Strawberry Topping

This is my simple, go-to strawberry topping recipe for blintzes, cheesecake, pancakes– basically anything that needs a sweet and juicy berry topping. Strawberries are in season now, so it’s a great time to find beautiful (and affordable) ripe berries at your local market. When strawberries aren’t in season, you can use frozen berries instead– just let them thaw and chop them up before measuring. Yummy!

Passover Note: If you’re serving this topping at Passover and you’re avoiding kitniyot, use potato starch instead of cornstarch.

Recommended Products

Kosher Organic Sugar

Saucepan

Strawberry Topping

• 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch or potato starch (for Passover, use potato starch)
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: 10
  • Put chopped strawberries and sugar into a small saucepan. Add 1/3 cup water to cover, stir to blend. Heat mixture over medium high heat until it boils. Stir, then reduce heat to medium.
  • Mix cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water until a thick liquid forms.
  • Pour the liquid into the pan, stirring continuously, and continue to stir until well blended. Cook the strawberry mixture over medium for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until it becomes thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
  • You can serve the topping as-is with a chunky texture, or puree it smooth with an immersion blender. You can also puree it halfway, so that it’s almost smooth but still has some texture.
  • Use for anything that requires a sweet strawberry topping- cheesecake, ice cream sundaes, waffles, or my personal favorite, cheese blintzes!

Category: Breakfast, Condiments, Desserts, Gluten Free, In the Kitchen, Nut Free, Passover - Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Ashkenazi, Passover - Gluten Free Sephardic, Passover - Sephardic, Passover - Vegan Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegan Sephardic, Passover - Vegetarian Ashkenazi, Passover - Vegetarian Sephardic, Recipes, Sauces, Shavuot, Tomato Free, Vegetarian

1. Pingback: Blintzes | The Shiksa Blog

2. Erika says:

I’ve now made this strawberry topping for cheesecake, waffles, and icecream. Very easy and very good. And I think my boyfriend thinks I’m like magic in the kitchen:)

3. I just made a vanilla bean cheesecake and this is going to the basis for the topping. Thanks for sharing!!

4. Emma says:

Just made this for a cheese cake topping. Taste great!!! Everybody loves it specially hubby. Thanks!!!!

5. mandi says:

i am putting this on my pancakes this morning to use up some strawberries. great recipe! :)

6. Elizabeth says:

Hi
    sounds super easy and tasty!!!!
    can I put this topping in the freezer? will be same?

7. elyse says:

my boyfriend is kosher.. I think he is going to love these
    will try it this weekend

8. Valerie says:

Sounds delicious and am going to make it now but I do have a question… what is the shelf life; how long does this sauce last in the fridge?

9. Sharon says:

Although my husband & I keep a kosher home, tonight we are having Italian xmas eve feast at his brother’s house. They are all amazing cooks, and I am really excited took bring my home made cheese cake with this gorgeous and delicious topping. Thank you for the recipe. If I can make it (and I did!) Then it is literally fool proof,

10. Cari says:

THIS WAS DELICIOUS!!

@Valerie… I wouldn’t worry about the shelf life of this. It’s so delicious, it wouldn’t last long enough in any household to actually go bad. I was honestly eating spoonfuls of this alone. So was everyone else in my house. I had made it to top some “mini cheesecakes” with. I put them in the fridge and the bowl of the topping separately in the fridge, and every time anyone in the house went in the fridge to grab a cheesecake cup, they would put one spoonful on the cheesecake, and follow it with one spoonful in their mouth… myself included.

11. Shayna says:

I am making a 65th birthday party for my husband on Sunday. I just made 75 blintzes and decided to try the sauce. It took me exactly 15 minutes. Looks and smells yummy. can’t wait to have everyone try it.