Thanksgiving 2011

This is what a Shiksa in the Kitchen Thanksgiving looks like! I thought I’d share a few pictures from our holiday gathering last night. We had about 30 guests, so we had to tent part of our back yard and set up a really long table. I took my Sukkot decorations out of storage (many of them conveniently double as Thanksgiving decorations), and handed them to my Mom and my brother’s girlfriend. They are both very handy with this sort of thing, so they worked their Martha Stewart magic while I cooked. The multi-colored water goblets were a birthday gift from my mom a few years ago. Amazing, right? I love having a rainbow of colors at my holiday table. These goblets make an appearance at Passover and Rosh Hashanah, too!

The Shiksa’s Thanksgiving Menu 2011

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Grilled Marinated Zucchini
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Traditional Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie with Streusel Topping
Apple Pie

That’s me and my mom in the kitchen, cooking up a storm. Mom made her famous mashed potatoes and gravy. Awesome.

Here’s the buffet, all set and ready to be devoured! I only got a few pics of this, everybody was so hungry that I couldn’t make them wait while I take my food-bloggy pics. The food smelled too good, and everybody was too hungry.

We served two types of turkey, a brined Classic Roast Turkey and a Smoked Turkey.

I served lots of different sides, and I tried to work some healthy and exotic flavors into the mix. Thanksgiving is all about tradition, but I like to add a few unique touches– like Moroccan Carrot Salad, Pumpkin Challah, and Smoky Roasted Cauliflower.

By the time dessert rolled around, I was too stuffed and tired to bust out the camera. I wish I’d captured a few shots of the pies, they were gorgeous. Instead, I’ll end this post with my favorite photo of the day:

My Mom created this work of art, a veggie tray in the shape of a turkey. We were inspired by a Pinterest post from Jaden at Steamy Kitchen, who pinned the image from EatingWithFoodAllergies.com. Isn’t it adorable?? Gobble gobble!

It was so wonderful to share this holiday with so many family and friends. I was born on Thanksgiving (the holiday falls on my birthday every 7-8 years), so it’s a particularly meaningful day for us. My mom calls me her little Butterball. It gives new meaning to the phrase, “I’m thankful to be alive.” What a blessing to be able to celebrate with our loved ones.

Hope you all had a terrific holiday!

Category: At Home with Tori, Tori's Corner

1. Ana Martinez says:

Everything looks fantastic!!!! Congratulations.

2. Tori..my dear, you outdid yourself and THANK YOU for such a delectably delicious evening… smooches Ester

PS: Champers said thank you for the extra turkey you send.

3. Liz Robillard says:

Not too many nor too few items. Bravo!

4. Anna says:

Oh wow, everything looks so gorgeous and delicious!

5. Ann says:

What a fun and delicious dinner! It looks like a good time for all and I can understand not wanting to wait…it looked amazing! Happy Thanksgiving!

6. Rich the DogMan says:

You should be very proud of yourself! What a beautiful thanksgiving, and the memories you made for so many, what a mechiah! ; )

7. Kim Bee says:

Tori it all looks so fantastic. I love the multi colored goblets are beautiful. I love the pic of you and your Mom. So much to be grateful for. Thanks for sharing this with us. xx

8. Jackie says:

You left off the Moroccan Carrots from your menu. I see them in the picture!

9. Linda says:

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Birthday Tori!
    I did not take one picture of my Thanksgiving food….too busy cooking! You table and buffet look wonderful!
    On to the next holiday!
    L~xo

I don’t blame you re: the pics, it was tough finding a spare moment… I worked a few shots in while my family was gathering to enjoy the buffet. Glad I snapped a few! Wish I’d gotten dessert, though…

10. Leah says:

What an amazing Thanksgiving! Your 30 guests are lucky! Your table and food looks amazing. Happy Thanksgiving!

11. Jeff Brown says:

Looks delicious. I thought because of it being “shiksa” in the kitchen, there surely would have been ham. But instead, there was hummus. Go figure.

12. Colleen says:

Whoa, talk about impressive! 30 guests? I had three people at my Thanksgiving table and preparing the feast was still stressful! Kudos to you. And cute turkey veggie tray :)

13. Stephanie says:

What a beautiful spread! Everything on your menu sounds delicious!

14. Sarah Lasry says:

Tori, WOW! I am so loving those goblets and genius move on the succah decorations and your buffet spread looked delicious – What was that ring of challah thing with dip in the middle? Everything really looked awesome.
    What a great day to have a Bday – looked like it was a fun one.

15. So beautiful! So much love and work went into all this is so lovely.I love your huge table and I’m sure everyone had a wonderful time together. Oh the dishes but I’m sure it was all worth it. I love your place cards i always want to make them ahead of time but it slips my mind while I’m cooking!

Happy holidays Tori, thanks for sharing :)

16. Jane Sef says:

I admire you…You are really ¡¡¡ SOMETHING !!!

17. Tori,
    Wow is all I can say. You, and your family, put on amazing get together. Such a gorgeous setting and fantastic food.
    Thanks for sharing and making me so jealous (but in a good way, I now have something to aspire to) :)

18. Tammy says:

Hi Tori, You mentioned that this was a roundup of your previous posts. Do you send them by email? Because I have not been receiving your posts. I only received this roundup. Tammy

Hi Tammy, my email newsletter is only sent out once per week. If you would like to read each individual blog as they are posted, you can subscribe to the site via Google Reader or another RSS reader. Here is my RSS link:

link to feeds.feedburner.com

Or, you can check back with my site regularly– I tend to post at least 2 recipes per week, so you can bookmark the site and check in every couple of days for more frequent updates. You can also “like” my fan page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter, I always link up my new posts on both sites as soon as they go live:

Facebook: link to facebook.com
      Twitter: @theshiksa

Hope that helps!

19. Tammy says:

Yes, it helps a lot. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

20. I love the photo with your mom – so cute!! Glad you got the chance to snap photos – they’re lovely. I know exactly how it is to hold the crowd for a bit for photos :) And the Pumpkin Challah looks and sounds divine! :)

21. kristy says:

Happy belated Thanksgiving! It looks like you had a wonderful time. I love the colored goblets, but really loved the buffet service. I’m going to remember that – it’s much easier than passing! :)

22. What a beautiful table and spread!
    Happy Thanksgiving (a little belated)

23. sippitysup says:

Thirty? Get me a chair, I think I need to sit down. GREG

24. Ilke says:

What a spread …both food and love…We had a long table and lots of people as well but not as long as yours …love the colorful goblets. They make it festive.
    Oh and Happy Belated Birthday :)

25. RachelJ says:

Can you share your Fresh Herb Stuffing with Chicken Sausage recipe? Sounds great and I gave up pork when I converted. (On 11/17/11!). :-)

26. Coco Galvez says:

Lovely picture with Mama! and the food as always re-yummm!

27. Lori Lynn says:

Hi Tori – I viewed this earlier and didn’t leave a comment. I’m back to say: Awesome! Love your table, and pining after those goblets.
    LL

28. Pingback: Smoky Roasted Cauliflower - Delicious Vegan Side Dish

29. This is so inspirational!! I absolutely love your blog and your simple (but well done) food and presentation. I’ve sort of been fascinated with Judaism after reading The Chosen by Chaim Potok (such an amazing book!) in high school, and I love that you explore Judaism through food! You’re definitly on my blog reader :)