Cheese Blintzes

Chag Sameach and Happy Shavuot to all of you! Continuing with our dairy theme, here is another Shavuot favorite–the blintz. A blintz is a thin crepe-like pancake filled with cheese. Blintzes are pretty easy to make, and they’re one of the most delicious things EVER (in my humble opinion). If you’ve never made a blintz, this blog will walk you through the process.

My blintz recipe includes vanilla in both the blintz and the filling, which gives it a delectable flavor and aroma. You can actually eat these blintzes without the cheese filling (if you cook them on both sides), they are pretty tasty on their own. I prefer them stuffed with cheese! For the blintz filling I use a blend of lowfat ricotta cheese and cream cheese. If you’re watching your fat intake, try subbing nonfat ricotta and Neufchatel cheese. The blintzes are sweet, but not overly sweet. They’re perfect for breakfast or brunch.

For my Strawberry Topping recipe, click here. These blintzes are great both with topping and without. Enjoy!

Note: When I originally published this post, a reader gave me a tip to only cook the blintzes on one side before stuffing, which saves a substantial amount of prep time. I’ve been making them that way ever since! I’ve updated the blog with new photos to reflect this process. Thanks for the tip Phyllis!

Recommended Products

Non-Stick Skillet

Grapeseed Oil

Citrus Juicer

Cheese Blintzes

Blintz Ingredients

• 4 eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Pinch of salt
  • Nonstick cooking oil spray
  • Vegetable oil with a high smoke point for frying (grapeseed or peanut oil works best)

• Nonstick skillet

Filling Ingredients

• 1 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
  • 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Pinch of salt
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Servings: 8-9 blintzes
Kosher Key: Dairy
  • Blend all of the blintz ingredients together using a food processor, blender, immersion blender or electric hand mixer. Consistency of the batter should be smooth (no lumps). Alternatively, you can use a fork to mix all ingredients together until the batter is smooth. Make sure you get rid of all the lumps.
  • Warm up a nonstick skillet on medium heat until hot. The skillet is ready when a drop of water sizzles on the surface of the pan. If the water pops or jumps out of the pan, the skillet it too hot—let it cool slightly before starting. If the water sizzles, it’s at the perfect temperature. Grease the entire surface of the hot pan generously with nonstick cooking oil spray (keep the oil spray away from gas stovetop flame).
  • Pour the blintz batter by 1/3 cupfuls into the pan, then tilt the pan in a circular motion till the batter coats the entire bottom of the pan in a large, thin circular shape.
  • Let each blintz cook for 60-75 seconds until the edges of the blintz brown and the bottom of the blintz is lightly golden. You can tell it's ready by touching the center of the pancake's surface-- it should be dry and slightly tacky to the touch. Do not flip the blintz to cook the other side. Use a spatula to take the blintz out of the pan and place it on a plate.
  • Keep the blintzes separated by pieces of parchment paper, wax paper, or paper towels. This will help keep them from sticking together.
  • When all of the blintzes are cooked, create your filling. Put all of the filling ingredients into a mixing bowl, then use a fork to mix them well. Filling should be well blended but slightly lumpy.
  • Now you’re going to stuff and wrap up your blintzes! Put 3 tbsp of filling on the lower part of the blintz, about an inch from the edge.
  • Fold the lower edge of the blintz up over the filling.
  • Fold the sides of the blintz inward, as though you’re folding an envelope.
  • Roll the blintz up and over the filling like a burrito, tucking the edges in as you roll.
  • When the blintzes are stuffed and rolled, you are ready to fry them. Pour ¼ cup of vegetable oil into the skillet and heat over medium until hot. Do not let the oil turn brown or start smoking—if this happens, discard the oil and try again. Cook the blintzes in batches of 3--this will give you space to turn them easily in the pan. Carefully place the stuffed blintzes flap-side down into the hot oil. The blintzes should fry for 1 ½ to 2 minutes until they’re brown and crispy.
  • Turn the blintzes carefully using a spatula and/or tongs, then fry for an additional 1 ½ - 2 minutes. Blintzes should be evenly browned on both sides.
  • Serve blintzes warm. They can be served as-is or topped with fruit topping, sour cream, applesauce, whipped cream or maple syrup.

Category: Baked Goods and Brunch Fare, Breakfast, Dairy, Deli Favorites, Desserts, In the Kitchen, Recipes, Shavuot, Side Dishes, Tomato Free, Vegetarian, Yom Kippur Break Fast

1. That looks great, thanks for sharing :)

2. Clever, and makes such sense..only cooking the crepes on one side, filling and then making the blintz! I can almost taste them already!

3. Mike Janning says:

I love blintzes. Too bad I am now on a very-low-carb diet.

4. Zina Carroll says:

My mother and mother in law used to use Farmer’s Cheese and the filling was a little less loose and more firm, have you ever heard of a recipe using Farmer’s Cheese?

