Watermelon Lime Chiller

When I was in Israel last year, I had dinner with my friend Gila. She served me a beverage of blended seedless watermelon. Instead of juicing the watermelon, she threw whole chunks of melon into the blender and whirled them up into a refreshing beverage. It was so cool, naturally sweet, and delicious– perfect for a hot summer day. Since then I’ve made the drink many times, experimenting by adding different ingredients to enhance the already yummy beverage. Lime juice and watermelon go really well together, so I like to add some lime juice along with a touch of sugar or agave nectar. Depending on the natural sweetness of your watermelon, you may or may not need to add any sweetener. I only add it when the drink needs it. Sometimes I add rum for a kick. You can make the drink with or without alcohol… either way, it’s a tasty beverage. Perfect for summer!

Gluten Free Note: If you’re GF, make sure your rum is certified GF. Most rums are naturally gluten free, but it’s always best to check with the source to make sure.

Blender

Footed Glasses

Watermelon Lime Chiller

• 3 cups cubed seedless watermelon, well chilled
  • 1 1/2 fresh limes, juiced
  • 1/4 cup rum (optional)
  • Sugar (or your favorite sweetener), to taste
  • Fresh mint sprigs for garnish
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 10 Minutes
Servings: 2 servings
  • Put watermelon chunks and lime juice into a blender. Process on high until smooth. Add sweetener to taste, if needed, and blend again. Pour drink into two glasses over ice. Garnish with fresh mint. Serve.

Category: Beverages, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Pareve, Recipes, Slide Show, Tomato Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

1. Ramona says:

Wow! I’ll have a glass. That looks so refreshing. I think lime juice and watermelon go so well together. : )

2. Tanya Ellis says:

Sounds great (no rum for me please)!

3. Evan Thomas says:

Mmmm, I’ve made a drink like this without alcohol before. I will never ever make that mistake again.

4. Liz says:

That is truly summer in a glass…just stunning!! I’ll have mine with rum :)

5. Stephanie says:

What a gorgeous drink this is! I would drink this any time of the year!

6. Kelly says:

What a great idea for the holiday weekend Tori – lime and watermelon are two of my favourite ingredients… light, healthy and delicious (not to mention absolutely beautiful!) Gorgeous drink.

7. Beautiful! I’d like a glass right now =)

8. That’s a very nice chiller! ‘will definitely be a cool refreshments this summer.

9. Linda says:

This looks oh so refreshing! Beautiful pics!

10. kita says:

Why have I not thought of this yet? Its brilliant! I can’t wait to sip on one

11. Michelle says:

I just made watermelon juice a couple of days ago and I was wondering to myself what would be the best approach for turning that into a cocktail. Thus far we have had watermelon martinis. I think your watermelon coolers sound like a real star. I’ll be trying this tonight.

12. melissa says:

Where did the glasses come from!! i want them!!

Hey Melissa! I think I got them at Pottery Barn, but it was a couple of years ago so I’m not sure if they’re still selling them. They are awesome glasses!

13. Stacy says:

I added a little club soda. Yummy perfect for today

14. Evelyn says:

I just made these yesterday! But I add a few strawberries …then strain the seeds out….and put muddled mint and a good quality Vodka. (Tito’s Vodka is my favorite)

15. Rachel says:

This looks wonderful. I was wondering if you’ve tried it after freezing the watermelon chunks first? In order to make it more of a slushie.

Also, what other alcohol would taste good with this mixture? I’m not too keen on rum.

Thank you for your wonderful recipes! They are a blessing to us!

Shalom!

16. Lisa Adian says:

I can hardly get enough of these amazing wonderful ideas and recipes…..thank you very much!