Creamy Noodle Kugel

Nothing says “Jewish holidays” quite like a delicious slice of noodle kugel! Kugel is a quintessentially Jewish dish similar to a thick noodle casserole. Kugels can range from sweet to savory, dry to moist, dense to fluffy. Some people like it topped with cornflakes, some with graham crackers, some with cinnamon sugar. Some people like no topping at all, preferring to let the top noodle layer brown and harden to a crunchy texture.

No matter which way you like your kugel, a good basic recipe is important. This is my favorite go-to dairy noodle kugel recipe. It creates a sweet (but not cloying) kugel that is rich, creamy, moist and tasty. If you’ve never made kugel before, this is the recipe to start with. I encourage you to use this recipe as a guide. Experiment with it as much as you like. You can omit the raisins or pineapples, add dried fruit to the noodle mixture, add ricotta cheese in place of cottage cheese, change the topping or eliminate it completely. You can even substitute nonfat or sugar-free ingredients if you’re watching your waistline. The only limit is your imagination!

Note: I have improved and simplified this recipe since it was originally posted. I have increased the sugar for added sweetness, cut down on the amount of crumb topping, and subbed whole eggs for simplicity (originally it included both whole eggs and whipped egg whites– the whipping didn’t do much for the texture, so I got rid of that step). I am always working to improve on my recipes, and this one is no exception. If you prefer a less sweet kugel, you can cut the sugar to 3/4 cup (the amount originally posted). Enjoy!

Large Pot

Ceramic Baking Dish

Food Processor

Creamy Noodle Kugel

Kugel Ingredients

• 1 bag (16 oz.) wide egg noodles
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup sugar (use 1 1/4 cup for a sweeter kugel)
  • 2 packages (8 oz. each) lowfat cream cheese

• large pot, 3 quart or 9x13 baking dish, food processor or blender
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Servings: 12-15 servings
Kosher Key: Dairy
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add egg noodles, stir, and boil until tender. Drain. Melt 2 tbsp of butter in the hot noodles and stir to coat.
  • Place raisins in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let the raisins soak for 10 minutes while you are blending the creamy mixture (next step). Drain thoroughly.
  • In a food processor or blender, combine eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, cream cheese, cottage cheese and sour cream. Blend the ingredients until creamy.
  • Add creamy mixture to the noodles in the pot along with the drained raisins. Drain the pineapple chunks and dice them into small pieces, then add them to the pot. Stir all ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
  • Pour the noodles into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
  • Combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl to form a crumbly topping.
  • Sprinkle the topping evenly over the top of the kugel.
  • Cover dish with foil and place in the oven. Bake the kugel for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 20 minutes more until the top is golden brown.
  • May be served warm or cold; refrigerate if you don’t plan on serving it the same day you make it. If you want to reheat your kugel, place it in a 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes; it will warm up more evenly if you cut it into individual pieces prior to reheating.

Category: Dairy, Deli Favorites, Desserts, In the Kitchen, Nut Free, Shavuot, Side Dishes, Tomato Free, Vegetarian, Yom Kippur Break Fast

1. Leann says:

Sounds scrumptious! You will make a great Member of the Tribe. ;-)

2. wisconsin kid says:

Hey Tori
    Haven’t written in a while. Hope your holday was good! How do you think this would taste without the raisins? I don’t really like raisins.

3. Sounds a lot like the one my Mom makes! Yummy. As for toppings, I choose the cinnamon-sugar! It makes a great caramelized crunchy topping out of the noodles themselves. I mostly make pareve kugels as we serve them with meat meals. Here is a link to my pareve recipe. link to longandwinding.wordpress.com

Enjoy!

4. Norah L. says:

Hey Tori, long time follower, first time writer. This kugel sounds amazing! I’m not a big kugel fan cuz they usually turn out dry and boring. I’ve been looking for a creamy one that stays moist in the oven, looks like this one might work. You’re converting me! (kugel wise!) Best, Norah

5. janie says:

do you calculate nutritional information for your recipes? calories? carbs? etc.

