Cream Cheese Candies

Growing up, my family celebrated Easter every year. We were not religious, so the holiday was celebrated traditionally rather than spiritually. The Easter holiday meant egg hunts, family brunches, and lots of candy. I relished the Easter season and all that came with it– warm weather, frilly dresses and bonnets, Easter bunnies and outdoor egg hunts (that’s me, above, in one of my many Easter frocks). Searching for those colorful eggs was thrilling. And of course, the best part was indulging in all of those sweet Easter treats… chocolate bunnies, cakes, brownies, and “peeps.”  :)

Speaking of sweets, here is one of my favorite family candy recipes. These lovely treats are super easy to make. They’re incredibly creamy, rich and delicious. You can flavor them any way you fancy. Traditionally my family uses peppermint flavoring to make them minty, but I’ve also made them using vanilla butter flavoring, banana, coconut, and lemon. You can flavor each color differently, if you like. I especially love how colorful they are… they remind me of all those delectable Easter treats growing up. What fun!

These candies can be made for lots of different holidays. I like to make them with blue food coloring at Hanukkah and in vibrant color blends (purple, orange) for Purim. They’re a fun gift to bring to a wedding or baby shower, and they’d make a festive addition to any dairy holiday table.

If you’re still keeping kosher for Passover, as I am, and you want to make this treat before the end of the holiday, be sure to check out the Passover note below.

Happy Easter to all of our friends who are celebrating today. Enjoy!  :)

Kosher Certified Icing Colors Set

Heavy Saucepan

Cream Cheese Candies

• 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
  • 4-5 cups powdered sugar (see Passover note)
  • 1 tsp flavoring - peppermint, vanilla butter, lemon, banana, etc.
  • Food coloring

Passover Note

• If making during Passover, make sure your packaged ingredients are certified kosher for Passover. Passover powdered sugar (aka confectioner's sugar) can be tough to find. You can make your own by combining 4 cups granulated sugar with 2 tbsp potato starch in a blender – blend on high speed for 3-4 minutes until powdery.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: 48-52 candies
Kosher Key: Dairy, Kosher for Passover (see note)
  • Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add cream cheese and stir till softened and partially melted into the butter.
  • Turn off the heat. Add 4 cups of the powdered sugar to the pan and stir to form a soft sugary dough. If the dough seems to liquid or loose, slowly add more sugar till it firms up-- it should be firm enough to mold and shape. If making only one flavor, add 1 tsp of flavoring to the dough (or more to taste) and stir well.
  • Divide dough into four equal portions. If making more than one flavor, add 1/4 tsp of flavoring (or more to taste) to each separate portion of dough and stir well.
  • Color the dough by adding a few drops of food coloring to each portion of dough. For a pastel color, use 2-3 drops of food coloring per portion. For more vibrant color, add more drops.
  • Shape the candies into round disks of about 1/2 tbsp each. Score them on top with a fork, if desired.
  • Allow to dry on parchment or wax paper for a few hours until the candies set. Store candies in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

Category: Baked Goods and Brunch Fare, Dairy, Desserts, Gluten Free, In the Kitchen, Nut Free, Recipes, Slide Show, Tomato Free, Vegetarian

1. Candus Friend says:

Can these be made with splenda instead of powder sugar?

Candus– I’ve never tried them with Splenda, but the sugar really needs to have a powdery consistency for these to work well. You could try blending 4 cups Granulated Splenda together with 2 tbsp potato starch in the food processor or blender till powdery. It might work, but no promises, as I haven’t tried it myself. If you try it let me know how it goes! :)

• coryn albright says:

Can these be flavored and colored using koolaide mix?

2. Eileen Bennett says:

Thank you for this lovely recipe. I made them and they
    flew off the plate. How simple and wonderful.

So happy this recipe brings back memories for all of you, as it does for me! :)

Eileen, I’m very impressed that you tried them already. Aren’t they delish??

