Rosh Hashanah Sangria

What better way to celebrate the Jewish New Year than with a sweetly symbolic beverage – Rosh Hashanah Sangria! This delightful drink is tasty, refreshing, and visually lovely. It will make a beautiful presentation at your Rosh Hashanah gathering. It’s also a fun way to discuss the symbolism of the holiday with your guests, because it includes many traditional Rosh Hashanah ingredients.

When creating this recipe, I wanted to include as much holiday symbolism as possible. It’s a honey sweetened beverage (in honor of a sweet new year) decorated by fresh fruit– apples, pomegranates and grapes. During Rosh Hashanah, we eat apples dipped in honey to symbolize our hope for a sweet year to come. We eat pomegranates to symbolize “new fruit” (the first of the season), as a representation of the 613 mitzvot (the fruit has 613 seeds), and to remind ourselves that our good deeds in the coming year should be plentiful. Round foods (like grapes) are also part of the holiday; they represent the cyclical nature of the year and the continuity of Creation.

This sangria is cold, bold, and delicious. My favorite part of the drink is the little pomegranate seeds; they burst on the tongue, releasing a delicious juice. Prepare it a few hours ahead of time so it has a chance to chill and marinate in the refrigerator. The fruit will soak up the drink and the flavors will develop over time. It also goes down very easily… you’ve been warned!

You can, of course, use any brand of liquor you like for this recipe. Here are the kosher certified brands that I used, just in case you’re curious. This is not an endorsement of these brands, it’s simply what I had on hand when I made this sangria:

Galil Mountain Shiraz 2007
POM Wonderful Pomegranate Juice
Kedem Organic Grape Juice
Sadaf Organic Honey
Tishbi Brandy
Leroux Triple Sec

If you like your sangria less sweet and more on the tart side, you can leave out the triple sec and cut the honey in half. For a sparkly sangria, add 2 cups of ginger ale to the mix and stir just prior to serving.

Non-Alcoholic Version: Substitute a bottle of red/purple grape juice for the wine and omit the brandy and triple sec.

Cheers to a sweet new year!

Recommended Products

Sangria Pitcher and Glasses

Note: Any purchase you make from The Shiksa Market helps to support my website, my recipes, and the free content I provide. If you have an Amazon login, it’s even easier to make a purchase. Thanks for browsing!

Rosh Hashanah Sangria

• 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 pomegranate
  • 1 apple, cored and sliced thin
  • 12 oz. seedless grapes
  • 1 bottle red wine (syrah/shiraz works well)
  • 2 cups pure 100% pomegranate juice
  • 1 cup grape juice
  • 1/4 cup brandy
  • 1/4 cup triple sec

• 2.2 liter pitcher (or larger), heavy wine glasses
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours 15 Minutes
Servings: 6-8 servings
  • Pour honey and ½ cup water into a small saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring constantly, till the honey is completely dissolved into the water. Do not boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool. This is your honey simple syrup.
  • Meanwhile, seed the pomegranate. Discard the rind and pith. For instructions, click here.
  • Place the pomegranate seeds into the bottom of your pitcher.
  • Place the apple slices on top of the seeds...
  • ...and the grapes on top of the apple slices.
  • Pour the entire bottle of red wine into the pitcher.
  • Add the pomegranate juice, grape juice, brandy, triple sec, and honey simple syrup to the pitcher. Stir gently with a long handled spoon to blend all the flavors together.
  • Place pitcher into the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours before serving. This will allow the flavors to blend. Stir again before serving.

Category: Beverages, Gluten Free, In the Kitchen, Nut Free, Pareve, Recipes, Rosh Hashanah, Slide Show, Tomato Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

1. Pingback: The Jewish Year 5772 Rosh Hashanah Collection | Gluten Free Canteen

2. Gursahiba says:

I love Sangria! I am certainly gonna try this!

3. Lisa Colton says:

Totally giving this a whirl! Glad I found it before heading to the store in an hour!

4. So fun! Looks like and refreshing!

5. Oooh, yummy! We made some sangria with pomegranate juice last year and it was divine! Yours looks beautiful!

6. Kim Bee says:

This looks so yummy Tori. I’d love to try this sans alcohol. I think you’re going to have the sweetness new year ever my dear.xx

7. Lori Lynn says:

Hi Tori!
    Cheers! Great drink to celebrate Rosh Hashanah! Very clever, love the symbolism. Bet it tastes heavenly…

Wishing You a Sweet New Year My Dear.
    L’Shana Tova!
    LL
    P.S. We are having an exciting time over here, one cousin is due with twins and another cousin is having a baby boy. Happy new year indeed!

8. What a wonderful drink to celebrate with!! I love sangria, but I’ve never tried a pomegranate version! It looks so delicious!

9. Kendall says:

What a lovely idea, and a beautiful presentation! I love including the honey and pomegranate for the symbolism! L’shanah tova to all! <3

10. Ann says:

What a delicious Sangria! I love the symbolism (and love) you put into this one…

11. Cucina49 says:

So happy to see other Rosh Hashanah recipes! I published one today, too.

L’Shana Tova–have a sweet new year and may your name be inscribed for another year.

12. L’Shana Tova
    This is a pretty and I am sure tasty drink..I love the symbolism attached

13. When I saw this recipe today, I had to add it to our holiday menu. I’ve got a pitcher each of the real stuff and a nonalcoholic version. Can’t wait to serve this! Thanks Tori!

14. sarah says:

Just emailed this to my mom- she’s having people over tomorrow for the holiday and this is perfect! Lovely recipe and gorgeous photos!

15. Maggie Cruz says:

not only clever, inspirational and symbolic, but spiritually comforting. i’ll serve this sangria with my fish. thanks from a Sephardi friend.

16. Claudie says:

This sangria looks fabulous! I haven’t had pomegranate sangria before, and now I want to try it — will make some this weekend :)

17. This sangria looks wonderful :)

18. nancy says:

what type of honey did you use?

Wildflower, but any kind will do. If you plan on refrigerating it for longer than 1 night, you may want to use sugar instead of honey– the honey tends to settle in a cold refrigerator over a long period of time.

19. Chaya B. says:

Hosted a huge Rosh Hashana lunch for my husband’s whole family and made this sangria. They LOVED it!!! Perfect blend of fruity flavors and just the right amount of alcohol, thanks for all your awesome recipes!!

20. Karen says:

It was a big hit at my home on Rosh Hashanah. It looked beautiful and tasted great. I also liked the pomegranate seeds in it a lot. Thank you!

21. Michele says:

Love the website your ears should be burning as I talk about it often. Made this for Sukkot Sangria in the Sukkah a huge hit. Used 2 types of fruit liqueurs as brandy was too hard to find. Highly recommended.

22. Debbie says:

Just made this recipe for T B’Shevat, and it was a big hit!

I used half the recommended honey simple syrup, to make it a little less sweet, but everything else exactly as written. Thanks so much for sharing!

23. Gretchen says:

I made this for Rosh Hashanah the other day, it was delicious! I need a larger pitcher, though….I had a 2.2 quart which I thought would be enough but it started to overflow. So I took out some of the fruit. It is a very sweet drink, but really tasty! AND, I learned how to get the seeds from a pomegranate! Thanks!