6. michael from Long Beach says:

Um…okay…. Noodle kugel for dinner last night, noodle kugel for midnight snack, noodle kugel for breakfast this morning… yer killin’ me here! This is the most FABULOUSSSSSS DELICIOUSSSS kugel EVER!!!! OMG it’s so wrong. We are making such pigs of ourselves with this. Thank you again. How do you retain that girlish figure???

xo
    Michael

7. Tori Avey says:

Wisconsin, you don’t need to add raisins– but you might want to double the pineapple or increase the sugar if you’re going to omit them, since they add a nice sweetness to the kugel.

Phil, looks tasty! It’s always good to have a pareve version on hand, isn’t it?

Norah, awesome! Let me know how you like it. :)

Janie, I don’t include nutrition info on this site at the moment, but there are some nutrition calculators online that will let you input the ingredients to find the nutrition info. I may add that feature in the future, stay tuned. If you’re looking for a way to lighten this recipe a bit, try using egg beaters in place of whole eggs, baking Splenda in place of sugar, and nonfat cheeses/sour cream. I’ve tried the kugel with those modifications and it holds up pretty well (I haven’t tried Agave but I’m guessing it would work as a sweetener, too).

Michael, you are too cute. It’s not easy keeping the girlish figure while working on all these amazing recipes, let me tell you!!

8. Great recipe. I am going to try it out. Reminds me of the noodle kugel my grandma Nanny made. Thanks again for this blog

9. Pierro's mom says:

I have been looking for this recipe. thank you so much for this perfect one!
    by the way, those dishes are adorable? Where ever did you find them?

10. Tori Avey says:

Pierro’s Mom– Just saw this message, so sorry it took me a while to respond! The dishes are from Sur La Table. :)

11. ckayakdude says:

Your recipes all sound so good, but I’ve never had the opportunity to make one. I’m gonna make this one, though … I’m on tap for break fast Saturday night. Got a good blintz recipe???

12. Socorro says:

I can’t wait to try it!

13. Richard Cohen says:

Hi. Love your blog and site. Do you have a good recipe for honey cake? Do you put in coffee? And how much? Happy New Year – Mamele!

14. Tori Avey says:

Hi Richard! I have a few honey cake recipes, but I’ve only posted one on the website so far. The one I posted is a little non-traditional because it incorporates apple into the batter (no coffee). Here’s the link if you want to give it a try:

link to theshiksa.com

15. JerZgurl says:

My mom always made her topping with crushed corn flakes. I’m thinking I need to try this recipe for the weekend. :)

16. John says:

Can’t wait to try this, my grandma made this exact dish over 30 years ago and now I finally found it. This is wonderful!!

17. MarilynZ says:

This looks like the recipe I need. Haven’t made a kugel in a really long time & can’t find my own old recipe anywhere. Plan to cut down the size of this one for way fewer servings (maybe 4). Would like to substitute all Whole eggs instead of whipping extra egg whites, also. Hope these two modifications work; they should. Cutting down the size is just math. Changing the eggs may be chance-y part. THANKS. MMz (PS haven’t seen this site before — looks great, I will back.) (grin)

MarilynZ– hope you enjoy it! My family loves this recipe. Whipping the whites lightens the kugel’s texture a bit, but using unseparated eggs will work fine too. Let me know how it goes. Happy you like the site! :)

18. Sophia Aiken says:

Thank you for posting this, i ahve the same exact recipe, but simpler. i really love the idea of the Pineapple, and will try it next time. Thank you!! My dad was Jewish, i am not. my ex is Jewish, and so is my daughter. I am not jewish, but i have an appreciation for their faith, and thier food and celebrations. <3<3

You’re welcome Sophia! I read on Facebook about the cherry topping, what a delicious concept. I have a few kugel recipes that suggest it, but haven’t tried it myself yet. It’s now officially on my “to cook” list! ;)

19. Leah Notarus says:

Hi Tori!

