Sukkot 2011 – My Sukkah

I’ve received some emails asking to see my sukkah, so here it is! I didn’t have a lot of time to decorate this year, so it’s not as fancy as in years past, but I’m still proud of it! We’ve had some terrific meals in it during the past week. There’s something so fun about eating out in the sukkah.

Sukkot ends tomorrow. It’s been a fun week! Chag Sukkot Sameach!

Category: Off the Menu, Slide Show, Sukkot

1. Larry "The Wizard" Siegfried says:

Nice Sukkot, T…. :)… Chag Sukkot Sameach!
    To you and yours as well…

2. Angie says:

Love it! Every year I say I’m going to put up a Sukkah, then I don’t plan ahead and it doesn’t happen. I’m determined to get ready for next year, especially since my little one came home with a miniature version from religious school last week!

3. DAWN says:

Abigail,
    that is beautiful! thx for sharing this photo, and this part of your life. the girl in the pic is also very beautiful!

4. Sherry says:

Your sukkah looks so inviting. Long enjoyable talks with food and family in such a beautiful place….such fun.

5. Carol Esther says:

Oh, Tori, it’s BEAUTIFUL! You are such an inspiration to me! It’s too late for me to do a sukkah for this year, but next year I am definitely putting one up. Thank you for sharing with us!

Thank you Carol! I hope you’re able to celebrate next year! I’ll pour you a glass tomorrow night… it’s our last night in the sukkah. Sad to see it end!

6. Janice says:

Beautiful Sukkah surrounded by palm trees and sun! Not quite like in Michigan where people were chasing their sukkah’s down the street when the wind and rain hit 40 mph! Chag Sameach!

Oy va voy! Now that’s a holiday! We’ve been having some extreme heat for the season. It’s made for some nice, mild evenings in the sukkah. ;)

7. Linda says:

Good for you for doing this…it makes me feel very proud that you carry this tradition on…
    Chag Sukkot Sameach to you and yours!

Thank you for the words of encouragement Linda! It’s a lot of work each year, but once it’s up we’re so happy– it’s a special tradition.

8. Beautiful!! I love it! I have an apartment, but cannot wait to have my own sukkah whenever I have a house!

We are blessed with a big back yard, which makes things easier. I have a friend with the same problem, she has an apartment and kids. She wanted them to celebrate the holiday, even though their space made it difficult. So, she put up a “living room” sukkah– sort of like a kid’s “fort”– and the kids decorated it like a sukkah. They had a blast eating picnic style in there each night, and the kids learned a lot about the holiday, even if it wasn’t the most traditional way to go about it! :)

9. Leah says:

Your sukkah is beautiful! You have completely inspired me to fully celebrate Sukkot in our home next year.

10. Ann says:

Yay! I was hoping you’d post a picture of your sukkah….you DID go “Martha Stewart” on it! Nicely done!

11. Pingback: The Shiksa Picks – Tori’s Favorite Finds on the Web 10.21.11 | The Shiksa Blog

12. Lori Lynn says:

So neat to see your sukkah. Lovely!
    LL

13. Molly says:

How did u build this? We really want to put one up this year and this is beautiful! Did u use a kit?

Yes Molly, there are many kits available online, just search “sukkah.” We bought ours at a local Judaica store. The decorations are my own, though. I bought them at various craft stores.