Autumn Apple Crisp

Today we are celebrating the Autumnal Equinox, which ushers in my favorite season of the year – Autumn. It also happens to be the first full day of Sukkot, one of my favorite Jewish holidays. I’m celebrating both of these occasions by posting my Autumn Apple Crisp recipe. Yummy!

As the cool, crisp fall weather approaches, I find myself craving apples and cinnamon-spices. Something about this combination says “fall” to me. Take a batch of warm, freshly baked apples and cover them with crumbly oats and brown sugar… are you hungry yet?? Top the whole thing with melty vanilla ice cream or luscious whipped cream, and you’ve got a totally drool-worthy dessert. It will make a fantastic addition to your Sukkot menu or any other holiday meal.

This recipe is simple to make and SO delicious. Apples are in season now, so it’s a great time to find cheap, quality fruit at your local grocery store or farmer’s market. For the filling, I like to use a combination of green and red apples (like Granny Smith and Macintosh); the sweetness and tartness of the two varieties really compliment each other. Feel free to use whatever apples you have on hand, though. It’s a great way to use up those extra apples from your backyard tree.

My Autumn Apple Crisp can be made either dairy or pareve depending on your preference. Kosher diners who are serving this after a meat meal will want to keep the recipe pareve; to do this, use a dairy-free margarine in place of butter and make sure that any toppings you choose are also dairy-free. I frequently make this dish pareve and it always turns out great.

Note: If using margarine in this recipe, make sure it has at least 65% vegetable oil in the mix. I like to use organic Earth Balance spread, but any brand will do as long as it’s got enough vegetable oil in the mix.

Kosher Organic Brown Sugar

Food Processor

Ceramic Pie Dish

AUTUMN APPLE CRISP

2 ½ lbs. apples (about 8)—peeled, cored, and sliced
¼ cup white granulated sugar
2 tsp cinnamon, divided
¼ tsp nutmeg
Dash of ground cloves
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup walnuts or pecans (or mix of both)
1 cup rolled oats
¼ cup all purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar
Pinch of salt
5 tbsp butter or dairy-free margarine, cold
Nonstick cooking spray

You will also need: 9” pie dish, food processor

Optional toppings: Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream; pareve vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.

Serves 6-8
Kosher Key
: Dairy or Pareve

CLICK HERE TO PRINT RECIPE

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 1 ½ tbsp of water with the white sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and vanilla extract to form a thick liquid. Put apples slices into the bowl and stir with a large spoon till apples are evenly coated with sugar and spices. Spray pie dish with cooking spray, then pour spiced apples and any excess liquid into the dish. Set aside.

Fit your food processor with a blade attachment. Pulse nuts in processor till roughly chopped (don’t over-process). Add rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, 1 tsp of cinnamon, and butter or margarine. Pulse all ingredients together until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Mold this topping over the apples in the pie dish, fully covering the apples with the oat mixture.

Cover dish with foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Remove foil from the dish and bake for another 20-30 minutes until the top is golden brown and the edges are bubbly. Serve warm. This dessert does not have a defined “crust;” just mound each serving onto a dessert plate, making sure that each plate has equal amounts of both apple filling and crisp.

I highly recommend served this dish alamode with vanilla ice cream for extra yum-factor. If you want to keep the recipe pareve, you can top it with kosher dairy-free ice cream or non-dairy whipped topping.

Mmmmmm, yummers!

Category: Baked Goods and Brunch Fare, Dairy, Desserts, Healthy, In the Kitchen, Pareve, Recipes, Sukkot, Tomato Free

1. Rebecca K. says:

This looks so good! My mom used to make apple crisp with butter. I keep kosher now with my husband, so thanks for posting the pareve instructions. They make some pretty decent dairy free whip creams, perfect for this.

2. Manny Rodriguez says:

U r makin me hungry shiksa!

3. Daniella Smith says:

I usually use granny smith for my apple crisp, but I bet it would be good with a mix of two like you suggested. Also love the addition of nuts, probably adds more of that crispiness to the top that I love. I’ll try your version this weekend. =)

4. Orly says:

Great idea for Sukkot, todah motek

5. Karen Ferris says:

I heart the Shiksa!!! Nom nom nom, nummy! lol <3

6. GillyGirl says:

I’m trying to diet, but it’s so hard when I see pics like these! haha my mouth is watering

7. Leann says:

Vanilla Tofutti is a delicious non-dairy alternative to ice cream. It can be found at both Whole Foods and most kosher markets – at least in Connecticut where I live.

8. Katie says:

I’m allergic to both walnuts and pecans…is there a substitution that you’d suggest or would it be fine to just leave out the nuts?

9. Cathi Smith says:

I was just wondering if I’m allowed to “share” on FaceBook when I like a recipe. I was thinking it would get my friends interested in your site from time to time.
    Cathi Smith

10. Tori Avey says:

Please do, Cathi! I love it when people share my recipes, they are there to be enjoyed. It also helps to spread the word about our growing community online. Just be sure to link to either my Facebook fan page (which will happen if you click “share” on any link I post) or to my website, http://www.theshiksa.com. Thanks for the support! :)

11. Gina says:

I am not Jewish, but I love your blog and recipes – especially the alternative ingredient ideas…

12. Francine says:

Your recipe looks amazing. Can you make this in a 9×13 pyrex? If so, would you adjust the ingredients? Many thanks!

13. Lesley says:

Hi, can I make this in a 8×8 pan and do I change the recipe? Looks good. Thanks

14. Rachel B says:

You don’t list the water in the ingredients list. Is that an oversight?

Hi Rachel– no, no oversight. Water is something that everybody has in their kitchen– it’s not something you would need to go out and buy at a grocery store. Because of this, it’s usually left off of recipe ingredient lists, unless it has a specific quality to it– such as “boiling water” or “lukewarm water.” Some people do include it in their ingredients, but I choose not to. Hope that makes sense!

15. Chrissy says:

This was amazing! I didn’t have the nuts on hand to add but still tasted great. Next time I will add the nuts. YUM

16. Andrea says:

This looks delicious! I’d like to add cranberries. I love that this recipe doesn’t seem too sweet, but would sugar need to be adjusted with addition of cranberries? Any other adjustments do you think? Thanks!

Hi Andrea– cranberries cook up quite tart, so yes I would add some extra sugar. Offhand I’m not sure how much– perhaps start with an additional 1/4 cup granulated sugar, then taste the apple/cranberry mixture. Add more sugar to taste if it needs it. Enjoy!

17. Paulette says:

Would this freeze well? I want to bake it tonight and save for Shabbat.

Hi Paulette, I have never frozen this so I’m not sure. It may turn out a bit more “crumbly” after freezing, but it’s that kind of dessert anyway, so I’m guessing it won’t be a big problem. If you give it a try let us know!