3. Janelle says:

yum…these were soooo popular when I was growing up in Iowa during the 70′s. A stand-by at wedding receptions, usually they would be pressed into a mold that looked like a rose, and if I remember correctly, they were usually sparkly/crunchy on the outside, as if they had been rolled in granulated sugar before being molded. If I saw these on the reception table I would devour them.

• Cheryl says:

Yes, I remember them from the 70′s too! My mom used to make them a lot. I also remember them being pressed into a rose mold. I’m from Illinois:)

4. Susan says:

They’re so cute…..who would believe they’re so easy! I’m definitely going to make them SOON!! Thanks for the recipe!

5. Emme C says:

I TOTALLY forgot about these!!! Thanks for taking me back. :^}

6. Robert Behar says:

Oh Tori, good memories! Thanks!!!

You are so welcome! Glad this brought back some fun memories for you guys.

FYI, yesterday a blog reader had a problem with the dough turning out too runny. If any of you have trouble with this, simply add more sugar till the dough firms up enough to be molded into the shape you want. I’ve added this tip to the recipe.

7. Rhonda says:

I am wondering how the candies taste if I do not use any flavoring just food coloring?

Hi Rhonda– the candies are good without flavoring too, they just have a more pronounced cream cheese flavor. I prefer them with flavoring, they’re a bit on the simple side without it. Hope you enjoy them!

8. Lois K says:

Can these work for chocoholics, i.e., cocoa or melted chocolate?

Lois, you and my paternal grandmother share the same first name (which is pretty rare nowadays), so even though we’ve never met I like you! And even moreso because you’re a chocoholic! If you want to “chocolate” these up, I’d suggest using mint flavoring in the batter. After the candies set, dip them in chocolate coating, and you’ll have something very similar to a Junior Mint. Let me know how they turn out for you! :)

BTW, if you’re a true chocoholic, try these recipes, they’re exclusively for chocolate lovers:

link to theshiksa.com

link to theshiksa.com

Have a great weekend! :)

9. Nesrine says:

Cooooool..Tori, u loved my homemade butter, and I llllllloved your candies.. my kids will love it as well. thanks for the idea.

You’re very welcome Nesrine! Hope you enjoy them. If you have a chance to try them let me know how they turn out for you! :)

10. Cassie says:

Can you use the strawberry flavored cream cheese

Hey Cassie! You know what, I’ve never tried it that way but I bet it would be yummy! Just don’t add any additional flavoring, the strawberry in the cream cheese should flavor it nicely. Let me know how it works for you, I’m curious– if it’s good I’ll try it that way myself! :)

11. holly says:

They are great with orange flavoring :) !

12. Rebecca Salomon says:

Hi! This is the first time I’m commenting on a recipe although I’ve been a fan of your blog for a long time (big fan btw!) I’m actually just wondering if the first step to the recipe isn’t posted above – it seems that you skipped the beginning of the recipe (or is it just my browser?) and started from the step where the butter and cream cheese are already melted together.

Hi Rebecca, thank you so much for noticing that!! My site recently underwent an upgrade, and for some reason the first step of the recipe didn’t transfer over correctly. I have corrected the issue, you should see it now. So happy you’re enjoying the blog! :)

13. Amy says:

could i get away with making this with splenda instead of the powdered sugar,, i know it won’t make as good of a dough, if at all,, but i’m type 2 diabetic. I used to make potato candy years ago and did it the same way except with mashed potatoes. These look wonderful.

14. Amy M. says:

I LOVE these! And what a great treat for spring…never thought of them as anything but a wedding snack. Thanks for broadening my narrow mind!

15. Stella says:

Wow, Tori! These look so similar to the delicious pastel ones from Lammes Candies, a Texas tradition! I used to eat them all the time when I was little, too! I’m going to give these a try!

16. Meredith says:

Hi! This recipe looks great. Can these be made ahead of time and frozen? Or, how long can I keep them in the refrigerator before they go bad? I have a big party coming up where anything that can be made in advance would be the bomb!

