Here’s a quick and easy Passover-friendly dish that my family loves. This simple marinated chicken is infused with the flavor of lemon, garlic, and chili powder. Chili flakes add a touch of heat; you can add more or less depending on how spicy you like it. As written, the spice in this chicken is fairly mild. 4 tsp of chili flakes would make it spicy. If you’re super sensitive to spice, just use 1 tsp. I prefer bone-in chicken pieces; roasting them in the marinade produces a tender, juicy result. You can debone the meat after roasting if you prefer. And yes, folks, it’s gluten free. Enjoy!
Any purchase you make from The Shiksa Market helps to support my website, my recipes, and the free content I provide. If you have an Amazon login, it’s even easier to make a purchase. Thanks for browsing!
- 4-5 lbs. chicken pieces, bone in, skin on
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large fresh lemons
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder (mild)
- 2 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
You will also need
- roasting pan or dish, plastic wrap, brush, aluminum foil
- Place chicken pieces in a single layer on the bottom of a roasting pan or dish. Sprinkle pieces generously with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, zest the two lemons. Cut them in half and juice them into the bowl. Add olive oil, garlic, chili powder and chili pepper flakes. Whisk together all ingredients till well combined.
- Brush the chicken pieces generously with the marinade till evenly coated. Pour remaining marinade over the top of the pieces.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours (no longer, or the acid in the lemon juice will break down the chicken meat).
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Remove the plastic wrap and cover the roasting pan or dish tightly with foil. Cut a few slits in the foil around the edges to vent.
- Place chicken in the oven and cook for about 1 hour, until the juices run clear and internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F. Remove the foil and raise the oven temperature to 425 degrees F. Cook the chicken for about 10 more minutes until it is nicely browned and the skin is crisp.