Challah Bread Pudding with Kahlua Cream Sauce

Okay, I’ll admit it… today’s blog is slightly naughty. There is nothing healthy about the recipe I’m presenting here, but it’s absolutely one of my favorite indulgences. I created this recipe to use up the extra challah bread from our Friday night Shabbat blessing, and it has become a family classic– a recipe that will be handed down in my family. Shabbat is the holiest of days, but this recipe is– in a word– sinful.  :)

I know some of my blog readers aren’t in love with raisins. If raisins aren’t your thing, feel free to substitute chocolate chips, which will give the pudding an extra bit of decadence. I photographed this blog using chocolate chips, but most of the time I make it with raisins. Either way is delicious.

Also, if you don’t want to add Kahlua to the sauce (though I highly recommend it!), you can double the amount of vanilla. For those of you who are strictly kosher, it can be tough to find Kahlua with a kosher hechsher. Imported Kahlua under the Spanish label was approved by Star K in 2008, but the standards sometimes change. If you’re concerned about this, just double the vanilla in the sauce– it will still taste fabulous.  :)

Shabbat Shalom!

Blog Update: See Tori cook Challah Bread Pudding on KRON 4 News Weekend.

Recommended Products

• 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp melted butter
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups raisins or chocolate chips (optional)

Kahlua Cream Sauce Ingredients

• 3 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 pint heavy whipping cream
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 tbsp Kahlua liqueur
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

• Electric mixer or immersion blender

Note

• It can be difficult to find Kahlua with a kosher hechsher. Imported Kahlua under the Spanish label was approved by Star K in 2008, but the standards can change. If you're concerned about this, simply double the vanilla in the sauce in place of kahlua.
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 1:15 - 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Total Time: 2 - 2 Hours 15 Minutes
Servings: 12 Servings
Kosher Key: Dairy
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Slice the challah bread into 1-inch cubes. You’ll need about 12 cups of loosely packed cubes. If you don’t have enough challah on hand, you can mix in any kind of light-colored bread to make up the difference (white, buttermilk, Hawaiian). Spread into a single layer on two cookie sheets, place in oven, and lightly toast the cubes for 7-8 minutes until they are dry and just beginning to brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
  • Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium. Toast the chopped walnut pieces, stirring constantly, until they begin the lighter colored parts of the walnut flesh begin to brown. Remove from heat.
  • In a very large mixing bowl, combine half and half, beaten eggs, sugar, brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and salt. Use an electric mixer or immersion blender to thoroughly blend all ingredients.
  • Pour the toasted challah cubes, chopped walnuts, and raisins into the liquid mixture. Stir all ingredients together for a couple of minutes until the bread cubes have soaked up most of the liquid. You may have to lightly mash some of the bread cubes down to make sure they’re fully immersed in liquid.
  • Generously grease a 9×13 baking dish or pan. Pour the bread pudding mixture into the dish, being sure to scrape any excess liquid from the bowl. Cover tightly with foil. Bake pudding at 350 degrees F for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours. Take off the foil after 1 hour to let the top brown.
  • The pudding is done when the top is brown and springy to the touch. The center of the pudding should be baked through, not liquid. Serve warm topped with Kahlua Cream Sauce.
  • To make the Kahlua Cream Sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add heavy whipping cream to the pan, whisking to blend with the butter.
  • Add egg, sugar, flour, nutmeg and salt to the pan. Whisk continuously for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Whisk in Kahlua and vanilla.
  • Serve warm atop freshly baked bread pudding.

Category: Baked Goods and Brunch Fare, Dairy, Desserts, In the Kitchen, Recipes, Shavuot, Tomato Free, Vegetarian, Yom Kippur Break Fast

1. Chrys says:

I am a huge fan of challah bread and cannot wait to make this recipe. I also love kalhua for its creaminess. It sounds like a terrific combo. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reporting it how it came out

2. Ari Bendavid says:

So good. Sooooooo good.

3. Krista says:

This is not fair, I’m on a low carb diet, you’re killing me! This looks totally amazing. Shabbat Shalom Shiksa!

4. leah b says:

oh wow this just looks– wow. can’t believe i didn’t find ur blog sooner, consider me ur #1 fan now. droolz.

5. ruthieS1960 says:

Oh wow can’t believe I missed this one on Friday, can’t wait to try this!!

6. Michael from Long Beach says:

Oy vey Girlie… DELISH!!!!! xoxo

7. Rebecca says:

This sounds amazing…and perfect for us, because I always end up with extra challah. Sometimes I forget to put it in the freezer, so I need ways to use it before it goes stale. Thanks so much!

8. Pingback: The Shiksa Blog

9. so wonderful to find your blog..thank you for sharing

10. Michelle says:

Chocolate chips are good if you don’t like raisins

11. Sharon says:

I am a diabetic but I still make things I can take a small taste of and give rest away to share. I love raisins & choc. chips. I will put small amt. of both.

12. Larry "Wizard" Siegfried says:

HickCup.. HickCup…. I think I added to much Kalhua…
    Oh Welll… As always Tori.. Delish… Shabbat Shalom…;-)

13. Fran says:

Sounds great. I wonder if I can make it pareve??? Substitute soy creamer?

14. Cyndi says:

Shiksa.. you are amazing! thanks for your recipes and insights.. we will try some of yor inspiration at our house this week! with love from the FiveTowns, NY!!!

