Marinated Fish Skewers

As you’ve probably figured out right now, I love to grill. In sunny California, there’s nothing better than throwing a meal on the grill and sipping a cold cocktail as the sun goes down. Sometimes I’m a grilling mood, but I want something light… especially on really hot summer nights. These Marinated Fish Skewers fit the bill.

This marinade includes many of my favorite spices, which are also some of the most common spices used in Middle Eastern Sephardic Jewish cooking. Combined with lemon juice in a marinade, they bring lots of aromatic flavor to the fish. Cooking them on a smoky grill adds even more deliciousness. To stretch the meat, you can alternate the fish with onion or pepper slices on the skewer. Choose a firm white fish that won’t flake or fall apart too easily on the grill. Try not to marinate the fish for longer than two hours, or the citrus in the lemon juice will start to break down the meat, which will make it more delicate on the grill.

These skewers are a great option for a Labor Day barbecue. In fact, I might just grill some up this weekend! Serve them with tzatziki or tahini sauce for even more flavor; they also go great with my Grilled Lemon Butter Zucchini. Enjoy!

Organic Olive Oil from Israel

Citrus Juicer

Garlic Crusher

Marinated Fish Skewers

• 1 1/2 lbs firm white fish (seabass, halibut, snapper)
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp fresh minced cilantro (you may sub fresh parsley)
  • 2 crushed garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • Sliced lemon wedges
  • Chopped cilantro for garnish (if desired)
Prep Time: 2 Hours
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours 10 Minutes
Servings: 4 skewers
  • Cut the fish into 1 ½ inch chunks for skewering.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro, crushed garlic, paprika, salt, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne pepper.
  • Place fish chunks in a glass dish. Pour marinade over the fish chunks and stir to coat.
  • Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator and let the fish marinate for 30 minutes. If using wood skewers, soak them in water while the fish is marinating. This will keep them from burning on the grill.
  • Preheat your grill. Skewer the fish chunks, evenly divided between four wooden skewers.
  • Generously grease the grill. Place the skewers on the grill and cook for about 10 minutes total, turning once during cooking, till the edges are browned and the fish is cooked through. A bit of the fish might stick to the grill-- the less you turn them, the less this will happen.
  • Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired. Serve with sliced lemon wedges. These go great with Tzatziki and my Grilled Lemon Butter Zucchini.

Category: Entrees, Finger Foods and Dips, Gluten Free, Healthy, In the Kitchen, Nut Free, Pareve, Recipes, Shavuot, Slide Show, Tomato Free

1. Diana Long says:

Look delicious!

2. Spinny says:

The marinade is a match made in heaven…love the grill marks. I’ll add this one to the bucket list!

Spinny, next time I’m in your neck of the woods we’re grlling together on that beautiful new Memphis of yours! Put that on the bucket list, too. ;)

3. Kim Bee says:

One of these days I am going to come visit you so you can teach me how to grill this well. This looks so good. Fish skewers, so amazing. Great marinade.

4. Tori, what a savvy accompaniment to your grilled zucchini. Your photography and presentation are impeccable! You can never have too much fresh parsley…

5. Ann says:

Looks delicious! I would have to use chicken due to a seafood allergy, but I think the flavor combo would work…which is good because I adore cilantro!

6. Liz says:

What a yummy meal! I love the flavors in your kebabs…and that grilled zucchini looks perfect! Happy holiday weekend!

7. Tina@flourtrader says:

The seasoning you used here compliments the fish quite well and this recipe does look fairly easy to do. Awesome pics & well done.

8. Ramona says:

This looks delicious and so healthy. I love dinners like this that you can eat without feeling an ounce of guilt. Beautiful pictures and an awesome meal. : )

9. Pingback: The Shiksa Picks – Tori’s Favorite Web Finds 9.2.11

10. Kita says:

I could totally go for some grilled fish right about now! These sound amazing!

11. Kristy says:

Look at those perfect grill marks! I love it. This meal looks perfect for summer – especially when it’s too hot to cook inside. And I especially love the cumin in the mix. Delicious!

12. I am for grilled food from morning till the night:)) Your fish look soo soo good! You did such a great job!!!

13. Curt says:

Those look absolutely delicious. I’m going to have to try that. I’ve grilled a lot of fish, but never on skewers like that.

14. Robin says:

Can I make this with an indoor grill pan? Any advice?

Yes! They won’t have exactly the same smoky/lightly charred flavor, but they’ll still be tasty. Make sure you grease the grill pan before adding the fish to avoid sticking. Enjoy!

15. Leanne says:

Yummy! We enjoyed them very much