tori.

21. Shari says:

Awesome! I, too, an a culinary history buff, so this is right up my alley. Can’t wait to read your new blog! Please be sure to include historically-accurate recipes to complete the fun. Thanks!

22. Deborah says:

This is very exciting news and your food history deserves its own site. Congratulations and I can’t wait to explore. Now I will have two favorite food sites!

23. RecipeNewZ says:

This is so exciting! Congratulations!

24. Amy says:

Congrats, Tori. Glad you are excited. Me, too. You are fantastic. Love, love, love your recipes and your blogging. You are very entertaining, and a darn good cook to boot! Going right over to look at the History Kitchen. Keep up the fine work. You always whet my appetite to prepare your splendid dishes.