17. Corrie says:

When I was in the 6th grade my teacher had us kids make candies for our families for the Christmas season. I remembered how fun it was to press brightly colored dough into holiday molds and I really remember how yummy the candy was. Lucky for me I also remembered asking my teacher why it was so good. She said it was the cream cheese and powdered sugar that made it good but I know she also added mint. I couldnt get enough. Its been 32 years now since then and i still think about those candies. Your recipe has to be the same one or at least very close. I can not wait to make these candies again with my kids for my family this year for Christmas. Thank you for sharing this.

Hi Corrie! It sounds like a very similar recipe, but these candies are not meant for molds, they are too soft and they will not “unmold” (unless the molds are very flexible, like silicone… even then, it might be difficult). That said, if you try shaping them in molds, let me know how it goes!

• Bonny says:

I’m wondering if instead of molds, you could use a cookie stamp. If the ball of candy was rolled in sugar, and then stamped, maybe you could remove the stamp without it sticking too badly – or place a small square of saran wrap on top of the candy before pressing with the stamp. Don’t know if this would work, just a suggestion.

18. courtney says:

when i was a child, these awesome candies were at my grandparents 50th wedding anniversity. i love these candies, as i ate to meny and ended up in the hospital that night. now that im older and pay attention to my health, im sure i can judge my sweet tooth a little better then i could back then. everything in moderation i say. lol thanks for the flash back.

19. Tracy says:

Do you think if I add espresso powder when over heat it will become a yummy coffee cream candy?

20. Kathleen says:

These look delish! I’m having a wedding shower for my niece and am wondering if you think these would go well. We are having a huge cupcake display for desert but I thought this would add a nice alternative for people who don’t like cupcakes plus they are so colorful. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

21. Sonja K. says:

I wonder if I could use one of the frosting tubes to make shapes, or if it would be too crumbly…

22. kristy says:

Can these be frozen? , also if using as a wedding favor are they ok to not be refrigerated?

23. Vicki says:

I used to make these for my kids all the time, but with a couple slight differences. First, I didn’t melt the butter which is genius!!! And second, I used koolaid for flavor and color. The kids love them! I think tomorrow I should make a batch to see how easy it is this way.

24. Rachelle says:

HI! Thank you for the recipe! I’m 29 years old and my mom used to make these for me when I was a kid, and I LOVED them. I totally forgot about them until I saw the recipe, and I immediately went and made some in all different colors and flavors, although I think my mom only used to make them peppermint flavored. My husband is in for a surprise when he gets home! Thanks again!

25. Amy says:

These look delicious, do you think I can make them ahead and freeze them? (Just thinking about time savers for my daughter’s birthday). Thanks!

26. Tom says:

Might try cinnamon with Christmas coming up. I do like the mint with chocolate idea too.

27. Xan says:

Made these, but they did not turn out right and are more like a pile of frosting than a candy. Not sure what I did wrong.

Hi Xan, you probably did not add enough powdered sugar. The recipe calls for 4-5 cups, but you can add as much as necessary to make the dough firm enough for handling. Hope this helps!

28. alyson says:

I have a birthday cake I need to make and I’m wondering if instead of using fondant for the bow if I could shape this into a bow? I really don’t like fondant and would like to try something new.

• Bonny Lee says:

alyson,
      I tried to reply to your question, but I couldn’t get the reply link to work. What I would suggest, for your bow, is either making it out of a chocolate clay (adding corn syrup to melted chocolate), or what I try to do is use a real ribbon on my cakes. I think the real thing always looks better than the imitation. The chocolate clay is very easy to use, and I sculpt roses, leaves, and other decorations with it all the time. For the recipes and instructions on how to make the chocolate clay, refer to a wonderful site (the best I’ve come across) at
      link to hungryhappenings.com You can see flowers and other things she’s made that are absolutely gorgeous. Let me know if this helps. (You can use real chocolate, or the candy melts that Wilton makes, if you want a color.)

29. Janet says:

I was given a recipe that has no butter. Just cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and flavor.

It also said freeze for up to 2 months. Could the butter make the difference?

30. Sarah says:

Does anyone know how many of each color this batch makes?

31. Janet says:

If the recipe makes 48 or so, divide it by the amount of colors you use.

I got about 60 total candies and only made green.