I’m about to try this recipe for the first time… I want to make it for my daughter’s birthday party, tomorrow, but I’m going to substitute the raisins (not a big fan, myself) and pineapple (MIL can’t stand them) for apples, yeah, I know it’s a stretch.

My real question is this… What do you recommend I do for making it today and serving tomorrow… I would like to prep it today and bake it tomorrow. Do you think I can layer it, put it in the fridge…then pop it in the oven tomorrow?

Thoughts? Anyone? Bueller? (Sorry…showing my age…)
    Leah :-)

Hey Leah! Sorry I’m not getting back to you sooner, I’ve been in meetings all afternoon. I’ve never tried assembling this ahead of time, but I’m thinking it should work… make sure you don’t add the crumbly topping till just before you bake it, otherwise it will turn soggy. Hope it turns out well for you! Please let me know, I’d love to hear how the apples taste! And please tell your daughter I said happy birthday. ;)

20. KentuckyBabs says:

Lovely lady you have done it again! Goin to a pot-luck dinner tonight and am so excited to bring this dish! I sub’d out the cottage cheese for ricotta and the pineapple for cranberries, and added a dash of nutmeg! Thanks for the insite to take it there! Please keep doing what your doing!

21. Pingback: Creamy Noodle Kugel on San Diego Living | The Shiksa Blog

22. Saar Shem-Tov says:

How can I NOT make this recipe? It sounds so good, sweet & juicy…. and I love the flavor and spirit of this blog! Nifty graphics too… I’m baking the kugel as I type, added fresh just off the tree apple [i'm in michigan], hoping it doesn’t become mucky. Will be serving the kugel this evening to break the Yom Kippur fast. Results to follow! Thanks!

23. Karen Goldberg says:

I made this recently and was thrilled with the results! It was delicious. I’ve recently married a Jewish man (yes, I’m a shiksa ;-) and your website has great recipes and I know I’ll visit here often. Thank you!

24. Joan says:

Would love to have a noodle kugel that is made with, cottage cheese, eggs, butter, salt and pepper? I cannot remember any other ingredients that my late mother in law used. There was no sugar and the noodles baked into a crunchy top. She was from Russia if that helps. She always served it with many meals and it was wonderful.

Thanks,,

Joan

25. Caitlin says:

Just made this for the first Rosh Hashanah dinner I cooked on my own since getting married, and it was a huge hit! Will definitely be making again. As one shiksa to another, I absolutely LOVE your recipes! Between this, your honey apple cake, and your Passover apple pecan pie, thanks for making me look so good to the new in-laws!

26. Janet says:

I left my noodle kugel out for 2 hrs after coming out of the oven. I fell asleep during these two hrs. Is it safe to eat?

Hi Janet, yes it will be fine as long as your kitchen is not overly warm and humid. It should last for several hours before requiring refrigeration. Enjoy!

27. Tracy says:

Once again you have done it! Amazing recipe! Thanks :)

So happy to hear that Tracy. :)

• Tracy says:

The first batch was such a hit and went so fast that I had to make an other. But I did not have all the ingredients and could not go out because of the snow so I improvised and it came out great! I used pears instead of pineapple, dried cranberries and dried apricots instead of raisins and Greek yogurt in lieu of cottage cheese and sour cream. And I also added nutmeg because I just love nutmeg with pears. Sensational :)

I love how creative you got with it Tracy! Great subs!

28. Hailey says:

Used this recipe (minus the pineapple) for my first attempt at making a kugel and it turned out great! I brought it to a Rosh Hashanah pot luck lunch and everyone thought it was made by a woman who always makes the best Jewish dishes. Needless to say they were all surprised (and I was super happy) that a shiksa had made it!

29. Joy says:

How do you freeze leftover pieces of that kugel? best way -will it get “funny” after defrosting because of the cottage cheese , etc?? Thanks