15. Tori Avey says:

Fran, you could try subbing soy creamer, I think it would work fine! The sauce won’t be as creamy but it’s worth a shot. If you try it let me know how it works out for you!

Cyndi thank you so much! Enjoy the recipes. :)

16. Melissa says:

Hi! This looks delicious! Would it work if I made it a day before and warmed it up to serve? Thanks!

Hi Melissa! Yes, you can do that, just cover it in foil and heat at 350 for 15-20 minutes to warm it up. I do recommend you make the sauce fresh, though… It only takes a few minutes. Enjoy!

17. Shari says:

That recipe looks absolutely fabulous, but I would have to run for a week before and after. Could I use fat free Half and half?

Hi Shari! Yes, you can use fat free half and half to lighten things up. Don’t sub the heavy whipping cream in the sauce, though, as the creamy sauce really makes this dish. Let me know how it turns out for you!

18. Bread pudding is one of my favorite desserts. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.

19. This is exactly what I do with leftover challah! Always chocolate chips, never raisins for my crew (although I do love raisins myself). Sometimes other fruit, like bananas or, at this time of year, cherries. Mmmm, now I want some!

20. melanie tinsman says:

Hi Tori–
    I love your blogs and recipes although I too an a Shiksa. I have many Jewish friends and have a particular affectation for sweets. I unfortunately live in an area that I find to be less than
    “cosmopolitan” and lacking in cultural diversities. If i am unable to find Challah bread what would you suggest as a substitution??

Thanks. Melanie

Hi Melanie, no worries! You can substitute any kind of eggy, absorbent bread or brioche for the pudding– Hawaiian bread would work great. Any bakery should be able to recommend a fluffy, eggy bread substitute. Stay away from anything whole wheat or whole grain. :)

Or, if you’re feeling ambitious, you can make your own challah bread! Here are the links to my challah bread blogs:

link to theshiksa.com

link to theshiksa.com

21. Zoe says:

mmm, kahlua and chocolate chips. That’s a pretty neat twist on a traditional recipe. There are quite a few rather “decadent” Hungarian recipes, too but this sounds truly “naughty”:))))

22. Jane says:

I made a half batch in a 9×9 casserole because I had used half the loaf of challah bread for french toast. I didn’t have Kahlua so I used dark rum and it came out great! I also scraped some vanilla into both pudding and sauce as my husband is a vanilla bean nut. I used chocolate chips this time but will use raisins next time. Thanks for the idea

23. Cheryl Holbert says:

This recipe is incredibly delicious and very versatile! Last night I made it to share with friends in our chilly New England sukkah, using pumpkin challah and omitting the Kahlua sauce. I also substituted a good-quality soy creamer (for a friend who is lactose intolerant) for the half and half (and vegan margarine for the butter) which worked beautifully. Turns out it rained, so the sukkah felt a little soggy, but the bread pudding was SUBLIME and warmed us all up in no time!!!

24. Cheryl Holbert says:

Forgot to mention that I did add the toasted walnuts, along with chocolate chunks. The only issue I have now is how to avoid devouring the leftovers myself!

25. Sarah says:

Made this (using chocolate chips) for a Chanukah dinner party last night. Turned out that there were some bread-pudding doubters at the table. But everyone ate dessert and then voted that this was the best bread pudding they had ever had! Thank you! You always make me look great!

26. Mark says:

I usually have a rule that I don’t serve a recipe to guests before I try it on my own first. I broke that rule last night by trying this, but it turned out to be a big hit! One of my guests is Canadian and he explaind to me that bread pudding is big in Canada (I had no idea) and he loved it. I didn’t have raisins so I used dried cherries and dried cranberries. It came out great. I only made half a recipe of the cream sauce and that turned out to be enough. Thanks for the recipe!

27. Amy says:

Can I make a day ahead of my dear Jewish friends birthday? How should she re-heat, and can I make the Kaluha creme ahead of time as well and store in the fridge? And how should my friend reheat the cream as well?????

You can make the bread pudding ahead, but I do not recommend making the sauce ahead… it is best made and served fresh. Enjoy!

28. Elizabeth says:

Could the bread pudding be made ahead of time and frozen?

29. Erin says:

Have you ever used a different size pan? Just trying to decide if it was a deeper pan, would it cook properly? I don’t have a pretty 9×13, so was thinking of an oval pyrex (2.8 liter).

Depends on how deep the pan is. Cooking time will need to be adjusted, and if it’s very deep it may brown faster than it cooks through, so you may need to protect the top with foil as it cooks. Since I haven’t tested it in an oval pyrex I can’t give you more specific directions, if you try it let us know how it turns out!

30. Ann Domjan says:

Yes please yes please yes please!!!!

31. Yum tori! Last time I had bread pudding was new orleans at the commodores restaurant.

32. This is one of my top three recipes of yours!!!

33. ka… ka… kalua cream sauce?????? *cue angels singing*

34. This looks really good! It’s freezing here and that would work really nice with a hot cup of coffee!

35. OH Tori!! Another one of your “just too tempting to pass up” gems!

36. I’d like to order one of those – hold the challah & the cream (just kahlua, please :) )

37. I just put on 6k in calories looking at it…yum!!!

38. Sheryl Chism says:

Sounds wonderfully delicious!

39. A little more of that Kahlua would make a very shalom Shabbat!

40. You always make me hungry