Slow Cooker Brisket

I promised yesterday that I would share one of my slow cooker brisket recipes with you, so here you go! This is a salty brisket (no sweetness in the sauce).  It’s super easy to make, just pop it in the slow cooker in the morning and let it cook.  Your kitchen will smell delicious all day! If you try it, let me know how it turns out for you!

Slow Cooker

SLOW COOKER BRISKET

4-6 pound beef brisket
2 large white or brown onions, diced
3 bay leaves
¼ cup of water
2 tsp kosher salt or sea salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1/2 tsp sage powder
6 garlic cloves, peeled

Serves 6-10, depending on the size of your brisket.
Kosher Key: Meat, Kosher for Passover

Cover the bottom of the slow cooker with onion, bay leaves, and water.

Rinse brisket, pat dry.  Mix all seasonings in a bowl.  Dry rub both sides of the meat with seasoning mixture.

Place the brisket on top of the onions, fatty side facing up.  Place garlic cloves on top of the brisket, spaced evenly.

Cook on low setting for 8-10 hours.  Turn the brisket once halfway through cooking.  The brisket is done when it’s fork tender.

While the brisket is cooking, check periodically to make sure that the bottom of the cooker is moist.  If the meat is becoming dry, add 1/4 cup of water.  Depending on how much lean your brisket has, you may need to do this a few times.  The less fat there is on the brisket, the less liquid there will be in the slow cooker.

After cooking, remove meat from slow cooker and allow it to rest for about 15 minutes.  This will distribute the juices more evenly throughout the meat. Slice against the grain and place into serving dish.  Strain the bay leaves, onions and garlic out of the cooking juices, then pour juices over the sliced meat.

Cooking juices may also be thickened with potato starch (for Passover) or cornstarch (not kosher for Passover) to make gravy, if you prefer (I do!).  Place cooking liquid in a saucepan over medium heat.  Mix ¼ cup of cornstarch with a little bit of water to form a thick liquid (known as a “slurry”).  Add the liquid slowly to the cooking juices, a tablespoon at a time, stirring well.  The juices will slowly thicken into a flavorful dark gravy.  Be careful not to over-thicken with too much of your slurry.

Enjoy your brisket!

Category: Deli Favorites, Entrees, In the Kitchen, Meat, Nut Free, Passover - Ashkenazi, Passover - Sephardic, Recipes, Tomato Free

1. kathy ashtamker says:

oh my god, i love this recipe. i love how you prepare it tori, it is so delicious! it satisfies my tastebuds and tummy especially because you prepare it so great! :)

but i mean, this is just one of the great foods you prepare when we all have dinner together

2. laq1013 says:

I live in DC and we’re about to get snowed in this weekend. Big storm coming. It’s becoming a “snowed in tradition” for me to make a big, hearty meal and for this weekend, I’ve decided on BRISKET! I have the 2nd Ave Deli cookbook but might use your recipe instead. My boyfriend is Jewish and I’m a Shiksa like you:) I LOVE your blog and was so happy to find that I’m not the only person fascinated with Jewish food! I will add you to my blogroll tonight, too!

3. Tori Avey says:

Wonderful! Hope it turns out well for you. Thanks for reading… stay warm! :)

4. Pingback: SNOWMENU!: Part 3 « Q's Eats

5. Jerry Newman says:

A hint about using the slow cooker. The problem with a slow cooker is that the meat tends to shred if you cook it too long on low. I cook mine in the oven at about 350, but I start it uncovered with out onion or tomato on top at about 500 for about 15 minutes to brown it. I then take it out, add a layer of sliced onion and stewed tomato, cover (I use a turkey roaster with domed lid) for about 50 min a pound at 350.
    You hit the nail on the head about keeping a think layer of fat on (hard to find good butchers who can do the thin layer). You can trim the fat off before serving if you invited any cardiologists for dinner.
    Have a nice Passover.

6. paige says:

I have a Jewish relative that does not usually come for Easter Dinner. I would really like to make him this brisket as he will not eat ham. I really only want to cook 2lbs, would this change the amounts and time

• JustJeanette says:

@Paige: If you are only going to cook a small amount in a slow cooker, make sure the size of your slow cooker is also small then the cooking times will remain the same. If you do not have a small enough pot, use the plastic slow cooker bags from the grocers so you can cook several different things at once, each in its own bag.

7. Martha Bird says:

Thank you for the recipes – like the visual pictures.

8. 12tequilas says:

Hey, I am happy to report that this dish was a hit at our seder. The brisket did not fall apart when I removed it from the slow cooker, as I’d feared, and it was delicious. I have a feeling the leftovers will be even better, after sort of marinating in the juices.

9. Imelda Pearce says:

I love your attitude! I am a reverse shiksa. (A female Jew married to a goy.) I have a nice brisket on hand and I am going to meld our recipes. I just always have trouble believing so little liquid is required. I don’t like the Kosher brisket nearly as much as the organic stuff I get from Whole Foods Market, because it wasn’t juicy and delicious.I love the idea of Kosher meat because of the kindness aspect but the chicken tends to have pinfeathers and the beef tends to be less delicious. Any ways around this you know of?

10. Ruth says:

Wow!! Thank you for getting me so many compliments! Left this cooking during temple for rosh hashanah and worked out perfect! Was worried that meat was covered in liquid but that wasn’t an issue. The last two hours were cooked on high and then it sat on serving plate for about twenty minutes to let juices settle. Thickened the gravy with Wondra and served on the side, meat plated with parsley and perfection!! Thank you!

11. Michelle, Will and Ruby says:

Happy Chanukah! This brisket was well-received by my Jewish husband and mother-in-law, as well as our 2-year old! I was nervous about preparing it, but your instructions were very clear, and I loved the process. Thank you so much!

12. Jess W says:

Thanks for the recipe! Looking forward to cooking this for my passover seder this year. If I plan on either freezing it a week ahead of time or making it a day or two before, would you still cook it for 8-10 hrs in the slow cooker?

Hi Jess, I would cook it for 7-8 hours till tender but not quite completely tender. Let it cool, then follow the Make Ahead instructions in this post: link to theshiksa.com After slicing, reheat in its own sauce for 1-2 hours or until desired tenderness. You can reheat in the slow cooker or oven, whichever you prefer, just make sure you have enough sauce so it doesn’t go dry.

FYI there are two other slow cooker brisket recipes on my site that are great, here are the links:

link to theshiksa.com