5. Ayayaaaay! Soooo deeeelicious! Thanks Shiksa for sharing this recipe..

6. I´ll make some–*(I´ll be a first-timer. You can learn a lot about people from the food they eat)

7. the best thing about a Jewish community around you, is the food and so much of it, for so many holidays! Glad I like the old testament so much, I wanna eat Jew foods!

8. must make these asap…….look great. Shabbat Shalom

9. Sean Carr says:

I haven´t had a blintz in ages

10. Pam Cone says:

This looks delicous. I was curious if you had any other recommendations for fillings? I am not a huge creme cheese fan. I like sweet or savory fillings. Thank you for the great website. I like your recipes more than my Jewish cookbooks.

11. Leah says:

I made them today, just substituting powdered sugar for regular in the filling. So simple and sooo delicious! Thanks!

12. graham says:

Would you mind if I used this recipe and photos in a small cook book I am putting together. I will of course credit you

graham

13. Ruth says:

I have made these a couple of times. My family and breakfast guests loved them! They were fun to make. I used the blueberry sauce from your cheesecake recipe because I didn’t have any strawberries.

14. Dani says:

These look fantastic! I’m just wondering…the part where you cook one side–before you’ve filled them–could this be done ahead of time and refridgerated?

Hi Dani- I think you probably could, as long as you keep the blintzes separated by wax paper or parchment so they don’t stick together. I would let them return to room temperature before assembling and frying.

15. Deb says:

These are similar to something my hubby’s mother made called ‘grosse pankuchen’ and the pictures are divine. She and I never thought of refrying them. I will have to try this!

16. Donnie Jones says:

I never ate a blintz before. I’ve seen them on menus before but never tried them as I don’t care for sweet breakfast dishes. I am interested in having them after I partake in legal marijuana while watching the tube. I never knew they were a Jewish dish either. Food culture intrigues me. I’m going to give this a go. Thanks.

17. Hannah Carney says:

I followed the recipe exactly but the consistency of the filling is nothing like the picture. When cut open they leaked everywhere. They are supposed to be more solid inside.

Hi Hannah, these blintzes have a soft filling, but it shouldn’t be runny. I’m not sure where you went wrong, many other readers have had a positive experience with this recipe. If you’re looking for a more solid filling recipe (which some people prefer), try this filling instead: link to theshiksa.com

18. Arlene says:

Loved reading your recipe for blintzes. Just wanted to get some different takes on the ingredients for the batter (some use milk, salt, etc.). My mother’s recipe was similar to yours, including cooking the “crepe” on one side only. She would have a dish towel spread out on the counter. As she made each “blintze cover”, she would flip the finished product onto the dish towel, let it set for a couple of minutes (if I didn’t steal it for my own eating pleasure) and then continue filling and folding. Makes me feel very nostalgic just writing about it. Time for me to make the blintzes. Thanks for your website and helpful hints. Happy Chanukah !!!

19. john la berge says:

THANK YOU, the first and last times i ate a REAL HOMEMADE HANDMADE blintz was in 1974. for the last 39 years i have looked for anything that would approach the look taste and expression of love of cooking and the love of a wife for hewr husband. after having beeb crushed by a runaway truck i was forced to work fixing parking meters for a suburb of toronto, on the run were two small familt variety stores, the first was worked by ben and sophie pomerantz, she KNEW how to make apple sauce cheese filled blintzes but only for knosh when the weather was real bad; to go with them she “helped” ben make the coffee to go with them. nearly 40 years have passed since i shed tears after her kadish was heard today as i send this they are both in sorrow and in thanks. yours truly john a.k.a d’ ber
    p.s. it was them and te couple who owned what was a party supply store who taught e to accept how the surgeon put what was left of my face back together used all he had left to work with so if other people who looked at me as a freak ( you couln’t count the number of times a day that happened) could / would not accept i had learned to live with it why couldn’t / wouldn’t hey was thier problem not mine is this not another reason for tears of thanks?

20. Mary Ellen Nokovich says:

I made these yummy things this AM. I had a real mess bacause my filling was way to thin. For what ever reason no matter how low I went w/the temperature it just spattered all over evrything because the runny filling was coming out everywhere. They still were very good to eat. I didn’t make them all, as the mess was getting to me. What did I do wrong? I followed the recipe exactly, except that I used a hand mixer on the filling, was they the WROMG way to mix it. AND I thought 2 t. lemon juice was too much as well. Help!

Hi Mary Ellen, this filling is a bit thinner than some other blintz fillings, if you’re used to a thicker one try the filling that accompanies this recipe instead: link to theshiksa.com It contains no lemon juice, so if you disliked that flavor you will probably like this filling better.

21. Rickie says:

I’ve been hankerin’ these since our local places like Village Inn and IHOP quit serving them. Can’t figure out why. I love them with strawberries and sour cream on top with a side of beacon. I’m going to try these. Can’t wait! Thank you!